Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

restaurant arpège (alain passard) is it still worth going?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sterrenstorm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: restaurant arpège (alain passard) is it still worth going? Reply with quote

Hi,

I hope someone can give me advice: I am going there next thursday for a very special occasion. But... I read on several sites very different opinions on the restaurant. The evening has to be perfect (food and ambiance) but when I read the comments, I am not so sure about going there anymore. And now it is too late to make reservations for another restaurant. Sad Sad
Thank you so much If you can be of any help!!
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sterrenstorm
I had an amazing lunch there earlier this year. I wouldn't say that the meal was the best I've ever had - but then I don't know if I could claim any one meal to be my 'best' ever, there being so many meals each having been amazing in their own way. But, it was an experience. My first (maybe my only?!) three-star restaurant so maybe that is true for all restaurants of that caliber?

We arrived at lunchtime, didn't leave till after 5pm, and had an absolute blast. The restaurant itself is incredibly understated, the service was impeccable, and the 8, 9, 10 course meal (plus wine - hence my shady memory of some of the preceise details) really kept us guessing. I enjoyed the surprise of it and the fact that it wasn't meat-based. And at the end of it, we didn't have that overladen feeling that often a French meal can give you. And did I mention that the wine we drank was really quite special?

I have some real criticism too. I don't want to spoil your meal in advance by giving you things to compare your meal to. I was lucky in that knew nothing about it when I went - it was a surprise invitation - and so had no expectations. I didn't pay - & I have absolutely no idea of the total bill - which maybe also contributed to my light-hearted enjoyment of it!
Let me know if you want me to be more specific in my critique.
sterrenstorm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bekbeka!
Thank you for your reply. So far I don't really have to be afraid of at least one aspect I have read about (the service).

Yes, I am curious about you critique. Please let me know!
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here goes.
My main critique rests on the consistency of the food. There were some courses that were really knock-out, surprising, creative, really good. But then there were several that we were all quite ho-hum about. And for me - being a real sweet-tooth - the dessert was the real let-down. It was some kind of nut-based souffle, maybe hazel-nut & coffee or chocolate, I can't quite remember, but it was not great and even, dare I say it, really boring. Especially having a meal that was long but that really didn't leave us feeling remotely bloated, I was looking forward to a knock-out final note, something to finish the meal off decisively. And this just didn't do it.

Maybe not a big deal for some people, but for me - that was the major disappointment.

If you do end up going, I hope you have a great time, really enjoy the experience. Do let me know how it goes - I'd be really interested to know your thoughts. And tell me what you think of the butter!
sterrenstorm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've confirmed my reservation this afternoon, so decided to go... I wrote Clothilde an email before and she wrote me that she never heard anything about bad service or the food. She told me, just like you, to enjoy the experience!! I guess I am also nervous about everything. I hope I have a great story to tell you next week.

Keep you posted!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: