Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

finding ingredients in France

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emily_vdh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: finding ingredients in France Reply with quote

Dear Clotilde,

I'm studying in Paris this year, and I seem to have hit a culinary langauge barrier. I was just wondering if you could help me find some ingredients - I was trying to make a birthday cake last week and couldn't find confectioner's sugar in my local supermarket (although it is quite small). What is the french name for it?

Could you possibly add some translations like this to your bloxicon? I realise most of the names are evident, but I had no idea what to ask for. I couldn't find any cocoa powder other than drinking chocolate either. As I said, my local supermarket is quite small, and perhaps I was looking in the wrong place, but some advice on where to find such things would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Emily
Rachel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Emily, I hope Clotilde won't mind my jumping in but I believe what you're looking for is 'sucre glace'. Good luck with the baking and have a great year in Paris!
poongy2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: finding ingredients in France Reply with quote

Emily,

I have such fond memories of my year in Paris! Many of which involved the hunt for familiar ingredients and the mastering of baking without an oven (sounds like you have one - lucky you!). I also went looking for powdered sugar and had a really hard time finding it. In fact, I don't remember if I ever did, but surely it exists somewhere in Paris!

Perhaps some of you will enjoy a laugh at my ignorance: Wanting to make an apple crisp, I went looking for oatmeal. My dictionary told me that oatmeal is "avoine" and so I confidently asked several grocers if they had "avoine." They laughed at me. Finally I asked my employer, and she informed me that only horses eat "avoine" and I needed to ask for "des flocons d'avoine."

In any case, do shop around. I found the selection to vary tremendously even in chain stores depending on the neighborhood (Monoprix in the 16th, where I worked, is very upscale and had everything I could think of; Monoprix in the 17th, where I lived, was somewhat lacking.)

I found a few things I wanted desperately - such as pecans - at the Thanksgiving store, but most of the items they carry, as I recall, are the prepackaged mixes (Betty Crocker cake, icing, etc.). I don't recall exactly where it is but I could look it up if you're interested in checking it out.

Have a wonderful time, and feel free to ask questions!

Cheers,
Susan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: