Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

three kings cake and where to find it in Paris.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: three kings cake and where to find it in Paris..... Reply with quote

We will be in Paris for about 9 days beginning on New Years Day. I read somewhere that there is a special cake baked for epiphany. Part of the specialness is a small figure or coin backed in the cake. From what I understand, it is consumed all over France but Paris has a special version involving marzipane.

I gather it will be readily available but I'd love to find out about some particularly good bakeries with especially tasty versions so we can track some down and do some tasting. I know something similiar is made in New Orleans for mardi gras which they call "king cake" but this sounds even better.

Over the course of our stay, we will be staying sort of near the Eiffel tower and near the Sorbonne but we are willing to travel for food!

merci!
bux

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're looking for a Galette des Rois and technically that's frangipane, not marzipan, but almond nonetheless. I don't think the the N.O. cake is similar, although the idea is in the same tradition. No point my saying more when Clotilde has already posted so well about it. You also can't go wrong with her suggestion of Pierre Hermé as your source, altough you might want to try one of the excellent traditional pastry shops. Pierre Hermé is rather creative. Pick up a salt caramel macaron as well if you go to Hermé and anything that looks outrageously avant garde will probably also be a treat. Try at least one of them. The list of patissiers that should apear on anyone's short list of musts in Paris is actually very long and when we've been in France at that time of year, it's usually been in the Bas Languedoc. Thus, I have no specific Galette des Rois recs to make for Paris. "Between the Eiffel Tower and the Sorbonne cover a bit of ground and Pierre Hermé is in the middle of it off Place St. Sulpice. In the same general area, you can't go wrong with Gérard Mulot or the Japanese Sadaharu Aoki for pastry. All are in the 6 ième arrondissement.

Gérard Mulot
76, rue de Seine
2, rue Lobineau
Tel.: 01 43 86 85 77

Pierre Hermé
72, rue Bonaparte
Tel.: 01 43 54 47 77

Aoki Sadaharu (Sada)
35, rue de Vaugirard
Tel.: 01 45 44 48 90
minty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, la galette ..... you will find many versions of it, and sometimes the best can be eaten at your local bakery... or you can try Lenôtre or Dalloyau (many different shops in Paris);
one of the big seasonal games is to see which bakery has the best "fèves" that year and try to fet the complete set. As galettes are now available before Christmas, you can eat one a day for at least a month ....
you can find galettes with chocolate, with apple purée, witrh frangipane...

the best way to test a bakery is usually to ask for a "galette sèche" which means there's no stuffing, only the pâte feuilletée....
jenn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm--yum! Thank you for the replies and the addresses. I tried looking on the blog for info but had the name of the cake wrong. Thank you for the link. I got quite excited by the recipe but alas, its just in french and mine is definitely not up to translating a recipe. Smile

I did know that the New Orleans version was different, okay, I didn't know but I hoped it was. The only time I have had that type, I found it a bit dry. In our neighborhood, the latino bakeries make a similar cake but it is more a yeasty coffee cake--very moist--with a plastic baby figure in it.

We will hit every bakery we see --- with two kids, we will need to get lots and lots of the little figures! hmmm, wonder if anyone has ever gone to Paris and eatten nothing but gallette all week??????? Wink

first time for everything, right?
bux

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Translations to and from French are not always easy or accurate. (Actually that's true between British and English, I mean American.) A galette is a flat cake more or less, but it can also be a buckwheat crepe in Brittany. Bakery also doesn't always translate into French where traditionally, there has been a distinction between a boulangerie and a patisserie. The former bakes bread and the latter makes pastries, cakes and often chocolates. The distinction is lessening and croissants and brioches are usually found at both. Hévin, there are several shops around town, is where I'd go for chocolate macarons, not to be confused with American macaroons.
minty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bux ! Well, I'm aware of those subtle differences, but I used the words "galette" and "bakery" intentionally ! I meant "boulangerie", those around the corners that sell both bread and cakes !
as for galette it was for the "french touch" , I guess I should have said "galette des rois" all the time, but it was too long to write;

as for eating nothing but galette, I don't know, but one a day for a month, I'm the living proof.... Wink
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clotilde did a blog entry on it last year. Might be worth looking for. Might have just the info and recs you're looking for.
bux

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:
Clotilde did a blog entry on it last year. Might be worth looking for. Might have just the info and recs you're looking for.

A link to that page was imbedded in my first post.

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2005/01/galette_des_rois.php
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Embarassed
bux

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:
Oops! Embarassed

Yeah, that green on green one word hyperlink is a little subtle and probably easy to miss. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: