Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Eating out in Adelaide, South Australia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Eating out in Adelaide, South Australia Reply with quote

G'day from Down Under, and many, many congratulations on your wonderful website and this brand new forum, Clotilde.

I'm not sure how many forum members will even know where Adelaide is, but I think that we have some of the best restaurants and wineries, at least in Oz, if not the world. We have many wine growing areas just a few hours' drive from Adelaide, all producing world-class wines.

Growers' markets are becoming more popular here too, which is fantastic.

And on a more personal note, I'm growing zucchinis in my front garden, mixed in with my herbs and flowers!

Best wishes for a popular and successful forum

Judy

Last edited by Judy on Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Judy and welcome to the boards! As it happens, I just had a great conversation yesterday with someone who went to the Tasting Australia festival last year in Adelaide, and had wonderful things to say about the food scene there. Sounds like you have a great mix of people with different cooking cultures, and wonderful Toscane-like landscapes, too!
Judy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasting Australia now has a website where people can sign up to be kept up to date with info about what will be happening - demonstrations, dinners, panel disussions and the list goes on and on.

Even if you don't plan on attending, joining the Friends of Tasting Australia is worthwhile (and free!).

http://www.tasting-australia.com.au/tasting05/index.aspx
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm Judy - I think I might time our drive from Melbourne along the Great Ocean Road to be in Adelaide for the festival in October. Sounds like fun. And then maybe follow it up with a trip over to Kangaroo Island.
Judy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be so great Barbara. And you could come and stay with us and we could visit Haigh's Chocolates and Central Market and eat out at .... so many different fantastic places we'll have to pull names out of a hat, and visit McLaren Vale wineries and Barossa Valley wineries, and cook and talk and if there's any time left, we could drop into some Tasting Australia sessions.

See you and Bryan in October!
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like great fun. I saw an ad for South Australia on TV last night and Haigh's Chocolate was in the background.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy,
Can you recommend any of these Australian wines to me? We have been partial to Penfolds and a few others that escape me now. I have a pretty good idea about the wine culture down there from reading, it's just the tasting experience that is a little lacking.

"It's hot ham water."
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, I'm sure Judy won't mind if I jump in here with my favourites from Oz:
Wirra Wirra, Howard Park (especially their Madfish label), Xanadu (because they bought our family farm near Mararet River and planted it with vines and it looks fabulous), Tower Estate, T Gallant. I'm sure Judy will have others to recommend.
Judy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara's knowledge of wine is far greater than mine - I just know what I like to drink.

My favourite Australian sparkling wine is NV Bridgewater Mill Sparkling Brut, the Jacobs Creek Reserve range is all very good and excellent value for money, but I'm not sure how easy they would be to get overseas.

Just this morning I had a conversation about Oz wines with a friend, but we were talking from a shareholder's point of view. He actually owns some Xanadu shares and has visited the vineyard which was Barbara's family's farm. We both hold shares in Cockatoo Ridge, which has its winery and cellar door in the Barossa Valley, which is just a couple of hours north of Adelaide. Their wines are inexpensive, but good drinking.

It has been interesting to watch Oz sparkling wines since they had to stop calling themselves Champagnes. It has made them market themselves more imaginatively and I think it's been a blessing in disguise. They can't hide behind the 'champagne' label any more, and in the process Australian wine drinkers have become more educated about what they're drinking, and what's actually in the sparkling wines. Do you have any thoughts on this, Barbara?

It's also interesting looking at bottle shops overseas. Australian wines take up such a tiny amount of space, competing with Chilean, Spanish, US, Italian and of course French wines.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: taste.. Reply with quote

I can remember coming across this quotation...faintable!

Come quickly! I am tasting stars!"
-- Dom Perignon (1638-1714) at his first sip of champagne

we should drink of the stars daily...
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, I really don't feel qualified to comment on how Australians feel about sparkling wine. However here in NZ everyone uses the term "Bubbles. I suspect they think it sounds a bit more posh then sparkling wine. NZ also produces some great sparkling wines. Daniel le Brun, Cloudy Bay Pelorous and Jackson Estate are the ones I drink when I can't afford the real thing. And of course Australia does great sparkling shiraz - goes well with turkey for Christmas lunch.

Madameshawshank - I would drink the stars every day if I had unlimited money. I remember my first glass of Dom Perignon like it was yesterday and yet is was long ago in 1978. It was in Double Bay at a friends house and we had bought chicken and chips wrapped in paper from a take away shop and another friend arrived with a bottle of Dom. Actually a great food/wine match!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: an idea Reply with quote

Barbara Darling...surely Mireille Guiliano, CEO of Veuve Clicquot, has simply had enough....maybe she is the one soul in the universe who is able to say "it's someone else's turn"...to experience the real meaning of 'heaven on earth'! Very Happy

go for it Barbara....CEO of Veuve....and since it's my suggestion, might I be soooooooooo bold to ask for a case of the stars every so otten!...yes Judy, I'll share....

almost time to drive to Katoomba...Siegfriend and I are seeing "Bluehouse" tonight....I just KNOW I'll be filled with the most exquisite music....energy to burn....harmonies of the angels...the loud and soft angels...my kind of celestial figures...

clinking of glasses
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veuve Clicquot- ooooh - my favourite non vintage champagne. Of course I'll share!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information all of you! I can tell my wine rack will be filling up very soon.

As far as wine from Oz taking up so little space, times are changing! When I was 21 there was a very small selection available, but just five years later I see huge sections dedicated to them. Finally Americans can find more than Alice White for their table.
I have had Jacobs Creek before, I think I enjoyed it. My journal will tell. I have heard of Xanadu, but have yet to try it out. Since there is such a connection I will try to find it this week!

"It's hot ham water."
mel p

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: the hard part Reply with quote

Erin, the hard part with recommending Australian wine is that there are a lot of "export-only" labels outside Aus. For some reason the distributors sometimes insist on packaging wines from well-known winemakers with silly names from the "shrimp on the barbie" school of labelling. i.e. rather than educating customers outside Aus about the actual label you and I who buy the export labels often get "kangaroo paddock" kind of names, which is doing everyone a disservice in my opinion.

[/rant]

I'd like to put in a plug for Lindauer sparkling from N.Z., (even though I'm an Aussie!). It's delicious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: