Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Turkish Orange Cake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suzy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I researched this cake when Clotilde first posted a similar recipe and made a version of it for Passover that year. It is so much better than the standard Pasover desserts and it was a big hit, with requests for recipes from guests. I had forgotten all about it! Thanks for the reminder. I'll make it again, as oranges start to show up in the market.
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am shocked, shocked I tell you!!! I not only made this cake, but... it worked!!! Shocked I am not the cake-maker in the house either, my dad does a mean fruit cake. But this was declared a winner! I took some in to the museum and my curator, my fellow volunteer, the Access Officer and a couple of museum assistants all said how good it was!

Very pleased to hear it, cos I was beginning to wonder if it was just me! I will definitely be making it again. In the UK, the shops are full of oranges now for Christmas aka Crimbo!

It may be cold out, but it's orangey and cakey indoors!
sporky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can also testify to the moist, wonderful texture and taste of this cake. i am often on the lookout for other flourless cakes (when i'm on my no-flour diet that is...) so if anyone has anything similar, please do post.
Deste

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make what may be the original recipe from Claudia Roden, but emailed from a friend. It contains flour (much less caloric and less expensive than the almond flour which also sounds wonderful as does the ginger), BLOOD ORANGES and EVOO for the fat.

The blood oranges are not boiled, just processed raw, whole. I swear the pith doesn't make it bitter. While the recipe a friend emailed to me (sorry, I need to get it from her again since it was on a now dead computer) called for a simple dusting of powdered sugar, I made a blood orange glaze and poked holes in the top of the warm cake. Reserved another orange to slice and decorate cake, too. Stunning, especially when you cut into the cake and see how GREEN the olive oil makes it. Perfect for this time of year.
swan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it would work with mandarin/clementines/tangerine?
Deste

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swan: If the peel can be candied, I would think it would work. The skins of clementines are not thick, true, but see the wording in the linked recipe which explicitly discourages use of thick-skinned navel oranges.* I just don't know how pleasant the taste of clementine or tangerine skins is.

I found the recipe that I mentioned above. It's not the same as the flourless cake, but wonderful nonetheless: Gâteau à l’Orange de Madame Mahjoub from a cookbook by Nancy Jenkins Harmon.

I don't agree with the blogger who didn't like the greenish color and therefore made some changes that resulted in what looks like an ordinary cake. As I said, when you've made a blood orange glaze and poked holes in the top of the warm cake, you'll get these lovely fuchsia streaks mixing with green tint. http://www.kitchenchick.com/2005/04/gateau_a_lorang.html

*That said, cf. an incredible recipe for muffins at Epicurious with dates and whole oranges (I hope; from Gourmet at any rate). I've used thick-skinned navel oranges with success. Not bitter at all.
suzy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigella's cake is made with clementines:

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/recipe.asp?article=175
Istanbul Girl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: The original name of the 'Turkish cake' Reply with quote

This cake is called 'Revani' in Turkish. The origin of it is unknown, just as many food in the Turkish cuisine. There are so many different ethnic and religious groups in Anatolia and beyond that it would be wrong to attribute a certain food to one particular culture anyway. The Greeks for example do wonderful Revani...
swan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigella, ofcouse!!

Mine is in the oven as we speak (made with clementines), will report back with results Smile

for starters I loved the smell of those boiling fruits!
---------------------

It worked! it's fresh out of the oven now, cooled a bit, I had to try it, it looks beautiful, and has a wonderful flavour with a hint of bitterness which makes me describe it as an adult cake - not too sweet as well. I love it ! The texture is light and moist and - well - cake-y. It'll go a long way : half of it goes with me to a newyearsparty tonight, the other half will have to proof the story that it gets better after a day or two. (go to tea with me to a friend tomorrow, and to work the day after tomorrow Smile )
suzy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it's good with clementines, since they are plentiful in markets now. I'll try Nigella's recipe. (I used an amalgam of Clotilde's and a few others I found on line when I made it for passover a few years ago.)
happy new year!
swan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple of days later...it still tastes wonderful!! This will become one of my favourites!
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made 2 versions of this cake - both to loud acclaim. So yummy! I made Gisele's flourless/almond meal version and then also went to the kitchenchick link and made the version with flour (for a friend with diverticulitis who can't eat nuts). They are both just yummy - and the perfect post holiday treat...not too sweet, not heavy. And very satisfying! Thanks to Gisele and Deste for the recipes. Next time, I plan to try Clotilde's recipe for the orange and ginger cake!

Question The kitchenchick recipe did not require pre-boiling the oranges and I wondered what the difference would be if you didn't boil them in the other recipes? FoodSciGeek - are you lurking and would you care to surmise on this matter? Or any of you other food chemistry folks? (Rainey.....)
gisele

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see everyone liked the recipe as much as I did!
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually made Clotilde's version Saturday for a birthday party and it was a big hit. I think that's our favorite of the 3 different recipes I've tried. The ginger adds a lovely pop to the slightly bitter orange flavor.

Laughing
gisele

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to try that one. I love ginger! I'm sure I'll probably enjoy that one more.

Will have to wait for the weather to cool a bit and oranges to drop in price!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: