Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Some sort of recipe needed : Oven Roasted Peppers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mel p wrote:
since we're baking potatoes now...
my fav. thing to do (guaranteed no explosions) is to par-boil them till the outside's soft and the inside's still firm - say, 10 of your normal 20 minutes boiling time - (pre-heat your oven in the meantime to 180-200 celsius), and then get a potato masher and squash them onto a baking tray, (just one good squash, don't completely flatten the poor things) drizzle them with plenty of olive oil, sprinkle salt and some rosemary, and finish the cooking in the oven. now that's what i call a "smashed potato"! mmm.

OOPS!! should edit and say that i mean no disrespect to dairy queen, who happened to post about smashed potatoes before me! eek. it just so happens that i call my potatoes "smashed"!!! sorry!!!

No offense taken, mel p! Those nuclear potatoes of mine went so Ka-blew-y that I think you could call them anything and it would fit.

I also liked your recipe and will be sure to try it out.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the flame, if I was lucky enough to have a gas range I would totally use it for roasting. Sadly, my home is not equiped.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin wrote:
About the flame, if I was lucky enough to have a gas range I would totally use it for roasting. Sadly, my home is not equiped.

But you've got the torch AND you, apparently, know where to find yours so you're home free, babe! Wink Anything that floats a boat, no?

Before I had a torch or a gas stove I used an electric heat gun that was designed to soften glue so you could remove wallpaper. Shocked Did a very nifty job on the peppers and spruced up the "browning" on the tops of casseroles like a champ but melted the hell out of some plastic freezer parts when I tried to use if for defrosting duties....
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rainey] Did a very nifty job on the peppers and spruced up the "browning" on the tops of casseroles like a champ but melted the hell out of some plastic freezer parts when I tried to use if for defrosting duties....[/quote]

That reminds me of the TV show, Wickedly Perfect, where one of the contestants tried to use a BLOW DRIER on frozen butter....while it was in the stand-up mixer! The beaters almost took her arm off, along with the blow drier.

NOW you know where those crazy label warnings come from: WARNING: DO NOT USE BLOW DRIER TO THAW FROZEN BUTTER THAT HAS BEEN PLACED INTO AN OPERATING MIXER.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still wish I had a gas range. Right now I have this battle going on with the temp. dial on my oven it's digital and if you are not careful it will go to the wrong temp in the blink of an eye. It has really tapped into my inner Monk, trying to get it to the proper temp without having to adjust it ten times. AHHHHHHH!

"It's hot ham water."
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin wrote:
I still wish I had a gas range. Right now I have this battle going on with the temp. dial on my oven it's digital and if you are not careful it will go to the wrong temp in the blink of an eye. It has really tapped into my inner Monk, trying to get it to the proper temp without having to adjust it ten times. AHHHHHHH!

"...my inner Monk..." Too funny, Erin! And I know exactly how you feel!!

I just replaced the gas stove that came with the house and which I had been cooking/baking with for the past 7 years. It was old enough to be inefficient with temperature gauging but not old enough to be vintage or cool.

The oven temperature dial barely held onto the peg, and it was akin to micro-surgery to achieve a constant temperature. "Did you need 350 degrees??" Then set the dial at 410 degrees. "Did you need 400 degrees?" Then set the dial at 472 degrees....maybe.

I spent more time checking the internal oven thermometer than baking the stuff.

Now, I have a shiny, new wonderous gas range (sorry, Erin) that matches exactly the internal and external temperature.

Now, I just need to stop pre-baking pie shells and start baking!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: