Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

claims to fame :-)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - foodwise, I met Alice Waters at the opening of a friend's restaurant. My friend is still friends with her and his son now works at Chez Panisse.

I also met Paul Bertolli at Oliveto in Oakland. Maybe he's only famous in the SF Bay Area. He is a former Chez Panisse chef (wrote Chez Panisse Cooking with Alice) who was exec. chef at Oliveto for years and now makes his own hand made cured meats - salumi, sopressetto, delectable pork products in the pastoral Italian tradition.

www.framani.com

http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Hand-Paul-Bertolli/dp/0609608932/sr=1-1/qid=1168641973/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9016557-5267865?ie=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Chez-Panisse-Cooking-Paul-Bertolli/dp/0679755357/sr=1-3/qid=1168641973/ref=pd_bbs_3/103-9016557-5267865?ie=UTF8&s=books

We had eaten at Oliveto during their August tomato fest and when we were leaving he was sitting at the bar eating. I gushed about how wonderful the meal was - every single thing was tomato based, including dessert. We spent about 20 minutes discussing growing tomatoes! ( My tomatoes came out lousy the next year anyway. Crying or Very sad)

My son has a friend who has worked for him and he said that when Paul decided to learn how to make salumis, he went to Italy and scraped molds and fungus from the walls of the caves of the best producers - then smeared it on the walls of his basement in order to have the same conditions for curing! Hmm... I'd like to see the real estate listing on that house if he ever sells it - "Moldy basement, perfect for curing meat!" Rolling Eyes
Deni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, the 'intriguing things' are macarons. From top clockwise: lychee & mountain plum, Mango & kaffir lime, Lilikoi (passion fruit) & blue ginger, and my favorite of the bunch Papaya & chili pepper. As far as the Ford family goes it really was a hoot as the movie was filmed over a 3 week period and my storage area was transformed into 'le private dining room' sans le touristste. Harry, as he became to be known as was quite charming, just wanting space and food. Melissa his wife was the matriarch who wore the pants so to speak. With that said, I only wish to be someday so well taken care of by a complete stranger.

Judy, yes I am a partner in a patisserie in Kailua Kona, 'The French Bakery'. We cater to the hotel trade on the west side, producing vienoisserie & wedding cakes for the upscale resorts.

Lastly, on Kauai again (1994) at the old patisserie 'Dulce" Bette Midler was at a table stuffing her face with Gianduja Brioche and nearly chocked on a rather large bite. I tried to attempt the Heimlich maneuver, however she fought the attempt off. Damn, she lived to tell the tale. We shall all live in infamy...

Deni

Lost no more but still in paradise...
Deni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nearly CHOKED on that last post.....

Deni

Lost no more but still in paradise...
David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a bookstore in NYC and couldn't help but admire the legs on the shortish fellow perusing next to me---'twas Rudolph Nureyev (before he died mind you). Mayor Koch strode by us on the same visit.

Paul Martin just before he became PM of Canada, and of course living in the nation's capital I have run into any number of political types and a large cast of infamous political commentators.

And authors, mainly Canadian with mostly regional fame Timothy Findlay, Bill Richardson, Shyam Selvadurai, Tony Bidulka, Ivan E. Coyote and many more. And the wonderful Irish writer Jamie O'Neill.

Oh and I got a big hug from Olympic gold medallist Mark Tewksbury!

Griffin--Hugo played the drag queen who had been married and had a son--the impetus for Priscillas grand march through the outback!
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I just remember Hugo in the Matrix calling Keanu Reeves 'Mis-ter An-der-son.' Also as the king of the Elves in Lord of the Rings (bit of a shock after the Matrix!!) and thinking how I'd hate to come across him in an alley some night!!!

Rainey,

I do still write (can't help it, it's too much fun!) but not as a full time job... yet! But if you email me, I could send you a copy of the Silver Path of Love in which is described the love of Lord Finial Overstruck and the Weapons of Love (same goes for anyone else). Most of the characters have names from silverware terms. Working in museums is very inspirational... just not how one often expects!! Madame Shawshank can tell you if it's any good as she has a copy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: