Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

french substitutes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! Every time I come on here to say ONE thing, you guys have set up three more really interesting topics and I can't get away from the *&^ computer monitor! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad [said the girl with, aparently, NO self-control] Wink

Aaaanywaaaay, I may have a French stock solution for you. Today I'm making mushroom barley soup from stock that I cooked for 2 days in my slow cooker. It didn't get reduced and simply isn't flavorful enough but if I reduce it I'm going to end up with a bowl of soup and not the hearty dinner I had anticipated. So I headed off to Whole Foods looking for a good fortification.

I came home with Aromont demi-glace. This is a French product that will make a gallon of stock from 210g of demi-glace.

The French address is: Aromont SA, 02340 Montcornet. France. [That doesn't seem like nearly enough info for an address, does it? But it's what's on the tiny jar.] Perhaps if people could reach them, they could advise where local distributors/retailers would be.

They produce beef, chicken and vegetable products. The jar (beef) I have has quite a number of things in it that I've never seen in a stock recipe, but maybe it would be a port in a storm for somebody on that side of the Atlantic.
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejm wrote:

Here is a page with the recipes we use for making chicken or vegetable stock:

http://ejmtph.crosswinds.net/recipes/soup.html

Thanks for the link; I may buy a rotisserie chicken from the butcher today and just use the bones. But first, I'm off to Thanksgiving, the American store, to see if maybe they have it.

I know bouillion is a good substitute, but it can get salty. Also I use stock a lot on smaller quantities, like to make a version of 7-hour lamb (my plan for tonight) or to moisten left-over lentils or split peas. I'll keep you posted on my travails!
ejm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Amalthea wrote:
Also I use stock a lot on smaller quantities, like to make a version of 7-hour lamb (my plan for tonight) or to moisten left-over lentils or split peas.

Good luck at the American store, Lady Amalthea - but don't let that stop you from making stock anyway.... Freeze your stock in icecube trays like my sister does.
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I ended up wandering all around looking for stock (only vegetable soup at the American store) and finally went to the Jewish quarter where they offered me dehydrated stock, chicken broth and kosher bouillon cubes. I opted for the kosher bouillon cubes and the woman assured me they were good and not terribly salty She was right! I even used two in my borscht tonight. One of these days, though, I will make stock from scratch...
ejm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you found some decent bouillon cubes. Smile

Lady Amalthea wrote:
One of these days, though, I will make stock from scratch...

You'll be amazed at how easy it is and how little working time it takes. And the return is multifold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: