Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Anyone want to scavenge at my house?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a curatorial type, I am also hopeless at Letting Go! There is barely enough room in my bedroom to get from the door to the bed! What with two guitars (electric and acoustic), ironing board with stuff on it, books, CDs and videos everywhere (mostly books, I am an addict with those) I keep looking at it all and telling myself that one day I will go through the lot and TIDY UP. The trouble is that the one day is tomorrow and tomorrow never comes!!! Embarassed

Rainey,
Anything over fifteen years old might be useful to your local museum for their social history collection. If not entered into the collection, their Education department might be able to use things for kids to learn from.

Georgia,
The same applies... and no, you can't take a whole juggernaut's worth!!! Wink
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin- That's a great idea but, alas!, the stuff doesn't have that kind of character....

Sadly, no takers yet. I can always do a garage sale.
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quickie before I head to the beach for a swim...

What about donating the plastic cookie cutters to a local creche? Even the local primary school may be able to use them.

Those type of things are great for using with dough, or with plasticine. When I worked at a school we were desperate to get our hands on them for the kids to use.

The jelly molds may be useful too as I can remember making jelly with the kids.

Other option is to donate them to families with small children, along with a simple dough and/or plasticine recipe.

Griffins idea is good too. You may not think they have character, but you would be suprised at what aids in the visual reconstruction of time periods. Our local visitor centre/museum when I lived in Sydney was always after more modern stuff (ie from past 50 years) to use in displays and for education purposes.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, you may be very surprised at how popular all your 1970's retro kitchenware has become.

I sell books about antiques, collectables and vintage (post-1950's items) and it's amazing how many things I either still use or remember from my childhood are in those books. And how sought-after they are.... and how much they cost!

The 1960's and 70s are hugely popular with collectors, so don't throw out all that lime-green and burnt-orange stuff yet. Check on Ebay if you have the inclination to sell nationally or internationally - I can help you privately if you want to do this. Or at the very least have a garage sale. Your treasures will be snapped up.

I recently went to a brilliant exhibition by a local artist/craftsperson here in Adelaide. The exhibition was amazingly diverse, from photography to pottery to a collection of whimsical animals made from old white tupperware and knitted fishing line. They looked fantastic, even more so when I realised that the base shape was actually one of those round tupperware bowl jugs, or a tall salt shaker.

So there may by new life for your old kitchenware.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll cast the net of my offer in a wider circle.

You're right, Debbie, that these things are popular in schools.

Meanwhile, I have a couple Kaiser springform pans which are not that old and still highly serviceable. They're just duplicates of sizes I have that have multiple bottoms (flat & ring-type). I think one's about 7" and the other is probably an 11" one.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

denim....our daughter made our son a memory quilt...the border is made from patches from his old jeans...tags, phone pocket...the body of the quilt is a massive piece of blue denimish fabric....with a thick white machinestitched outline of the USA....the road trip stops are marked with American coins that Sigi drilled holes in.....it is simply an exquisite piece...made with love...

Georgia...she was only joshing Wink ....methinks when the clearout happens....those who find clearouts a tad difficult shouldn't be anywhere....repeat ANYWHERE near the one climbing the Everest Mt of Clearout
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any pics of the quilt, Madame?

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy...let me set the scene of the moment....a friend gave us two rather lovely photo albums....I've been joyously trawling through thousands of The Trip snaps....have a bunch named 'album'...and now realise I have to halve that bunch....from 1391 to the Sigi-suggested 640....there will be some big, some middle-sized, 'n some smaller...

Sophie's comment: "Less" Wink

it's a rather interesting process for me...given that the ones I've initially clicked are, in my opinion, album-worthy....and so it's a case of what has to be done...so am doing it rather well methinks...delete, yes, click...bingo...

so ma dear Judy...when enough have been clicked...I'll take a photo of the quilt and post it....remarkable work of art.....she's a clever chick Smile
georgia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame and Rainey...I knew she was joshing all along. Can't get to be this old without developing a sense of humor and a thickish hide. Takes a great deal to offend me these days unless it's cruelty or intolerance or George Bush (oops! didn't intend to insert politics into this generally pleasurable forum...I apologize for the lapse if not for the sentiment...)

Rainey, best wishes with the remodel. Been there, done that about 7 years ago. The interim inconvenience is tolerable as long as you keep your eye on the long goal. We managed with a refrigerator in the dining room and a long "kitchen table" with a countertop grill and an electric fry pan. You'll be surprised at how well you'll do and how well you'll eat.
And 7 years from now you'll be wondering where all this damned stuff has come from again!

Madame, have you looked at the "movie" thread recently? I think I've answered your "whacking" question.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, Steve and I have been together for close to 40 years now, so I'm not worried about the marital stresses that I've heard about. He also works long days so he'll escape most of the noise along with the homecooked meals.

I've suggested a mistress who can cook for the next 3 or 4 months. ...not that he's told me how he'll go on that score yet. ::shrug:: We also have the unusual "advantage" that we've already been without a cooktop or oven since well before Thanksgiving. So, when they get started, even if it does drag on it we can remind ourselves that we're making more progress than we have to this point.

PS to Georgia- I knew we were on the same wavelength! Wink
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh...gals...I, too, knew you were sharing a wavelength Wink
msue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, in the last couple of years, my brother and I have had the responsibility to handle the final estates of a couple of family members. The amount of kitchen/dining items alone was something to behold. Surprisingly, we managed to sell much of it at a garage sale, even though we never, repeat...never...would have bothered with a garage sale if it was only the kitchen items that needed selling. (Think Texas in July.)

You'd be surprised at what people will buy - even broken things, and even when I pointed out why the thing didn't work.

But again, if it was only a bunch of extra kitchen items I wanted to give away, the garage sale would probably not be my personal cup of tea - too many people tromping across my weeds..err...lawn, plus I wouldn't want to wake up that early.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: