Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Maryland Crab Cakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeanjo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Maryland Crab Cakes Reply with quote

1 pound crab meat (fresh lump crab meat is best, may use canned meat)
1 cup bread crumbs (crumble 2 slices of white bread)
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon Old Bay or Chesapeake Style Seafood Seasoning (optional)
oil or butter for frying

Mix everything, except oil, together lightly. Form into 7 or 8 cakes. Heat butter and fry cakes about 5 minutes on each side. Serve on bread. A little lettuce and a slice of tomato are good additions to the sandwich.

Enjoy.
Adriene

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Emeril Lagasse's Crab Cakes - to die for! Reply with quote

A colleague and I got together on a Sunday afternoon and made a quadruple batch of these crab cakes. They were incredible. Mostly due to the fact that we used king crab legs - but still a fabulous recipe. ENJOY!

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 10 cakes

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup yellow onions, small dice
1/2 cup celery, small dice
1/4 cup red bell peppers, small dice
1/4 cup yellow bell peppers, small dice
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1 pound lump crab meat, cleaned and picked for cartilage
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1/4 cup Parmesan Reggiano cheese, grated
2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
3 tablespoons Creole mustard
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, (juice of 2 lemons)
2 eggs
3 cups, plus 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/4 cup al all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons Creole seasoning, in all, recipe follows
1-1/2 cups fine bread crumbs
1 tablespoon water
Salt and pepper

In a medium saute pan, over medium heat the olive oil. Add the onions, celery, and peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to saute for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and cool for 5 minutes. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the crab meat, green onions, grated cheese, parsley, Creole mustard, and juice of one lemon together. Mix to incorporate. Set the mixture aside.
In a food processor with a metal blade, process one egg and remainder of lemon juice for 1 minute. With the machine running, slowly add 1/2 cup vegetable oil. The mixture will be thick after all the oil is incorporated. Add the Worcestershire and hot sauce, process the mixture to incorporate. Season the mayonnaise with salt and pepper. Fold the Sauteed vegetables into the crab mixture. Fold in 1/2 cup of the mayonnaise and 3/4 cup of bread crumbs into the crab mixture. Mix well. In a shallow bowl, season the flour with 1 teaspoon of the Creole seasoning. In another bowl, whisk the remaining egg with the water. Finally in one bowl, combine the remaining bread crumbs and 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning together. Portion the filling into 1/3 cup balls. Form the balls into patties, about 1 inch thick. Pour the oil into a saute pan and heat to 360 degrees F, about 2 minutes. Dredge the cakes in the seasoned flour. Dip the cakes in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Dredge the cakes in the seasoned bread crumbs, covering the cakes completely. Gently lay the cakes in the oil and fry for 4 minutes on each side. Remove the cakes from the oil and drain on a paperlined plate. Season the cakes with the remaining Creole seasoning.

(I just used some creole seasoning out of the spice cabinent)

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Donna

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this originally a few months ago, but thought I would add it to these other recipes. One easy click to get some great ideas about crab cakes!

Several months ago in the SF Chronicle, they reviewed canned crab. I almost didn't read the article, as the notion of canned crab struck me as about as appealing as canned green beans - Rolling Eyes . But, happily I did read it and the top contender for REAL CRAB in a can was the brand Byrd's - found at Trader Joe's in the rerigerated section. I am not sure what brands they tasted besides Byrd's, but it came out with a score of about 90 out of a possible 100, so I didn't pay any attention to the others. This group of tasters is notoriously fussy - and I don't always agree with them - but in this case, there were spot on!

I bought some and tried it out and AMAZINGLY, it is quite wonderful! Saturday I made a batch of crab cakes. Because it was warm here, I served them with sliced tomates and a green salad. A very simple easy supper - no muss, no fuss - and happily gobbled down by the two of us! So I thought I'd share the recipe with you all:

Crab cakes

•1 lb. Byrd's canned crab
•3/4 cup toasted bread crumbs (I toasted stale baguette slices and then threw them in the food processor)
•2 eggs
•4-5 finely chopped green onions (or you might substitute chopped shallots and parsley)
•1/2 C. cream
•juice of 1/2 lemon
•1 heaping Tbsp. Dijon mustard
•healthy shot of Tabasco (I have also used a finely minced jalapeno in this - some or all of one, depending on the people you are serving)

• a shallow bowl of coarse ground corn meal (polenta)

Mix all the ingredients except the corn meal in a mixing bowl. Stir until really well mixed and cohesive. If it seems too dry and does not congeal, add a tad more cream and/or lemon juice. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 2-3 hours at least. You can make these a couple of days before you plan to eat them, if necessary.

Heat a griddle or skillet on the stove with 1-2 TBSP. unsalted butter (my preference, you may prefer canola or a light olive oil). You may need to add butter as you cook them.

Form the crab mixture into patties. Place in the bowl of corn meal and pat the cornmeal onto the pattie.

Fry on a medium high heat for 3-4 minutes and gently turn to cook the second side. Really - be gentle. They like to fall apart!

If necessary, drain on a paper towel and serve immediately. When I serve these as appetizers, I serve them on a frill of red lettuce with a lemon section, some parsley and a few capers. I have served them with a very garlicky aioli also - yum.

A nice sauvignon blanc goes will with these when served as a main course.

A pound of crab make about 14 crab cakes for me. So - we ate half and I put the other half on a cookie sheet to freeze while we ate dinner. After dinner, I put the frozen crab cakes in a ziplock bag and back into the freezer for a future dinner. Freezing them first, uncovered on the cookie sheet, eliminates the condensation that occurs and causes them to be mushy the next time.

Enjoy! Cool
David

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just printed off all 3 recipes---don't know which one I will try first but am certainly looking forward to it. I had crab cakes the other night--I had forgotten how good they can be!
swan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'ts funny that certain things are quite normal for you guys 'over there', whilst they're very rare here in the Netherlands(maybe even in Europe)...like crabcakes. Crabmeat here comes in tiny, very, very expensive tins, that might explain it.
UptownGirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Great Recipe Reply with quote

I used the first recipe b/c I had all of the ingredients on hand, except the Old Bay Seasoning...

It was a little salty, possibly b/c I wasn't measuring very well and perhaps b/c I used canned crab, but other than that, yum, crab cakes in November in Minnesota, love it!

Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: