Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

favorite snack foods
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: favorite snack foods Reply with quote

In a world where most marketed "snack foods" really aren't worth snacking on, I'm looking for some inspiration for some somewhat healthful and most definately flavorful bites to nibble on. My stand-by is a good cheese (right now I've got some Idiazabal next to me) but I'd like to branch out.
Joni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuts are definitely a great snack, particularly walnuts or almonds. I will also munch on fruit that is in season as well as small piece of very dark (70% cacao) chocolate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was definately thinking of nuts -- and I'm envisioning some sort of roasting or toasting project with nuts and other ingredients. Has anyone tried any good recipes of this sort?
LibbyR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try panfrying whole almonds in just a little olive oil, some chili flakes and some good sea salt. Or you could use one of those chili or garlic infused flavoured oils.
monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any pan fried nut with a little spice is a tasty treat! be creative with your spice choice. i go both sweet and savory when it comes to flavor choices. a whisper of sugar can calm the most bothersome sweettooth. avoid type casting those glorious nuts to snack time only, their talent runs deep. make extra, keep them stored in a tight container until you are inspired to garnish a salad or soup or perk up a tuna or chicken salad sandwich with them! ... or until you find that you need to snack on another handful of those tasty little gems.

personally, i am very fond of candied ginger for a little snack or dried fruit.

still, you can't beat a nice bit of cheese can you? (my current cheese obsession: brebiou)

snackingly yours,

monkey

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the sophistication of combined salty/spicy/sweet flavors in a snack. One of my favorite combos is Curry Popcorn & Nuts from Nikki & David Goldbeck's _American Wholefoods Cuisine_, substituting sweetened for unsweetened coconut.

For a snack I don't have to make from scratch, wasabi peas or herbed goat cheese on cracked pepper crackers are satisfying and have good nutritional value.
monkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and they do have such a delightful selection of goat cheese at central market, don't they?!

brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACK! I've been outed as a Central Market junkie! Very Happy Love, love, love that store!
monkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your secret is safe with me. i have only recently come out of a rehab program for excessive use of their hatch chili pesto. i have it under control now... really i do. (don't look in my freezer!) ... and never mind that i know which central market carries my favorite items and plan my shopping trips accordingly... even when i am in houston or austin.

deliciously yours,

monkey

cookies4andi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u can't beat a nice bit of cheese can you? (my current cheese obsession: brebiou)

snackingly yours,

Hi there,
Just curious, what kind of cheese is brebiou Confused
I have never heard of that......my husband and I love cheese Very Happy ,to nibble and to cook with Smile .....tell about this one,please...
Thanks,
Andi*
monkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

breibiou is a french soft ripened sheep cheese. very tasty and smooth. there are some american sheep cheese as well, however, the ones that i have tried had a bit of a sharp unappealing after taste for my palate. i can, however say that i enjoy old chatham's ton's camembert and all it's sheepy glory. i have heard their "mutton button" (little sheep cheese button) are very tasty and is on my list of future cheese adventures.

cookies4andi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkey wrote:
breibiou is a french soft ripened sheep cheese. very tasty and smooth. there are some american sheep cheese as well, however, the ones that i have tried had a bit of a sharp unappealing after taste for my palate. i can, however say that i enjoy old chatham's ton's camembert and all it's sheepy glory. i have heard their "mutton button" (little sheep cheese button) are very tasty and is on my list of future cheese adventures.

Thanks for the fast response Very Happy Very Happy .......
We LOVE sharp cheeses.I will look for it..
There are no GREAT CHEESE stores here in Vegas,so until I go to New York,California or Miami.. Confused ...I will try Whole Food Markets, and Trader Joes here.......I love to cook with Magtag blue and Fontina,that melt over our yummy cristini sandwiches....
Thanks again Smile Andi*
monkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah! blue cheese! so tasty and so colorful. i have recently found a starter blue cheese called vernais (i think i spelled that right). it is flavorful but not overpowering. very smooth and creamy. a delight for the palate as well as the eye. it i my choice when introducing people to the glorious blue veined family or reacquainting those who may have had a bad case of the blues in the past.

so, between us, what kind of sharp cheese do you fancy for a little cheese and cracker action?

edited to say: the correct name of the yummy roqurfort that i mentioned is vernieres. a package of it followed me home from the market today to make sure that i would correct my previous error. now that it's job is done, it will be spreading out on some coins of lightly toasted baguette with some walnuts and a wedge or two of gala apple. mmmm....

Last edited by monkey on Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey said:
so, between us, what kind of sharp cheese do you fancy for a little cheese and cracker action?

Blues & cooler weather here in TX -- Cashel Blue on Carr's whole wheat crackers, with a bit of pear or apple on the side.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as flavored nuts go, walnuts or pecans toasted with honey and cayanne pepper are really good. I use them as a snack or garnish.

I usually make a bowl of hummus to nibble on with naan or lavosh during the week. It isn't always the same either, it all depends on what extras I add to the base recipe.

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: