Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Christo's Central Park "Gates"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Christo's Central Park "Gates" Reply with quote

Less than a week to the scheduled opening of Christo's "Gates" in Central Park. Anyone planning to see them? They'll only be up for 2 weeks.

We were able to see the SoCal "Umbrellas" several times. I was very moved by them and I wish I could travel to NYC to see the Gates. Hope someone here will see them and let us know what it was like.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder, I had totally forgot. If I end up going in I will tell you how it was.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is it would be well worth the trip into the city.

Are there any other NY metro area C&Zers?
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: the gates Reply with quote

I remember when Christo and pals wrapped part of the coast of New South Wales...http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/wc.html

and this in NY...how how how how and many more hows do I get there!!!!!!!!!!!! magic maybe! I didn't know of this..so with a bit of googling..http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/08/movies/08mays.html

my heart will walk through those gates..

Christo reminds me a little of Andy Goldsworthy...or maybe Andy reminds me of Christo..

that amazing talent, that ease of the quirky (to most) blending ...the hot with the cold...the smooth with the rough..the in and the out...all that stuff..

my dreams are in NYC at this very moment...Maybe if Donald Trump reads this he might 'take pity on a poor Aussie lass' and fly her to the Gates...don't laugh ~ weirder things have happened Wink
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to come too ..... please??

Erin, please visit them and tell us all about them - they look stunning!

http://christojeanneclaude.net/tg.html

A couple of the photos on Christo and Jean-Claude's website show long-distance views of how the project should look. It would be worthwhile finding a tall building somewhere near Central Park to get an aerial view as well.

Madame, please refresh my memory - is Andy Goldsworthy the sculptor who uses a lot of natural stone?
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: the stone man.. Reply with quote

yes Judy..the one and the same...his books I could sit with for years...meditation stuff.

the work he's done with ice, frost...the red leaves he's collected and placed so gently in a little pool of water...the stunning rippled ribbon of stone wall through the forest...I might ask the Mr Goldsworthy to come and decorate my heart!..that would be fun..

Judy dear, as soon as I hear from the Don, I'll ring you...together we can hit the apple! CAN YOU IMAGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...hope Judy, believe in hope and we have a more than a slim chance...
shelli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Christo in Central Park Reply with quote

I'm one of the lucky folks who will have a chance to see the "Gates" installed this month in Central Park. We've planned to visit since we first heard that permission had been granted after 25 years of trying. I've always been sorry to have missed the "Wrapped Pont Neuf" in Paris, but did see the "Running Fence" in Northern California. I'm really looking forward to this installation and hoping the weather cooperates...no blizzards, please.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: the gates...and a request Reply with quote

shelli, if the Don doesn't come good with the $s for Judy and I to fly to the Gates...would you please be our eyes and ears...we will see it with our hearts..I'm sure.

I'm joyously aching!...aching that I'm so far away, yet joyous that it IS...the Gates ARE!...25 years in the planning...now there's a lesson for all the lesson learners..

shelli, would you somehow or other give one of the gates a hug from me...merci...are they just lookable...or will you be able to wander about..if so...a hug please...
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy wrote:
I want to come too ..... please??

Erin, please visit them and tell us all about them - they look stunning!

http://christojeanneclaude.net/tg.html

A couple of the photos on Christo and Jean-Claude's website show long-distance views of how the project should look. It would be worthwhile finding a tall building somewhere near Central Park to get an aerial view as well.

Madame, please refresh my memory - is Andy Goldsworthy the sculptor who uses a lot of natural stone?

Dunno about NYC's busy air space but when the Umbrellas were installed in SoCal, helicopter viewings became the local cottage industry. I never took the copters but saw them from several mountain vistas as well as tromping through the fields with 'em.

One of the happiest memories of my life.

So glad a surprising number of you have gotten to see other installations. At the time of the Umbrellas I talked to several people who had been to others and travelled to see the current one.

They are interesting people, Christo & Jeanne-Claude!
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: the gates...and a request Reply with quote

madameshawshank wrote:

shelli, would you somehow or other give one of the gates a hug from me...merci...are they just lookable...or will you be able to wander about..if so...a hug please...

Or even collect some of those fabric fragments for us? I know the work is meant to be ephemeral but, especially NOT getting to be there, a facsimile would mean a lot! Wink
Samantha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'll see the Gates. I was in Central Park this past weekend and the base sections of the Gates are already in place... very exciting. My husband, friends and I spend alot of time in Central Park year round, and we're amazed that there are going to be SO MANY Gates in our already beautiful surrogate backyard.

I'll be sure to take lots of pictures, and I'll post them on my blog.

Hope everyone is well,

Samantha
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going in on Sunday! If Mr. Trump comes through for you both ask if he will put you up in The Plaza and you could see it from the window of your suite. Or if he is not so generous you could stay with me in the Hamptons, maybe it isn't as great as The Plaza but you'd be eating well!

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: the Don and wishes Reply with quote

Erin Darlin' ~ bags are packed, I'm ready to go........maybe he's busy at the moment...no matter, 'cause my heart is quite able to fly.. Wink

Two and a bit years ago I was in New York with my daughter...heaven for me...a little hellish for her...she's not a crowd dame...Paris was her city..so at home was she...

Central Park ~ oh I how loved walking there..WHAT a backyard

and as for the Plaza...wow wow wow...that was a place and a half..nope nope nope didn't stay there ~ merely walked in to have a peek...however when the offer is made Erin, I'll have to decline and say "Donald, I'll be staying with Erin"
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samantha wrote:
I know I'll see the Gates. I was in Central Park this past weekend and the base sections of the Gates are already in place... very exciting. My husband, friends and I spend alot of time in Central Park year round, and we're amazed that there are going to be SO MANY Gates in our already beautiful surrogate backyard.

I'll be sure to take lots of pictures, and I'll post them on my blog.

Hope everyone is well,

Samantha

Samantha-

I think that will be the very best way to see them. From the habitual/absence, to the contstruction, to the actuality, to the deconstruction, to the "normal"/abscence.

I'd soooo love to hear your perspectives on it.

PS I think there are going to be 7,500-7,600 gates! A staggering concept!
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin wrote:
We are going in on Sunday! If Mr. Trump comes through for you both ask if he will put you up in The Plaza and you could see it from the window of your suite. Or if he is not so generous you could stay with me in the Hamptons, maybe it isn't as great as The Plaza but you'd be eating well!

You know, The Gates, a window at the Plaza... If you could watch Eloise running through them skimming her stick on each support as she went it would be HEAVEN! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: