Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Leftovers!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Leftovers!!!!!! Reply with quote

I have about 4 pounds of leftover prime rib in my freezer. (the hubs bought a 7 rib roast! 15 pounds! )

What am I to do with 4 pounds of leftover prime rib? I have had about as many roast beef sandwiches as I can stomach, at this point. The only thing I can think of is a boeuf bourgignon - but I have no idea if that would work with this cut.

Help my friends! All suggestions gratefully received!
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Magic Castle in Hollywood has legendary chili for lunch. They make it from the previous evening's leftover prime rib. Me, I guess I'd cube some of it up and make a cottage pie (shepherd's pie with beef instead of lamb) but that will only use a pound or so.

If it's still rare enough you could also put a piece that large aside in the freezer and wrap it up in pastry to serve as beef Wellington at some future occasion.

That must have been some monster roast!
sunny12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could it be sliced up and some how used in a stirfry with vegetables? I also quite like using cooked steak sliced thin in salads; works really well in Thai salads.
________
Plymouth Satellite history

Last edited by sunny12 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Deste

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the suggestion for salads, especially slathered with cilantro-lime dressing with plenty of avocado.

Great added to broth to make a warming soup--with variations so that you've got something like Pho with noodles one night and traditonal tomato & beef vegetable soup with potatoes another.

Time-consuming, but it's common to stuff pasta with leftover stew or roasts. You'd just need to include some moistening ingredients in the filling. Grind up little pieces of the meat in food processor with chopped-up Prosciutto di Parma. Add beaten egg, grated Parmesan, minced parsley, maybe some cooled, slowly caramelized onions or braised greens. Season.

I've never used wonton wrappers instead of making pasta, but I've heard plenty of people have success with the shortcut.

Frozen, they last forever. If you have pan juices or gravy left, you can use this to sauce the pasta with butter and maybe fresh sage. Dusting of cheese. Or add the juices to a tomato sauce.

P.S. Sigh. It's a hard life! Wink
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of beef strogonoff too. Partially freeze so you can slice off thin strips to quickly sauté with mushrooms. Then deglaze with sour cream, season with dill and serve over noodles.
simona

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let it be frozen in the freezer for 1-2-3 etc. weeks, then invite two-three nice couples of friends for dinner, defreeze it, give it a revival heat shock, add potatoes or whatever, add anice wine/pepper sauce, have a nice soup for first course and a good desert + a decent wine and enjoy a nice and easy dinner. It's about 2 kg, just enough for 6-8 people as main dish. Why chop , sautee or fry it ? Life is complicated enough!

No more war, leave the poor prime rib in peace!

P.S. Happy new year!
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT ideas from everyone! Thank you! Can you tell that my brain was absolutely FRIED by Dec. 26th? Laughing I just kept looking at all that meat and I could not come up with a single idea!

I love the stir fry, salad, chili and stroganoff ideas - but I certainly appreciate Simona's laid back approach! It was very rare when we first served it, so perhaps a short jolt on a hot grill will not ruin it!

Then I can add that lovely orange cake and voila! Un diner simple et merveilleux!
Madame M.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, the very best thing I've ever done with leftover beef is the French housewife's standby, "boeuf miroton." I've always called it "French Leftover Beef." Here's the recipe I use, hope it sounds good to you, too!

FRENCH LEFTOVER BEEF

2 onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 cup dry vermouth (or other dry white wine)
1/2 cup beef stock
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp sweet paprika
1-1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1-1/2 tbsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups cooked beef, in 1” chunks or thick strips

Sauté the onions in the oil until golden. Add the flour and stir until lightly browned. Add the remaining ingredients except beef and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add the beef and simmer for 15 minutes more, adding a bit more beef stock if it gets too thick. Serve on a platter surrounded with cheese toasts. Serves 4-6.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: