Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Henkles, Wusthof, Global, OH MY!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWISS_CHEF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Another link for carbon steel knives Reply with quote

Go to http://www.shopping.cutlery.com/ and search "carbon"

I also noticed a link in the "How to cut up a chicken" thread that there was a link showing a chicken being cut up by a carbon steel knife. You can see how the knives develop a patina over time. Each one is different.
See: http://www.courier-journal.com/features/2004/08/11/gallery_cutchicken/10.html
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss Chef wrote:
Go to http://www.shopping.cutlery.com/ and search "carbon"

MWAH! (blowing a kiss toward Switzerland) I'll have some new knives very shortly. Thank you! Very Happy

Brighidsdaughter
doing the new-knife happy dance
SWISS_CHEF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Not all Sabatier knives are the same Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I just found out something interesting. Sabatier is a style of knife not a company. Just like Laguiole knives, lots of different companies make them. This accounts for the variation in quality. I checked my knives and sure enough some are made in Paris and some are from Thiers-Issard and so on. Some (not mine) are even made in china so be careful! Confused
Here are some pictures of my babies.
My Sabatiers:

My W├╝sthofs:

My Nogents: (These are the knives that Julia Child used on her earliest cooking programs and are said to be her favorites.)

Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss Chef they are beautiful!! I had no idea about them being styles and not brands, I will keep that in mind!

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out and bought myself a santoku knife over the weekend and I've been having fun playing with it.

I ended up with a Wusthof partly because it had the combination of blade length I wanted and the hollow-ground edges. But another important factor was that I could hold it in my hand and determine that it felt great. I had expected to get a Global knife 'cause I like the one I have so much. My expectation was dimmed when I saw the Global knife wasn't hollow-ground. Nevertheless, I was still interested until it became clear I couldn't even hold it.

Oh, the nice saleswoman at Sur La Table (an upscale store for serious cooks and confirmed Yuppies) went through box after box looking for the one that had a stock # corresponding to the knife I wanted. And she was even willing to take the inner box out of the protective one and slip off the decorative plastic sleeve. But the knife was secured in its box with a nylon cable tie and it was verboten to remove that unless I committed to buying the knife after I held it. Question huh? So all I could do was hold the box. Shocked I wonder what information the store thinks that provides when you're thinking of making a serious purchase of a piece of equipment on which you will rely daily for many years to come!?!

You know what? I think I'm going to copy this exact note and post it to Sur La Table mentioning that I've expressed my consternation here among serious cooks. Perhaps it will make them rethink the needs of their customers. You think?
SWISS_CHEF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't touch it? Ridiculous! Run from the product and run from the store! The very least they should is have a display out with each of the knives. To me, that is just arrogance! I would write Global too.

Did I mention I am a consumer's advocate?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/swissconsumersforum

Ed
SWISS_CHEF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dull knives? I found this on Egullet: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26036
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWISS_CHEF wrote:
You can't touch it? Ridiculous! Run from the product and run from the store! The very least they should is have a display out with each of the knives. To me, that is just arrogance! I would write Global too.

Did I mention I am a consumer's advocate?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/swissconsumersforum

Ed

You know, I wasn't bright enough to suggest that they let me handle the one they had on display! I'm so embarrassed! Shocked Truth is, though, it was at the top of a case that must have been fully 9' high. Neither 5'1" me nor the 5'4" salesperson would have had a prayer of getting it down.

Fortunately, I was able to hold the one I bought and, since it felt great, I did buy it. Smile

How interesting that you're also a consumer advocate! You're a busy guy!!!
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey,
Is your Wusthof a Culinar or Classic? I mainly have the Culinar, I love them because they are heavy. Have fun with your knife, I love my santoku.

"It's hot ham water."
Ronnie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: MAC Knives? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with or can comment on MAC knives? I look to improve my (currently mediocre) knife collection and have been intrigued with MAC due to their growing popularity in recent years (most likely due to endorsements by several chefs -- Keller, Trotter, Nobu Matsuhisa) and very positive testimonials by several eGullet posters.

Most importantly, my mom had several MAC knives while I was growing up and to this day they are still in great condition! I'm wonder if the quality has changed over the years. However, from what I have read so far, I don't think this is the case.

Many thanks!
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, welcome Ronnie!!! I do not have any experience with Mac knives. I don't say this very often but if Thomas Keller actually uses them in The French Laundry or Bouchon then I would snap them up. I have never seen a chef so meticulous and choosy as he is. If it is only an endorsement then I would think twice. Good luck!

"It's hot ham water."
Ronnie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome, Erin! I like how you pointed out the difference of an endorsement vs. Keller actually using it. From what I've read (on other boards), he does use it but I've seen nothing concrete coming from his camp. I do know, however, that his line of knives are made by MAC.

Nevertheless, my fondness for MAC is more for nostalgic reasons. At this time, I'm leaning toward the MAC Santoku, but for a chef's knife, going the Wusthof Grand Prix II route given its weight and more "sturdy" feel. Makes sense given the Japanese knife is made by a Japanese line and the Western knife is made by a European line. However, given your raves of the Wusthof Culinar line, I will definitely have to check that out! It's definitely an aesthetically beautiful line of knives.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Quality on newer French Carbon Knives Reply with quote

SWISS_CHEF wrote:
Bingo: http://www.greatcookstore.com/cat.php?cat_id=1101

I doubt if Sabatier has changed their quality much. In fact they are probably putting better handles on their knives these days. Some of mine from the 50's have a cheaper grade handle. The very old ones have better quality handles and the new ones I have seen have perhaps the best.

The newer Sabatier carbon knives aren't even remotely like our older French, German, American counter rigs. I bent my new 10" Sabatier carbon chef's knife smooshing garlic! The blade is thick and unwieldy. Your old rat tail french knives are a far nicer blade. The steel carbon or otherwise is all recycled today. Japan is the only one using decent ore, which is one of the reasons why Global and other fancy pants suishi knives cost so damned much. If you can, stick to carbon steel or stainless pre-1987. Surely everyone has heard of some chef or cook somewhere who's broken a stainless blade? Recycled steel is brittle. You won't do that with a 50 year old Sabatier, nope. Knives for life, knives that make you giggle when you use them. Love at first sight!

Biggles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: