Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Vegetarian-Friendly Restaurants in Paris?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikkir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Vegetarian-Friendly Restaurants in Paris? Reply with quote

I'm looking for restaurants that offer a good number of vegetarian options, and in particular, would like to find one or more that would be appropriate for celebrating a wedding anniversary. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Le Meg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent' actually been there myself, but have been holding onto this address for whenever the next batch of vegetarian foodies comes to visit:

Les Allobroges (Paris, 20th)
71, rue des grands champs
M° Buzenval (01.43.73.40.00)

I read about this place on Etienne Marcel's blog. Quoting her:
Quote:
Les Allobroges offers a 4-course all vegetable set menu for 28€. And if you're going with carnivores, they also offer a 4-course menu with the plate of the day (when I went it was canette - a type of duck) for only 20€, or a similar 4-course menu with more elaborate choices for 33€

The original post is here:
http://etiennemarcel.blogspot.com/2006/06/les-allobroges.html

I might try it this weekend with visitors, and will be sure to post if I do. any other recommendations for vegetarians are eagerly anticipated.
Cindy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of good directory sites are: http://nwfolk.com/vegparis.html and http://www.happycow.net/europe/france/paris/index.html, although I think both might be slightly out of date.

I was there in May this year and I'd particularly recommend:

Maoz Falafel
- Probably more for a quick lunch while you're wandering the Marais. Delicious felafel, a ridiculous range of salad and fries to die for.
Rue Xavier Rivas (at metro: Saint-Michel towards Notre Dame, 2nd St to the right)

Le Potager du Marais - Easily the best place we ate in Paris. I can't recommend this highly enough. It's probably not quite anniversary material, but you'll still need to book or arrive early in the evening to be sure of a table.
22, Rue Rambuteau (75003) (at Ile-de-France, Metro: Rambuteau, near Centre Georges Pompidou and Picasso Museum)
happenstance

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked out almost all the vegetarian places in Paris (been veg for 15 years) and like the previous poster said, Le Potager is easily the best all veg places in Paris for a wonderful, reasonably priced meal. Their soups are so good!

That said, there are two other not misses IMO.

The first is out in the 15th (I think) and is called Aquarius. I love this place. It is convivial, homey, with a varied and delicious menu.

The second is a splurge since it is a bit pricey, but was divine last winter when I was last there. Try the green menu (carte verte) from Maceo in the 1st. It is a lovely seasonal vegetarian dinner menu and the restaurant is in a beautiful 18th centurury dinigng room. Not to be missed.

Sharing her home with Rimsky the cat, Cody the partner, and 9 happy hens.

:>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rachel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also recommend Le Grenier de Notre Dame, in the 5th, which of all the (strictly) vegetarian restaurants I know in Paris would probably be best suited to an anniversary dinner (lovely candlelit atmosphere). Though I have to admit to always having cast an envious eye at Maceo! Its sister restaurant, Willi's Wine Bar (just a couple of doors up the same street - rue des Petits Champs), also has good veggie options.
Deste

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jump all over me, but most vegetarian restaurants do not aspire to the ranks of the best estabishments that cater to omnivores who either are wealthy or willing to splurge for the sake of a truly special occasion.

Usually the best dishes that suit vegetarian diets were never designed with vegetarianism in mind. They just happen to be extraordinarily good food that doesn't contain meat, poultry or seafood.

If you're looking for something memorable, why not contact some of the exceptional restaurants in Paris known for hors d'oeuvres, entrées, elegant and original treatment of vegetables, grains, eggs, excellent cheese trays and lavish desserts? See if their menus have a sufficient number of choices that a vegetarian is able to eat and if some of the brothy options are made without reductions of animal-based stocks.

Not that this meal at L'Arpege fulfills your needs, but note the diner's comments about vegetables:
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=95270&st=27

Of course, being in Paris will make the anniversary a day to recall with great pleasure and I hasten to add that I am not familiar with the recommendations. I just thought there might be options among the most highly esteemed restaurants in the city were the kind of experience they provide what the original poster had in mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: