Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

apricot & almond cake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: apricot & almond cake Reply with quote

Apricots and almonds are two of my favorite things - and I love them together! This recipe is an adaptation of one from the SF Chronicle at the height of almond season.

I took this to school today for my snack day contribution and it was a hit! It was gone by first recess!

Toasted Almond & Apricot Cake

• 8 ounces unsalted butter
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
• 4 large eggs
• 1-2 tablespoons orange zest (more is better, to my way of thinking)
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 1/4 cups flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 scant teaspoon ground cardamom
• 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
• 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
• 2 cups coarsley chopped dried apricots
• 1 cup chopped dried cherries
• 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted almonds (chop first, then toast)

The Glaze
• 2 cups powdered sugar
• 4-5 tablespoons orange juice

INSTRUCTIONS

Pre-heat oven to 350º Fahrenheit. Generously grease a 9X13 inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and two sugars together til light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla extract and orange zest.

In a medium bowl stir together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the cardamom, mace, cinnamon, apricots, cherries and almonds. Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture and blend well to make a batter. Spread the batter into your prepared baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let it cool for 20-30 minutes before you glaze it.

For the glaze, mix the sifted powdered sugar with the orange juice. You may have to adjust the sugar or the orange juice amount to get the consistency you want. It shouldn't be too runny or too stiff. Let it rest for 20-30 minutes up to overnight, as the glaze sets. Cut into 24
portions.

It seems to me you could substitute any nut or dried fruit you enjoyed in this cake and be very happy!

Enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: