Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

bringing liquids back from paris?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suzy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: bringing liquids back from paris? Reply with quote

As I was thinking about my upcoming trip to Paris, I started to think about the calvados, olive oils, mustards, jams, etc. that I'll want to bring home and I suddenly remembered this new *no liquids* provision at airports! Yikes. How can one get around this? Advice is welcome!
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

am pretty sure the restrictions are for CARRY ON only pack it in your checked, albiet CAREFULLY!!! and you should be ok!!
suzy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is just for carry-on, but how can I pack all my goodies in bottles and jars and entrust them to those luggage goons? Oy. what a mess travel has become. Comment dites-on "bubble wrap"?
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently brought home a bottle of wine from a trip to New Zealand. I didn't really think about packing it in any special way, and let's just say that it arrived home in more pieces than it was meant to.

I don't know that bubblewrap would really protect it (and I'm speaking as a person who has used over 300 metres of bubblewrap in the last 12 months .... for other packing purposes). How about polystyrene bottle protectors - are they available, suzy? We can buy them here at our post office to post single wine bottles.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
suzy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting idea, Judy. Thanks. I can check into this and maybe go to Paris prepared to pack stuff up. Alternatively, I could restrict my shopping to the duty free store in the airport on the way home, but that's not an appealing solution. I'm actually more concerned about jams, mustards, oils, etc. Surely someone else has dealt with this in the last six months since the new restrictions were placed on us.
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we have had to deal with this problem.

Firstly bubble wrap is essential. You can buy it at BHV near Hotel de Ville in the art and framing section on the first floor (I think... might be second floor). They also have a sort of corrugated cardboard which worked very well around wine bottles for us recently.

Small jars are wrapped in bubble wrap and then put into a sock and then into a shoe. Shoe is packed into the centre layer of suitcase. Small bottles can be done same and into boots if you are taking them.

Any bottles, jars etc that you think you don't want to pack like this can be posted home. Ask for the economy post which will take longer, but is much cheaper - especially if items are heavy. Pack them yourself and if going to the USA, remember that cognac and other spirits cannot be posted. Wine is ok though.

Another option is to buy cardboard boxes that fit into your suitcase and pack the goodies in them (using bubble wrap) and then into the centre of the suitcase. That way they will not move around in your luggage and will stay in the centre..

Good luck!
suzy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Debbie.
Our dirty clothes will come in handy, as well, when it comes to insulating precious jars of things. I appreciate the tip on where to buy bubble wrap and cardboard.

I imagine that some wine shops are also prepared to help tourists with this problem, and sell styrofoam wine packers. At least I hope they are. Mailing stuff home might be complicated for the likes of me. My French is pitiful. Perhaps my son (a budding cook) will be sufficiently motivated to help out if need be. At least he's sat through 8 semesters of college French....
minty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to paris !
well, I recently flew to Great Britain to visit friends, who are great "amateurs" of french food. Accordingly, I brought them some foie gras in tins, some marrons glacés and calissons (in cardboard boxes) and some tapenade and mustard in glass jars. I wrapped those glass containers in many layers of newspaper, and I must say evrything was intac when it arrived at Birmingham airport.
the friend I was with brought them a bottle of port similarly wrpped up, and it was in good shape too....

when are you coming to Paris ? iF you need linguistic help, you can PM me, I'll be glad to help ! Very Happy
Donna

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubblewrap is pronouced "boo-blé-rap" en Francais - with the accent on the first syllable! Laughing When we were in Quimper buying faience at the Henriot factory, they used "booblerap" to wrap our purchases. And so it shall ever be pronounced in my head!!! Laughing It is now our official family pronunciation! Cool

I agree with what everyone has said. If you pack carefully, in among your clothes, glass containers will be fine! I NEVER bring home anything but food from France - and I hate lugging 40 pounds of carry-on, so it always goes in the luggage and we've never had an incident. I did pray a lot the time we brought the salt packed anchovies back from Provence! Wink
pesql

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna wrote:
Bubblewrap is pronouced "boo-blé-rap" en Francais - with the accent on the first syllable! Laughing When we were in Quimper buying faience at the Henriot factory, they used "booblerap" to wrap our purchases. And so it shall ever be pronounced in my head!!! Laughing It is now our official family pronunciation! Cool

never ever heard this pronunciation... ask for "papier bulle".
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had never heard it either - and I'm certain it wouldn't pass muster with l'Academie Francaise, but it tickled my funny bone to hear it and we use it all the time now! I'm glad to hear there's a real French word for it! Laughing
jenn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no intention of letting these silly restrictions inhibit my ability from hauling back tons of nut oils and mustard. In fact, theres a part of me that is almost excited about NOT hauling 500 pounds of bottles around an airport. Smile

From past experience, I concurr with packing as close to the center of the suitcase as possible and putting the dirty clothes to good use. If you have fleece items---jackets and the like---those are stellar replacements for bubble wrap and you won't need the fleece on the plane anyway.

We have older heavy suitcases from Travelsmith that do very well for these purposes because they have stiff framing on the sides. We try to create a cocoon of dirty clothes and then fill the middle with nice soft fleece. I suppose tucking stuff in shoes might work but mine are never really big enough.

good Luck!
suzy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's the up side: no heavy carry one to schlepp. I'm quite sure that we'll figure out a way to bring back our goodies! I pm'd you on the other forum, Jenn. So looking forward to the trip...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: