Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Left Over Egg Yolks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lisette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Left Over Egg Yolks? Reply with quote

Hi all ~ I'm making a caramel souffle this weekend for my aunt's 60th birthday. It calls for 12 egg whites!!! What should I do with the yolks? I thought about making lemon curd and sharing it with the rest of my family, but all the recipes I find for it call for whole eggs. Any ideas? Thanks!
gisele

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lisette - I sugest you check out the Egg Yolk thread under Recipes. I've posted the link below.

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1171

Good luck with finding a use for that many egg yolks!! Very Happy
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use 2 egg yolks in place of a single whole egg if you don't mind boosting the color to vibrant and the additional richness. That's particularly festive for holiday breads like panforte. Or you can throw an extra yolk into omlettes.

You could make wonderful mayonnaise or any number of flavored variations on it. Or lovely lemony hollandaise.

You could make pasta dough.

And, I'm guessing, in the end, you'll use a number of strategies to use up that many egg yolks.
tannazie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i know this is kind of random and bizarre, but when we were younger, my mom would use egg yolks as a treatment for my sister's and my hair! it was supposed to strengthen and soften the hair -- no wonder, with all the rich fat. she would whip a few egg yolks, rub them through our dry hair, then wrap our heads in a plastic bag or shower cap. after 15 minutes or so, we'd wash it out.

admittedly, it wasn't the most pleasant experience -- it doesn't smell great, and often the warm water in the shower would leave us washing little cooked bits of egg yolk from our hair. but it was a pretty effective old country beauty trick: i think she had learned this from my paternal grandmother, who would do the same thing for my aunts.

ah, what price beauty!

ps mmm... caramel souffle sounds amazing! lucky aunt! =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: