Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Anyone got questions about Mexican food?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franca

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Anyone got questions about Mexican food? Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I'm going to be doing part 2 of an interview with a top chef of Mexican food in about a week. Does anyone have any questions about Mexican food they've always wanted answered? Let me know. Thanks!
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure!

I'd like to know what he or she thinks is the difference between authentic Mexican cuisine and what we know as "Mexican" in the US and different parts of the US. What are we missing out on that we can add to our knowledge of good authentic Mexican?

Why does he/she think there aren't French influences from the French colonial period that we can identify today? Or are they there and I simply don't recognize them? What are the important traditions and influences that define his/her concept of Mexican cooking?

Are there important regional Mexican specialties that we should know about? It's a big country and must have climatic and a topographic areas that yield very different produce to work with. What outstanding ingredients might we get to know better?

Has American cuisine added anything interesting to Mexican cooking?
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey - when you ask about outstanding ingredients, you wouldn't be referring to huitlacoche, would you? Wink Wink Wink
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny!

Actually, I was thinking of epizote because I always thought it was just to neutralize the effect of the beans until I had some fresh epizote in a caldero and discovered that it's tasty as well. I have some on the way to me from Penzey's.

And then I was thinking of the one(s) I don't know a thing about — Rummy's culinary "unknown unknowns", if you will. Wink Wink
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know where he thinks that the trends are going in this country. What we see in Chicago are restaurants like Frontera Grill/Topolobambo with Rick Bayless at the high end, adapting traditional Mexican cuisine to using more expensive ingredients, and then very traditional Mexican restaurants, making authentic recipes, but trying for high quality presentation and professional service. I'd also like to know if there are any regions that he thinks will be more popular than what we've seen.
msue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I am curious if there are any TECHNIQUES unique to the Mexican culinary tradition that might be helpful in preparing authentic foods.

2. There is a saying around here that in Mexican restaurants you can find the same 5 ingredients prepared in 100 different ways - each delicious and different than the other 99. I've always thought that sounded so limiting, especially since the culture of Mexico is quite diverse. Can your interviewee identify for the layperson exactly what Mexican food is? What defines it, or makes it different from the food of other Latin cultures.

3. I have the impression (not sure it is accurate) that there is a lot of distinction between home style Mexican cooking and higher end ('gourmet', for lack of a better word) cooking. My guess is that I'd be more likely to cook like the home chefs than a top flight chef, so I'm interested in what my Mexican chef-sister might make her family for dinner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: