Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Edible goodies from NYC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pucca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Edible goodies from NYC? Reply with quote

I am going to NYC in a couple of days for a quick weekend getaway. What signature NYC, edible goodies do you recommend that I bring home w/me to my friends and family back home in Chicago? The only thing I could think of that might travel well are black & white cookies. Thanks!
lattegirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest Fat Witch Brownies or Eleni's Cookies in Chelsea Market which is where the Food Network is located. You could also find the Black and White cookies there as well as many places with great food in the Market. Also, Grand Central has a great food selection to take things home and Li-Lac Chocolates are wonderful which is located there. Junior's Cheesecakes are fab but may be hard to travel with. Good Luck and enjoy NYC !! Very Happy
cybele

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a fan of smoked fish or dried fruits/nuts you might want to check out Russ & Daughters on the Lower East Side. I'm a big fan of halvah, so I picked some up there on my last visit.

I also took a little side trip to Babycakes which features gluten free, egg free, nut free, sugar free (though natural sweeteners) baked goods. They may not travel well (except maybe the cookies).

Many folks enjoy a trip to Jacques Torres for some chocolate goodies. (I really like their hot chocolate.) They're probably all decked out with specialize stuff for Valentine's Day. (I went before Easter.)

I like the plain old grocery store called Fairway on the Upper West Side - I picked up a bunch of candy including Lake Champlain Chocolates repackaged under the Fairway house label at a fraction of the price.

I haven't been there in person, but I hear Max Brenner (two locations) is an incredible chocolate experience. He also has a large line of chocolates that you can take home.

Chinatown is an amazing experience, I enjoyed just browsing the grocery stores to see what they carried in their produce departments (and of course candies).
Pucca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybele wrote:
If you're a fan of smoked fish or dried fruits/nuts you might want to check out Russ & Daughters on the Lower East Side. I'm a big fan of halvah, so I picked some up there on my last visit.

I like the plain old grocery store called Fairway on the Upper West Side - I picked up a bunch of candy including Lake Champlain Chocolates repackaged under the Fairway house label at a fraction of the price.
What's halvah? What's Lake Champlain Chocolate? I'm not familiar with it.
cybele

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halvah is a crystalized sugar and sesame paste. It's kind of hard to describe.

Here are some photos and reviews I did last year:

http://www.typetive.com/candyblog/item/halvah_and_turkish_delight/

Lake Champlain Chocolates - you can read about them on their website:

www.lakechamplainchocolates.com

Have a great time! I really enjoy NYC.
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the vote to go to Russ & Daughters. Also, check out the Union Square Greenmarket (M, W, F, Sat) and buy some maple syrup and/or maple syrup candy. Or some other goodies. Everything there is local and fabulous.

Since you mentioned Black & White cookies, another cookie I've only found done well in New York is Rainbow Cookies.

And, if you have time and don't mind waiting on-line, wander around the West Village and stop off at Magnolia Bakery. You probably can't bring any of their stuff home with you but you certainly can eat it right there! Enjoy!
srk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me crazy, but I'd say bagels. A good NY (or NJ or the general NY metro area) bagel has a thick-ish crust, chewy and slightly crunchy, that you can pretty much peel away from the softer, chewy interior. It takes effort to eat, and it's worth every chew.

They come in plain, pumpernickel (my fave, which I think is called "dark rye" outside of largely-Jewish areas), salt, egg, onion, garlic, sesame, or poppy, but NEVER tomato, strawberry, banana-nut, or any other fruity, unnatural concoction.

They're best straight out of the bag as you're leaving the shop, but they do travel well - I just brought 14 back to California with me from my favorite bagel shop near where I grew up in northern NJ.

And yes, I know I'm a bagel snob Smile Enjoy your trip!
ripley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacqes Torres Chocolates. You can take the ferry across the water from Wall Street, which is nice when the weather is good, great views of the city (and cheap! the same as the subway!) and then walk around in DUMBO (the neighborhood called "Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass)..

I find their thick hot chocolate too rich (and obviously not very portable), but their truffles and other goodies are delightful.

http://www.mrchocolate.com/default.aspx

I would say bagels too (preferably from ess-a-bagel, at 21st street and 1st ave) but they don't keep SO well. Lox, though? really good lox? that might be good if you wrap it up well.
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Les Halles - the French Bistro where Anthony Bourdain was executive chef - has opened a new market. They took over the space next door to the Park Ave South resto and discovered they were once linked together and were a large green grocer! They are selling meats, house made pates and salumis as well as various other food items. Since Les Halles is one of my favorite restos in NYC, I'd definitely make a trip there for dinner OR the market!

I second Magnolia Bakery. And if you're looking for a great coffee shop - with just the right mix of ambience and quality drinks, I recommend Joe on Waverly Place. They have a great variety or pastries to eat with their EXCELLENT coffee drinks. Every once in a while they have faux Hostess cupcakes - real chocolate cupcakes - homemade - with the little white squiggle down the middle. MUCH better than the Hostess product! And their hot chocolate is just brilliant - thick and RICH! The spoon nearly stands up in it! Laughing

Enjoy your trip!
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagels, bagels, dark chocolate peanut butter chip cookies from the Levain Bakery, perhaps some bialys from Kossar's, and bagels.

Oh, did I mention bagels?
Pucca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the tips. I ended up getting mini black & whites from Dean & DeLuca, bagels from H&H, and from Zabar's: a potato knish, coffee beans, cinnamon rugalach, and chocolate babka. The Chocolate Babkas were my favorite and a hit among my recipients.
chocolatemoose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note all the great suggestions above and have added them to my (now very long!) list. However I notice that most of the contributions are from those based in the States - I'm heading to NY in the next two weeks and I'm looking for some edible suggestions that are American but not necessarily specific to NY to try also.

(I enjoyed Pucca photo essay of her NY trip http://chocolateandzucchini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1844 but was slightly intrigued by the trip to H&H bagels for some to bring home - are these not widely available in the States? I can buy them easily in Dublin!!)
Pucca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chocolatemoose - thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed my post. NY Bagels are different than those from the rest of the States. They look the same, but the texture is different. Perhaps a native NYer can elaborate on this for me. I was pretty disappointed in the bagels after I brought them home. I want to try Ess-a-bagel next time and eat them fresh.

As for American edible suggestions - are you looking to eat them while you're here or to bring them home?
chocolatemoose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both really!

As well as places to eat while I'm there I'd be interested in ingredients that are specifically American. I also welcome suggestions of cookbooks to buy. I already have David Lebovitz's Perfect Scoop on my list. It's not available anywhere here (even in Borders it's a special order) - I know I could buy it online but I prefer to look through a book first even if I subsequently order it online.
Pucca

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you only going to be in NYC or will you be traveling through other US cities? For NYC, the places I want to hit next time: Sushi Yasuda, Essagbagel, Cafeteria, Katz Deli or Carnegie Deli, Barney Greengrass, Russ & Daughters. When I go back to NYC, I am really looking forward to returning to Zabar's, Dean & DeLuca's, Lombardi's, and Joe's Shanghai.

When I think of American food, these things come to mind: apple pie, BBQ ribs, brisket, fried chicken, mayonnaise based salads, baked beans, Buffalo chicken wings, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, corn dogs, chicken pot pie, basically - lots of artery clogging foods!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: