Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

lemon poppyseed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chucha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: lemon poppyseed? Reply with quote

i have a tremendous amount of poppyseeds that i need to make good use of and i thought of lemon poppyseed cakes and muffins. unfortunately i don't have any good recipes for this type of cake. do you? i would love to try something that isn't dripping with butter or oil, if possible. please share your recipes!
woodstocker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could try a lemon-poppyseed angel food cake? I've seen lemon angel food cakes before, but I'm not sure how (or if) the seeds would make a difference.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemon Poppyseed anything sounds good to me. I like your idea, Woodstocker, but I think a poppyseed angel food cake with lemon mousse on the side would be good, too.

There are also several cooked poppyseed fillings, often referred to as "mohn", which are especially good as filling for little pastries. If you're trying to cut down on fats/oils, I think the cooked poppyseed filling would taste good as a filling for little meringue shells. The flavor, texture, and color contrasts of mohn-filled little meringues would be quite sophisticated, I think. I haven't done this, but I plan to try when the weather cools off a bit more.
MissLauren

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd share another great muffin recipe, that's really quick and easy to make and never fails to impress or satisfy a hunger pang!

Lemon Poppy seed muffins:

8oz self raising flour
6oz granulated sugar
1oz poppy seeds
zest of one lemon
5 fluid oz milk
5 fluid oz vegetable oil
1 egg
juice of half lemon

Lemon Drizzle topping:

2 tablesppons sugar
juice one lemon

Simply mix together and pour into muffin cases and bake.
Once cooled, make the lemon drizzle topping then pour over and allow to set.
Enjoy!
chocolatemoose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a recipe for a lemon poppyseed cake - courtesy of Nigella originally

1 cup softened, unsalted butter
3/4 cup caster sugar
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 1/2 lemons
3 lg eggs, beaten
1 1/3 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
2 tablespoons poppyseeds

1) beat together butter and sugar
2) add zest
3) beat in eggs
4) mix in flour and poppyseeds
5) add lemon juice

bake for 1 hour @ 180

(I usually make this in a 2lb loaf tin)
LGT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Very adaptable lemon cake Reply with quote

Afternoon all,

Deb at Smittenkitchen.com has a fantastic recipe for a "lemon yoghurt anything cake", that I made a few days ago. As the title suggests, it is very versatile, and I left out the blueberries and used poppy seeds instead. The result was absolutely delicious (and I'm glad to say I have a slice in my bag for my lunch today! Not just cake, though...other, more sensible lunch-type stuff too...ahem)

I also added extra lemon zest and used half yoghurt and half creme fraiche. This gave a beautifully moist and squidgy yet light cake that I will defintiely be making again! Hope this is helpful, LGT Smile
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, cake! Squidgy being a technical term of course. I like the idea of lemon yogurt anything cake!

LGT - great to have another Brit here!
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who turns to this thread for ideas to use up poppy seeds should consider this flourless poppyseed cake, a recent favorite of ours.
Clotilde.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chucha, I imagine you've used the poppy seeds by now! However the words 'poppy seeds' remind me of a woman I met on a train. She was knitting the European way and I was intrigued and got into conversation with her. From Transylvania she was ~ I asked her about food from the area. She invited me to her home for lunch! I'd been so excited speaking with her about her cooking that she too became excited.

When I asked her about goulash she said 'Without the 'l'. You don't say the 'l''.

Lunch was the most exquisite goulash with little twisted egg noodles plus I saw her make a walnut and poppy seed roll. I was there for hours and hours! She sent me home with forget-me-not plants that joyously have run riot through our garden!

The following is pretty much as I remember...

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Beigli-(Hungarian-Poppy-Seed-&-Walnut-Rolls)

I'm all inspired!!!
foodiemom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madameshawshank wrote:
chucha, I imagine you've used the poppy seeds by now! However the words 'poppy seeds' remind me of a woman I met on a train. She was knitting the European way and I was intrigued and got into conversation with her. From Transylvania she was ~ I asked her about food from the area. She invited me to her home for lunch! I'd been so excited speaking with her about her cooking that she too became excited.

When I asked her about goulash she said 'Without the 'l'. You don't say the 'l''.

Lunch was the most exquisite goulash with little twisted egg noodles plus I saw her make a walnut and poppy seed roll. I was there for hours and hours! She sent me home with forget-me-not plants that joyously have run riot through our garden!

The following is pretty much as I remember...

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Beigli-(Hungarian-Poppy-Seed-&-Walnut-Rolls)

I'm all inspired!!!

Wow! This is an AMAZING story!!
Giuseppina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another recipe for a moist lemon Poppy Seed cake:

Ingredients

2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/8 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
4 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 1/3 cups unsalted butter, softened
5 eggs
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup lemon juice

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
Sift together the flour, 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons white sugar and salt. Then mix in the lemon peel, poppy seeds and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

In a saucepan over low heat; cook 3/4 cup white sugar and the lemon juice until stirring until sugar is dissolved. Let cool to just warm or to room temperature.

Remove the cake from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack-place a cookie sheet underneath this rack. Prick the top of the cake several times with a toothpick. Brush the top of the cake with the warm or room temperature syrup, allowing lots of the syrup to run down and soak into the sides and bottom of the cake. Cool slightly in the pan before removing the cake to the wire rack to cool completely. When completely cooled, wrap the cake in foil or plastic freezer wrap and let the cake rest at least one day before serving to your guests.
Coke Coupon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: