Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Happy Day that Goes Sour ...if I'm Lucky
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, I know — it goes by so fast. All of a sudden we're having to race through all the business of getting Iz' car in good order, ditto his teeth and then we'll be running around getting the new tidy whities for his new year. Wink

Rach, is already ensconced up there and classes start on Tues. She's had a bit of last minute freaking out but I think she's ready to put that aside and dig in. I'm certain once she knows where she's headed, she'll find she's doing fine or knows what direction to go for shoring up. Either way, more productive stress than just freaking.

Iz has consented to let us drive up some of his stuff so we have the excuse for a long weekend on the coast. Rach will drive down. A bit later, Berkeley's first away game will be with USC so Steve's got a USC alum working on some tix. She may come join us for that but, of course, Steve is like a kid who got the keys to a candy store since he's got a reason to go to some college football. Wink I'm just hoping this time I'll get to go to Gayle's Bakery while I'm there.

Interestingly, Rach says she can get her textbooks below retail. Do you happen to know if the Berkeley bookstore is a co-op? We're hoping they'll carry some of Iz' texts now that I've learned about box o' booksing.

I hope it will be a rewarding and successful year for you. And I hope Ben's excited about his next year. Did he spend any time with you in CT?

Anyway, I'll give you a heads up when we come up to NoCal and I'll hope I can bring a bottle of vinegar with me.

PS Did you see georgia say that the Oak Barrel Store on San Pablo sells a red wine mother in a bottle of vinegar? That would be a great, sure fire way to get started.
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PS Did you see georgia say that the Oak Barrel Store on San Pablo sells a red wine mother in a bottle of vinegar? That would be a great, sure fire way to get started.

I DID make a note of that! I'd love to get started making vinegar to give as Christmas and hostess gifties! Laughing

Sam is coming down to school with me tomorrow (Saturday work - ugh) to help me move my office - so maybe we'll stop by after our work is done and see what they have. I will have to work hard to find a vinegar jar as much of a bargain as yours! They didn't have 2 of them at that store, did they? Wink
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna wrote:
They didn't have 2 of them at that store, did they? Wink

Alas, no, or I would have skapped up the second one to do white. They did say it looks like a Sur la Table in Ohio has one. If it's worth it to you, you might call a local one and see if they'd get it transferred to you.

It's really cute so if they'd do that, or put you in touch it might be worth the trouble and potential shipping.

And, damn!, there's no manufacturer's info on the jar so I couldn't help you do a net search. The only searches I could write didn't turn up much. ...except that gorgeous French wooden one.
gisele

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right,

making vinegar properly

has just been added to my list of things that I want to do when I can afford to buy my own house on a lifestyle block/farm at live on it as sustainably (not even sur eif that's a word) as I possibly can...

I made raspberry vinegar a couple of months ago, but i cheated and just used raspberries and white vinegar, through it all into a big glass jar, the type you use for making spirits/wine, the name of which has currently escaped me, and hid it in the back of a cupboard. It's currently a glorious pinky-red colour...i must find some muslin to drain it through so that i can bottle it and actually use it!

I'm storing all this knowledge about vinegar for a time whenmaking it is practical Very Happy
georgia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, did you get the info I sent? I'm about to take off for a couple of weeks and just want to know that you are turning sour properly Smile
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. It hasn't arrive but no doubt it will in a day or two.

I had to get a second spigot. The one that came with wouldn't stop dripping but the second one was water tight right away, so I poured in 3 bottles of Cab, the mother and my oak chunks. So far, mom hasn't surfaced. If she doesn't in a day or two I'll just toddle back to the fermenting supply store and get a commercial mother.

I can smell the wine each time I walk into the kitchen.

Meanwhile, I had a much postponed dentist appt today and heard that I need a root canal, a couple crowns and gum surgery (I said much postponed...), so I am as sour as I'm likely to be for a good while. Shocked

Have a good trip. Wink
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Rainey! Take advantage of the nitrous, take advantage of the earphones (and TV if it's offered!) and you'll be comfortable, if not quite enthusiastic, throughout. Excuse the expression, it'll be a piece of cake.

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
georgia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey...sorry about the dentist. Perhaps you should have drunk those 3 bottles of cab instead of pouring them into the vinegar jug!

Yes, the spigot needs to be airtight on those things. From what you are describing, I think I bought that same jug for my daughter and s-i-l. Their efforts were thwarted by fruit flies buzzing around, and I suspect it's because they didn't get the spigot to swell properly.

Give the mother a little while to get going. Once she's there, she's a constant presence. Just like the rest of us.

Thanks to everyone who sent London lunch suggestions. I'll see what the ladies (mom and aunt) want to do. If we get tired of fish and chips, we'll go upscale! Cheerio!
georgia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey...HELP...I apologize for going through the public forum to reach you, but I seem to be royally screwing up the private mailbox. Would you please contact me again. My snailmail to you (on vinegar) has been returned, and I can't find any record of my attempts to communicate with you via the private mailbox.

Sorry, everybody...
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd post this link http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/04/dining/04vinegar.html?_r=1&oref=slogin for anyone who's also interested in vinegar.

As it turns out, Millbrook was very close to where I used to live in the Mid-Hudson area. I can't say I remember a monastery in Millbrook but the area was particularly beautiful and many religious groups owned great swaths lining either side of the river and also small, discrete in-land properties such as this throughout the area.

Also, since I made my lucky find, I found out that Emil Henry has a vinegar jug that's available on-line in the US. It's most attractive but has a hefty price tag close to $100.

georgia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooohh...pretty...i'm starting to think (after all this time) that the spigot on my container may be too low. sometimes, if the mother is especially plentiful and thick, the vinegar has trouble finding its way to the spigot. then again, perhaps this is just my way of justifying my desire for the emile henry jug. very likely.

rainey, do you have anything that looks/smells/tastes like it's on its way to becoming vinegar yet? by now, you should, even if it needs a ways to go.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you supposed to divide your mother when it gets too big? Not that I know when that might be, mind you. I just remember reading that's how most new people get a mother.

At first I stuck my nose in the jug every day and then shined in a flashlight to see if I could spot evidence of the mother. Lately, I've been so busy and jobs are piling faster than I can clear the ones I started with so I hadn't thought about it. Thank god it has no need of me! Wink

It has lost the sour smell. I think I can smell the fruitiness better. I've always had lousy sinuses and I've never been able to smell with much accuity or nuance but there's a smell there that's different than before. I don't smell the sharpness of vinegar. Is there a less aggressive stage in between "sour" and "acid"?

Meanwhile, no sign whatever of my initial mother or the one I bought when the first disappeared. The fermenting store say "relax" it's working in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: