Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Lucky Me: Ceramic knives & new kitchen gadget

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Lucky Me: Ceramic knives & new kitchen gadget Reply with quote

I bought Steve a new coffee maker this morning and they had ceramic blade knives at a great price so I came home with a set with a santuko and a paring knife.

I used the santuko when I was chopping veggies for a corn chowder. The blade is so thin if you hold it up to a light you can see things on the other side like the printed name and water droplets. It's incredibly light. And it was so sharp that, if I hadn't been watching my hands, I wouldn't even have known I was cutting through the veggies. I've waited a lo-o-o-ong time to try a ceramic blade but I think it's really going to be fun to use and well worth the wait.

Then, at the register, they had the cutest little gizmo. It's a spring-loaded clip like the kind you use to keep potato chip bags closed, but it has little rubber feet to grab the sides of a pot and then inverted little rubber "hooks" to hold the handle of a spoon over the pot. No need for a spoon rest (which always break on me and I can never remember to use them anyway). And the spoon drips right back into whatever you're brewing without picking up any of the heat. Nifty!
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey,

As someone who has worked with decorative arts, I've heard of ceramic knives but never seen one. Were they expensive? Who are the makers? What do they look like - apart from so thin you can see through them? Are they porcelain or stoneware? Questions, questions????!!!!
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey,

This reminds me to ask if you have a special knife dawer built into your kitchen plans? I had one in my old custom-designed-by-my-architect- husband kitchen and I miss it terribly. I went out and bought a wooden knife holder to fit in a drawer, but it's barely adequate. And God forbid I should find out where your ceramic knives were on sale and run out and get one - NO ROOM!Crying or Very sad

Me want spoon holder!!!!!! Must search out!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin- Here's a link to Kyocera: http://kyoceraadvancedceramics.com/products/ Page around in there and you can see pictures and more info than I can supply. In fact, they discuss it from many perspectives like how it's used, what the advantages/limitations are and have photos.

The high-tech ceramic called zirconium oxide that they're made from doesn't "look" ceramic at all. But far be it from me (who dropped out of high school chemistry) to argue with them. They "look" as though they're a cheap lightweight metal that's white. But they're supposed to hold their edge longer than any other construction material. Good thing! They can't be sharpened except by the factory.

When they first came on the market they were very expensive. Now you can get cheap knockoffs for about $30 and up. These were good quality ones and the set of the santuko and a paring knife was only about $10 more than the sale price on a utility knife. I may actually go back for the 5" utility.

Donna- I haven't gotten that far in my nuts and bolts planning (in fact, yesterday I found out nothing's going to happen now until after December)(it turns out we will have to have new footings built in the tiny, dark, spider-filled crawl space under the house before we can take out 7' of the wall that divides the kitchen from what will be the new family room). But I guess I was thinking in terms of a mag strip for my metal blade knives. Now I use a wooden block and those plastic "cases" for the ones I don't have other space for ( http://www.cutlerycuts.com/knifeprotectors.htm ).

A special knife drawer sounds wonderful but I don't think I'm going to have that much room that I can devote a whole drawer to knives. My kitchen is very small and the actual "kitchen" part of the kitchen will get smaller rather than larger. The new storage I'm adding will all be on the other side of the wall that will become a peninsula and the pantry which will be off to one side through a door.

It's good to think about these things now though, so thanks so much for the thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: