Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

an artist's spirit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: an artist's spirit Reply with quote

"Every one discusses my art and pretends to understand, as if it were necessary to understand, when it is simply necessary to love."

Claude Monet

"I said to myself, I have things in my head that are not like what anyone has taught me -- shapes and ideas so near to me -- so natural to my way of being and thinking that it hasn't occurred to me to put them down. I decided to start anew, to strip away what I had been taught."

Georgia O'Keeffe

care to add a quote or two...any artist/any time

I love reading such language...I imagine the brush being set aside for a moment or two, and now, a pen in hand ~~~~ words...painted words perhaps..

oh how I'm looking forward to what appears...discovery
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you Madame:

from Amadeo Modigliani - "Happiness is and angel with a serious face"

I watched the film Modigliani with Andy Garcia this week but I can't remember if the quote was used in the film.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merci Lovely One...anyone reading this..I do hope along the way you get to either meet the one and only Barbara...or at least someone like her! she's something else again...

ummmmmmmm Andy G....

remember Mr Hopkins as Mr Picasso?

my 2006 diary is from The Met...devoted to van Gogh ~ for years and years I've used UNICEF ones..however this one caught my eye..each week I can dip into something van Goghian...sketches....letters...I love them so much..to see the handwriting of someone who has gifted us with such colour...oh, ok, colour and movement..

the bridge of his!

oops...no quotes...mea culpa Wink [/i]
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: an artist's spirit Reply with quote

This from William Morris, artist, designer, poet, essayist... well you get the idea!!!

'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.'

Dante Gabriel Rossetti was not only the main force behind the Pre-Raphaelites, but a poet too, his painting 'The Blessed Damozel' is from a poem by him that begins,

'The blessed damozel looked out
From the gold bar of Heaven;
Her eyes were deeper than the depth
Of waters stilled at even;
She had three lilies in her hand
And the stars in her hair were seven.'
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh Griffin dear....there is so much that is useful, and so much that is beautiful...and so much that is beautifully useful...and so much that is usefully beautiful..

I could quite easily slip into the William Morris time...love the look of the age...
KathyD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Not from an artist, but from a scientist..... Reply with quote

"To try to be happy is to try to build a machine with no other specification than that it shall run noiselessly."
-Robert Oppenheimer, 1929...in a letter to his brother

And the wonder of life is that we keep trying....and that's what makes life worth living.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KathyD..the wonder is!

A few days back I had a long and lovely chat with a dear friend. We spent hours together talking of life. The idea of life being a mountain..an Everest...and so much time is spent by so many at the base...without a glance to the summit...it's there, even when we can't see it ~ 'n we spoke of those moments where we are on that summit...joyously gulping in the view..and the moments when, free of any burden, some form of beyond the summit occurs. Then, for most, it becomes ~ ah.."So here I am...on the face of the mountain...or at the base of the mountain." That might be when we live in the shadow, rather than acknowledging the shadow. Methinks the base of the mountain is a rather sticky place...takes an effort to make the first move out of it...methinks.

being alive means we've said 'yes' to this...in some form or other (oops..imo Wink )

and we journey on ~ with hope in our pockets as travelling companions.

KathyD, I wish you well on your climb.
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame,

Before I did my first degree in Art History, I studied the Pre-Raphs, Symbolists and Art Nouveau. I utterly fell in love with that period and that hasn't changed. In fact every time I see the familiar patterns of the Arts & Crafts movement I fall in love with it all over again.

As for Lalique jewellery... I can't get enough of that stuff. The Gulbenkian Foundation Museum in Lisbon has the biggest collection of it anywhere... I so want to go there.

Quote:
with hope in our pockets as travelling companions.

I think my hopes have chocolate all over them from being in my pockets!
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame,

Before I did my first degree in Art History, I studied the Pre-Raphs, Symbolists and Art Nouveau. I utterly fell in love with that period and that hasn't changed. In fact every time I see the familiar patterns of the Arts & Crafts movement I fall in love with it all over again.

As for Lalique jewellery... I can't get enough of that stuff. The Gulbenkian Foundation Museum in Lisbon has the biggest collection of it anywhere... I so want to go there.

Quote:
with hope in our pockets as travelling companions.

I think my hopes have chocolate all over them from being in my pockets!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent some time yesterday looking a series of photos of Umberto Eco. Such a fascinating face.

Came across this quote from an interview: "If people buy my books for vanity, I consider it a tax on idiocy."

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: