Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Good cooking magazines
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaffolk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Good cooking magazines Reply with quote

Hi.

I've been a subscriber for a German cooking magazine for a few years now, but recently I'm kind of unsatisfied with it. I guess I'll cancel my subscription come next year, but of course I have several other magazines I'd like to try out.

Unfortunately all three of them are foreign, so I guess I'd have to subscribe to them to check them out, since I wouldn't know how to get them.

The three oh-so-tempting magazines are Donna Hay's magazine (http://www.donnahay.com.au/), BBC's Olive (http://secure2.subscribeonline.co.uk/bbcmagazines/subscription.cfm?mag=OLIV) and the French RĂ©gal (too lazy to look for the link now).

I'd be willing to subscribe to all three of them, although I think my husband will think I'm crazy if I do. I've checked a couple of international magazine stands, but never could find any of these, so I'm basically relying on "instincts" and helpful advice. I have no special reason why I chose those three, they just looked good and interesting enough, if you can judge a magazine by its cover.

I guess my question is: Do you know any of these magazines, and if you do, are they any good?

Of course I'd love to hear other suggestions to good cooking magazines. I can read German, English and French and I'd probably be able to decipher enough Dutch, so keep your ideas coming.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaffolk, we had quite a lively discussion about Magazines for Foodies a while ago. You might get some good ideas from that thread, and some other opinions about the magazines you are interested in.

I love Donna Hay's magazines and books. They are beautifully presented, the recipes are generally fairly quick and easy with not too many ingredients, and they work!

Barbara over at winosandfoodies has even started a regular blogging event in Donna's honour - Hay Hay It's Donna Day.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
birgit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jaffolk,

I don't know much about Leverkusen, but you could try the magazine store of your local train station. The bigger the town, the more foodie-mags can be found there. Today I spotted e.g. Olive and Food & Travel which I never thought of finding in this country. It might be as well helpful to ask the staff which magazines they use to order, because usually there is some time between the release date printed in the magazine and the actual date the mag will be delivered to german shops -- and it might happen that they've already sold the e.g. pre-ordered 3 mags shortly before you came in.
emilyj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jaffolk,

I have recently discovered Donna Hay's magazine here in Australia (I have been living under a rock) and I have found it really good- lots of simple but good recipes. I have also heard good things about Olive but having never found a copy here I am in no position to recommend it
Jaffolk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for your helpful answers. I must have missed the thread you mentioned, Judy, so thanks for pointing me to it.

I just might try and check the international magazine sections more carefully. Maybe I missed something.
food_newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree! Donna Hay's magazines are top-drawer stuff! You can't go wrong there.
kitchensqueen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite magazine of all time is Saveur. It's leaps and bounds above the rest.
Saudades

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay and Delicious [preferably Oz version but the UK one is fab too] are probably the best. bar none. full stop.

i don't know which German cookery mag you are subscribed to but i like many from there [.de/Germany], save for the kuchen and baking ones as i don't have a sweet tooth and don't touch the oven.
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given a subscription the Delicious for Christmas. I think Valli Little, the food Editor of OZ Delicious, is the new Donna. I have made many recipes from Delicious recently. My favourite, the Vanilla Braised Beef where I used lamb neck chops in place of beef cheeks.
emilyj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:
I think Valli Little, the food Editor of OZ Delicious, is the new Donna.

I agree, Barbara. I borrowed her '5 of the best' book from the library and it has some great, easy ideas in it. The library aren't going to be too happy with me though- it has dollops of various ingredients all over it because I have been cooking lots of the recipes and I have never mastered the art of cooking/baking in a neat and tidy manner.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found an issue of Donna Hay at the store this evening. Its appearance here is pretty random but this issue has a parsnip and brown butter soup with fennel seed scones on the cover. Unfortunately, our climate doesn't get cold enough for decent parsnips but, still, it looks delicious and there will be other things I'll be ready to try in a month or two.

I'll be trying the fennel scones since I'm just about reorganizing and replenishing all my spices. Happy timing! ;>
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna's recipes are so easy without too many ingredients. Ideal if you don't have a lot of time. Today I made her corn fritters for lunch.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaffolk ~ I rather like Waitrose Food Illustrated ~ their website is rather fun...
http://www.waitrose.com/food/celebritiesandarticles/foodissues/2007/August/100_greatest_moments_in_food.aspx

1608 Thomas Coryate brings the first forks to England ..

see how much fun!

Have to agree with the 'Delicious' voters...superb magazine...

Also 'Cuisine' from dear New Zealand...

so many food mags, so little time Wink
emilyj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, I made that soup- it was really good (especially the brown butter bit YUM).

I really suck at making scones but I made those ones with nigella seeds instead of fennel and they actually turned out really well. It's a great combination- I never thought of eating scones with soup before but now I'm wondering why not.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emilyj-- nigella seeds? Does she germinate? Umm, I don't think we have those here.... Can you describe the flavor?
Scones with soup yes sounds good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: