Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

who's to paint the portrait?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: who's to paint the portrait? Reply with quote

ok..am delighting in reading some of Vincent van Gogh's letters..

It's such a treat to do so...the "other than the painter" aspect of him...and his language is as rich as his paint..

may I share?

to his brother Theo and sister in law Johanna...1889

"Outside the cicadas are singing fit to burst, a harsh screeching, ten times stonger than that of the crickets, and the scorched grass takes on lovely tones of old gold. And the beautiful towns of the South are in the same state as our dead towns along the Zuyder Zee that once were so bustling. Yet in the decline and the decadence of things, the cicadas dear to the good Socrates abide. And here certainly they still sing in ancient Greek...."

we can learn to see and taste and enjoy and wonder...by discovering how others see taste enjoy 'n wonder...

so, when the call comes...I've chosen Vincent to paint my portrait...under the stars...

and you would choose....?

there are many greens for me to discover today...both leafy to eat and leafy to simply see...

care to join me in your liquid of choice and drink to the Vincents of the world..
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one who likes to picnic under a tree in a park I would have to select Edouard Manet. I have always imagined myself as the naked bather in his wonderful Le Dejeuner sur l'Herbe.

My friends and I play a little game when we go to an art exhibition. You must select a painting you would like to be in. Later over coffee or a drink we have quite an interesting discussion about peoples choices. It is a lot of fun.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Barbara's game.. Reply with quote

may I play!...what a fabulous idea...oh that one, and that one and that one...so many paintings..
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're talking eternity here, I choose Rene Magritte. Might as well spend eternity chortling. Wink
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second choice might be Edward Hopper, but he didn't paint portraits. I like Hopper's American iconography. Manet might be another second choice since I'd love to see me at the opera or ballet, but he didn't paint many men. So, I'll pick a conservative favorite: Rembrandt. He alone could probably capture the nuance and complexity.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always felt that Van Gogh's paintings were what dreams should be like. His is the first art that ever had an emotional effect on me and will always be the dearest.
If I was to be the subject in a painting I would choose John Singer Seargent's, Madame X. How great would it be to be the cause of such talk!

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin...you've picked my daughter's favourite painting!...how excited she was to see it "live"..
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The painting has always made me smile. When I saw it in person a few years ago at the Seattle Art Museum it actually made me laugh.

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: second portrait....greedy sitter! Reply with quote

oh..and if Gustav Klimt can spare some time...I wouldn't mind a new version of "The Kiss" Very Happy ....those colours!...swimming together...yet up close all distinct...the joy of seeing the original...checking out all those silver triangles...
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you madame. His brother was a gentle soul. I also enjoyed the letters of Gauguin.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I choose Adolphe-William Bouguereau. Incurably romantic, I love his paintings of "peasants" and mythological characters. Barbara, I have to remember your game! I want to be "Tricoteuse" -- dressed in a beautiful teal skirt, knitting a sock while gazing dreamily into the distance instead of staring intently at my work so I don't drop stitches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: