Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Slow Cooking without a Slow Cooker?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franca

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Slow Cooking without a Slow Cooker? Reply with quote

Is it possible to follow slow cooker recipes without a slow cooker? If so, what kind of method do you use?

I ask this because I don't really want another kitchen appliance, but I do sometimes want that fall-off-the-bone meat tenderness and sauce.
swan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ofcourse!
just use your 'cocotte' either on the stove on a very low fire or in the oven and slowcook the most wonderful stews and so on...
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The method I use the most is the sear and braise. On Friday I made a roast version of steak au poivre using that method. It was wonderful!

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see swan and Erin have given you two methods. I started doing our Christmas roast at 200 degrees F after I read Shirley O. Corriher's recommendation and its been wonderful, moist and flavorful ever since.

I'm thinking you're not in the US, Franca, so you may not know Shirley O. Corriher but she wrote a wonderful book called Cookwise that explains much of the science of cooking. She's become better known since she started making appearances on a cooking show here in the US. But Cookwise is a fantastic book that I have found very helpful.
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made Gretchen's Pulled Pork yesterday. 8 hours at 120C. It was brilliant.
Here is the link
http://chocolateandzucchini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=14580#14580
ducksauce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: slow cooking Reply with quote

"Slow Cookers" were designed for people who do not cook much or for people who do not have the conventional equipment to cook with, if you find any recipe in escoffier that uses one please let me know, in truth all you need to do to get that fall off the bone tender deliciousness is cook at low temp for long time in liquid, also to maximize the power and result you will get with this technique pick the cheap cuts of meat that are full of conective tissue also if you want to yeild a delicuos jus or sauce from the liquid you are braising in it is best to use cuts that have bones in them such as chicken shortribs lamb shanks etc, if you are not using any bones you could add some stock to braise with or just add bones. Generally follow this Marinade meat, lighty season, heavily sear, take out meat, deglaze with mirepoix tomatoe paste and stock or wine(great place to add slab bacon) add meat back in and cover with liquid wine or stock prefered, if cooking on stove keep low and stir occasionaly to keep from burning bottom but for easy way just get a deep casarole dish or dutchoven and cook in oven around 200-400 depending on how long you can cook it.
you have any other questions about slow cooking pls let me know it is my favorite way to cook. ^-^
Samuel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a cast iron Dutch oven in the oven at low heat. I find it easier to regulate the temperature that way than on the stovetop.

Sam
sunny12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducksauce is probably right, that slow cookers were designed for people who don't know too much about cooking. I did buy one (they're not that expensive), and have used it a few times, but it is just as easy and probably better to cook on the oven or stove top at low heat. In fact, my biggest complaint about the slow cooker is that it cooks too fast! I was hoping I could put stuff in it in the morning, and come home in the evening after work (about 8-10 hours) to a lovely stew, but it is usually way over cooked by then. I was able to make a pulled pork without marinating it first within 5 hours in the slow cooker even though the recipie said I was suppose to marinate overnight and then cook for 8 hours (it was fully cooked, no food poisoning!).
It's much easier to regulate temperature on the oven or stove because there is more range of heat settings than a slow cooker, but I suppose if your oven and stove in already fully in use, the slow cooker could be useful.
________
Ferrari 166 S history
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: