Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Pumpkin Soup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Pumpkin Soup Reply with quote

I just ran across this interesting recipe on Epicurious. I gotta try a pumpkin soup that has banana and condensed milk in it. The comments indicate that it isn't sweet. I shall see this weekend.

Exotic spices and the unusual ingredients banana and condensed & coconut milks add complexity and rich flavor to this soup that is served at Lucca's restaurant in Chicago.

Spiced Pumpkin Soup (paraphrased to protect copyright)

1 1/2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped carrot
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped ripe banana
1/2 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 bay leaf
1 whole clove
5 cups low-salt chicken broth
2 cups canned pure pumpkin
3/4 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried sage leaves, rubbed to a powder
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon yellow curry powder
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Melt the butter and sauté the carrots, celery, onions, garlic and banana with clove and bay leaf until the veggies are soft. Remove the bay leaf and purée the other ingredients. Then return them to the pot. Add the pumpkin, liquids and spices, reserving the cilantro for garnishing the individual bowls of soup.

Boil the puréed soup over medium-high heat 15 minutes. Taste and correct seasoning. Simmer a bit more until serving time or refrigerate to serve the following day.

Divide among 8 bowls. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.

And here is the link to check details or to work from the original: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107258
poongy2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banana! That is different. Interestingly, I just came to see what was new on C&Z while my pot of pumkpin soup simmers away... so I'll have to wait until we've eaten the current pot to try this recipe, but I will be!

On a similar topic, I wondering if anyone has ever made a pumpkin pudding? My husband adores all forms of squash, and pudding is one of our recurring desserts (being without an oven).
Nicki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never ventured into pumpkin pudding - I don't usually do desserts as I don't have a sweet tooth

But I do have a great recipe for pumpkin soup...
1 pumpkin, peeled and chopped
25g butter
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
375ml milk
750ml chicken/veg stock
1 red chilli, finely chopped
chopped coriander
soured cream to serve

Roast the pumpkin with the butter, then put in a large saucepan with the other ingredients, barring the coriander and soured cream. Bring to the boil, then simmer. Cool, blend and stir through the coriander, serve with soured cream

This soup keeps well in the fridge for several days, making it ideal for a wintery snack, but if you're going to do this DON'T mix in the corander. I've also made it with butternut squash which is fantastic - I prefer it to be honest. And I often put in 2 chillis, but my family don't like this, leaving more for me!
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make a pumpkin fruit cake which is excellent.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll give this recipe a miss. I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like pumpkin soup, and I'm not real keen on 'nanas either.

Perhaps I could just eat the condensed milk straight.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Judy... just give me the sweetened condensed milk and a spoon!

My recipe for pumpkin soup is almost the same as above, except for the banana.... not real keen on them have to say.

The spices really lift the flavour of the pumpkin and coconut milk gives it a fresh creaminess.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love pumpkin and pumkin soup. I'm sipping some (a different recipe as I type and wait for the turkey to be ready).

Barbara- Is that recipe for pumpkin fruitcake one you'd share? I'm also a fruitcake fan. YES! Me. I'm the one who likes fruitcake. ...so there. :p
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: