Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Spain's Fashon Elite Get's It Right!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Spain's Fashon Elite Get's It Right! Reply with quote

We are allowed to eat again! Not that I am modeling anytime soon.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14748549?GT1=8506

"It's hot ham water."
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Spain! I hope more fashion show organisers follow their good example.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.smh.com.au/news/fashion/body-of-opinion-backs-model-clampdown/2006/09/15/1157827140142.html

what on earth does this photo say about our culture ~ there are times I've wondered what a person without food would think about photos such as these ~ perhaps "She (or more and more now He Crying or Very sad ) chooses not to eat?"

The Sartorialist has a fashion photo each day...he snaps folk on the street...often quite fabulous outfits...NY, Paris, Milan etc...sooooooooooo many stick thin guys...

perhaps if we get to the point where we realise we each have a distinct body shape...basically...'n both starvation and overeating will affect the shape..

anyone familiar with "History of Beauty" by Umberto Eco (what a writer what a writer what a writer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

from amazon:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it also has a lot to do with the beholder's cultural standards. In History of Beauty, renowned author Umberto Eco sets out to demonstrate how every historical era has had its own ideas about eye-appeal. Pages of charts that track archetypes of beauty through the ages ("nude Venus," "nude Adonis," and so forth) may suggest that this book is a historical survey of beautiful people portrayed in art. But History of Beauty is really about the history of philosophical and perceptual notions of perfection and how they have been applied to ideas and objects, as well as to the human body. This survey ranges over such themes as the mathematics of ideal proportions, the problem of representing ugliness, the fascination of the exotic and art for art's sake. Along the way, the text examines the intersection of standards of beauty with Christian belief, notions of the Sublime, the philosophies of Kant and Hegel, and bourgeois culture. More than 300 illustrations trace the history of Western art as it relates, in the broadest sense, to the topic of beauty.
Erin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 20 I was a size two, a certain family member informed me I was getting fat. What ???? When did being able to see someones spine become a sign of health and beauty? Why is beauty so much more important than accomplishments? If we only have beauty then we are boring.

"It's hot ham water."
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that we have beauty not when we are merely attractive but when we have something worth saying. When we are ethical and compassionate, gentle... and when we can make others smile by our own words. I don't know what any of you look like and I don't care. You are fascinating in yourselves and that is what real beauty should be about.

In any case, beauty - as a value is irrelevant. 'Nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so.' as that nice Billy Shakespeare wrote. But we are all perfect. The definition of perfection is against something similar. We say that Kate Moss is perfect compared to whoever. But there is nobody like anyone else. We are all unique individuals. Therefore we are each the most perfect of our own kind there is. We are literally incomparable.

Except in my case... I am a perfect nuisance... tho' I admit that is largely due to practice and a devotion to it. Wink
Erin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put.

"It's hot ham water."
charlsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reaction in french haute couture circles was less than enthusiastic ! Some even said it was discrimination against the skinny girls trying to work ! And still a BMI of 18, as the one desired for the spanish fashion show, is below medical recommandations for health, 20 being the minimum.
Beauty and health have a hard time living together ! and beauty truly is a matter of point of view... I am still a pretty shapely lady, with about 5 to 10 exces kilos on me, according to my scale, yet a perfectly acceptable shape, due to the weigh of all the muscles I built riding my bike ! My man finds me to his taste and threatened to leave me if I lost so much as another gram ! He likes my curves... yet I still have a BMI of 27, 2 points above health standards...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cameron

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray for Spain!

I'm 23 years old, and most women my age are just as obsessed as they were in their teens with being as slender as possible. I counted myself among them until I began dating my current boyfriend (almost 3 years now!) who worships the curve. He says he's repulsed by girls with hipbones/collarbones/ribs/sternum/vertebrae protruding from their skin. And he means it too--that is to say, I've never seen him secretly checking out anyone tall and willowy.

Now I love being my petite curvy self, and always feel a bit sorry for the skinny joggers I see around my campus. Some of them, I know, just want to be healthy, but most of them are probably doing it in order to have a degree of confidence that they'll never get from a mere number on a scale.

- Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: