Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Home Food

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Home Food Reply with quote

I have just finally gotten around to reading last months issue of Gourmet magazine and read about an interesting program in Italy. When Phil and I are in Italy next year we are totally doing this.

http://www.homefood.it/index.cfm?p=ChiSiamo

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fascinating Erin! Don't you just love the idea of a "Ministry of Agricultural Politics"?
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How wonderful!

When I was in Italy studying the Reggio Emilia approach to Early Childhood Ed they were quite deliberate in featuring a different regional product at every meal we shared. I can still remember my surprise at seeing, at one event, a whole wheel of Reggiano Parmesan that had simply had the top rind removed and half a dozen tiny cheese chisels inserted for our use. I had never simply had shards of Parmesan without a bowl of pasta. But the impact was a whole wheel for 30-35 people! The final banquet was most assuredly a warm event of food, good company and much singing!

There's a lot of pride in local products — and food especially. The Slow Food Movement, of course, began in Italy. So this is a logical, if exuberant and personal, outgrowth.

I hope you really will be able to enjoy it thoroughly!
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey,
A wheel of parm is my dream. Well that and a leg of wild boar proscuitto. Sort of a gourmet Homer Simpson I guess. I am always fascinated by your life Rainey. You've done some really cool things.

David,
I do, I really, really do.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin- You're kidding! You've heard about every single of the dozen moments of 58 years that are worth repeating. In truth, I have (by choice pretty much) a boring, conventional life.

And, what are you doing in exile? ...speaking of interesting and eventful.
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got home from Seattle and am feeling pretty cranky about it. Don't mind me.
Rainey, boring? My impression of you is of someone who opened her eyes, ears, let the world wash over to shape who you are. Maybe I'm wrong?.......................................................but, I don't think so!

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin- That is certainly my goal but I wish it were much more true. Steve and I do OK but we have rarely been in front of the economic freight car that's thundering down the track. When we're keeping up we feel good about it but it hasn't left anything over for travel.

The meager amount of traveling we have been able to do has been for his work or, more rarely like that Reggio Emilia trip, for mine. What I am very happy about is the times we have been able to live in other places. There's a world of difference between getting as much as you can into a too-short-but-always-memorable interval and trying to meet the same needs with the same resources as the folks around you.

As an aside, being born defines so much of who we are: male/female, Occidental/Oriental/etc, poor/fortunate, plains people/islanders/mountain dwellers/forest folk, are we born to industrialized cultures or closer to nature; decision-making classes or subject to the decisions of others. I see our jobs as crossing or challenging as many of those barriers as we can to be truly human beings. If you think you're going around only once, best to make the most of it; if you think you're going around until you get it right, best get as close as you can.

That's part of why food interests me. It's something we all share. And so much of it is local adaptations of the same vital things like bread and noodles and beer. Wonderful, noble, pleasant peasant food that keeps us going and reminds us that we're part of the same river of humanity.

Hoping you are able to get back to the NorthWest as soon as possible. I know just why you miss it.
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea Erin. I look forward to your report on it....and congrats on the new dishwasher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: