Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Seattle birthday dinner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodstocker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Seattle birthday dinner Reply with quote

We're going to be making a trip out to Seattle the first week of January, and my mom suggested that my brother and I take her out to dinner for her birthday (the big 5-0). The two of us agreed, but there's one problem. We have no idea where to go. I was thinking apprx $50 or so a person, under would be nice, if anyone has any suggestions. We're staying downtown on 5th Ave. Pike Place Market is very close by if that helps with the location.
alma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

salty's on alki in west seattle is amazing, and the view is something to behold (last time my family was there we saw a whale!). getting to alki involves a few minutes of driving from downtown, but i think it is most worth it!

happy (pre) birthday to your mum!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pink Door is great if you want to go Italian. It is located in Post Alley near Kells and The Perennial Tea Room. Reservations are a must.
Sazerac is another great option, it's located downtown.
Andalucia is a really amazing place that I love!!!
The Daliah Lounge is a Tom Douglas restaurant and very popular. Anything with his name on it is going to be great you can bank on it. He also owns Etta's Seafood.
Tulio is great. It's located on 5th.
Chez Shea is another local favorite located on Pike Street.
My personal favorite downtown restaurant is Cafe Campagne. It's located on the edge of Post Alley. It is a quiet little restaurant with amazing flavors.

One I would highly discourage you from going to would be Cutters. ICK! They used to be amazing and then they were bought out and changed chefs. Now.....well, let's just say Rome has fallen.

I gave you places that are all downtown or by the Market. Let me know if you would like a wider selection.

"It's hot ham water."
woodstocker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much! We were debating whether to pick a place ahead of time and make reservations, or go with the flow and let her pick what she wanted when we're out there, so many decisions.
woodstocker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final pick was Tom Douglas' Lola, a Greek inspired place. My mom loves Greek food, so this is perfect. Cool
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot Lola! I've never been, so I want a full report when you get back. If it's a Tom Douglas restaurant it's going to be fab!

Have fun, eat lots!

"It's hot ham water."
woodstocker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try to take a couple of photos, surreptitiously, so I don't get any odd looks. Wink Do you think anyone would have a problem with that?
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodstocker,

Do you have anything exciting planned while you are in Seattle?

I am so jealous.......and homesick.

"It's hot ham water."
woodstocker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the point of the trip is to scope out the city in general, get the vibe/check out housing and employment. I graduate from Stony Brook in May, and from everything I've heard, Seattle sounds like the place I want to be. But if you have any suggestions of things to do or see, we'll be there for 5 days. Aside from Pike Place Market, which I plan to hit up everyday. Laughing
Daisy11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping in to recommend you stop by Salumi. It's a small eatery started by Armandino Batali (aka Mario Batali's father). They cure their own meats and it's open Tuesday - Friday for lunch only. Excellent meats and sandwiches!

309 Third Avenue South
206-621-8772
http://salumicuredmeats.com/
bluedog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodstocker, you will love LOLA. Is it just the 3 of you? they do sort of shared plates, like tapas style, large or small, so the more people you have the more you get to try! or just order lots and plan for doggie bags Smile

my favorite place for oysters is in the market, Emmet Watson's. it is inexpensive and genuine. Eat at Matt's in the Market for lunch one day. and salumi is a must, i agree.

if you have another upscale dinner, my two favorites are Cascadia (NW style, farmers market ingredients) and Le Pichet (french, best roasted chicken ever!).

don't miss the locks for sight seeing. it is outside of downtown and often overlooked, but very interesting and unique. you can walk the grounds and watch the boats go up and down, or take a cruise and ride through yourself.

have a great time, and i am happy to offer more info on my fair city if you have specific questions.
woodstocker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedog wrote:
Woodstocker, you will love LOLA. Is it just the 3 of you? they do sort of shared plates, like tapas style, large or small, so the more people you have the more you get to try! or just order lots and plan for doggie bags Smile

As often as possible when we go out, we all try to get something different to get the widest possible enjoyment out of a menu. That way we can all share and taste. (Unless you're my aunt, who stopped doing this because she always ended up wanting what somebody else ordered.) It is just the 3 of us, but my brother is 19, and that boy can eat like nobody else sometimes. Doggie bags are always good though!

When I told my mom that we made dinner reservations at a Greek resto, she got all excited and said "I never would have thought of that!" Razz So thanks everybody for the help.
Clearly it is not the lovelorn sufferer who seeks solace in chocolate, but rather the chocolate-deprived individual, who, desperate, seeks in mere love a pale approximation of bittersweet euphoria. Sandra Boynton.
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fremont Sunday Market is always great and it runs year round. If you go hit the Deviant Design booth for some really cute silk screened clothes, pillows and fabrics.
Uwajiamaya is always awesome and has the best Pocky selection in the country.
45th has great shopping, food and coffee shops. There is the greatest little stationary shop, I forget the name sadly.
Belltown has some great restaurants and shops. If you feel like having some great Mexican food in a totally kitchy setting try Mama's Mexican Kitchen. I strongly recommend having a Patron margarita. It is also right across the street from a cool record store and a cute little girly store.
Capitol Hill is always great for everything.

I will go on forever, so I will stop myself. Now.

"It's hot ham water."
woodstocker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, feel free to keep going, maybe not as long as the energizer bunny, but lots of ideas are good. The purpose of the trip is to experience more than just the usual touristy stuff.

Anybody know of things to do in the University area? I'm having trouble locating a good (re: thorough) list of grad schools in the greater Seattle area. Pullman has a program very similar to what I'm looking for...but that's all the way on the other side of the state Evil or Very Mad
Clearly it is not the lovelorn sufferer who seeks solace in chocolate, but rather the chocolate-deprived individual, who, desperate, seeks in mere love a pale approximation of bittersweet euphoria. Sandra Boynton.
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seattle University is where my Mother got her masters. Pacific Lutheren is supposed to be great. A close friend got her BA at the University of Puget Sound. Western Washington University is wonderful, I know a few of the prof's there.
The east side of the mountains is an entirely different world. They want to ceceede from the liberal west side and rename themselves Cascadia. Pullman is a good school, with a bad rep. A few years back I read an article on partying in US universities and they were ranked. WSU was left off the list saying that it was unfair to rate professionals alongside amatures. I think since the riots a few years back things have calmed down considerably. Of course being in grad school and most likely away from campus things wouldn't really affect you. There is also Gonzaga, Whitman and Central to consider. Again, it is a whole other world on the east side.

I am emailing you part of a list I made for a neighbor who recently moved to Seattle.

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: