Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Merry Christmas, Mr. Peter O'Leary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Merry Christmas, Mr. Peter O'Leary Reply with quote

Nice job, Royal Post! http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007000420,00.html
emilyj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That's truely amazing
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Don't you just imagine a whole office (or 2 or 3) sitting down and trying to figure it out together so Peter could get his Christmas greeting?! That's the sort of thing that warms the heart and makes you feel like a person again. Wink
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local posties here are so used to 'looser' kinds of addresses that their local knowledge does usually come in useful. But that's fab! ...Good thing he didn't move to London, there must be loads of Peter O' Learys there... and as for Liverpool!!!!!
Donna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just tickles me to death! The idea that the letter even got to a post office close enough for someone to recognize who it might be is heartwarming.

I feel lucky to actually KNOW our mail carrier, Linda. I can remember growing up that we all knew the mailman, the milkman and the paperboy. In my grandmother's town, the mail came two times a day! This story really hearkens back to "The Olden Days"! Laughing
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I used to be involved with something called "mailart" which is the concept that anyone can be an artist if the postal system is your gallery. There were some pretty interesting stories about how people used that thought and I enjoyed it.

I wonder if we could remember next Christmas to all send Mr. Peter O'Leary Christmas cards borrowing his friend's sketch. We could put our "art" on the reverse side as a greeting to all the posties who went out of their way to make sure the mail got through.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh what fun! I can remember years and years back...a girl in my class in college...Laurel Appleyard...yep...that was her name...she would decorate envelopes so beautifully....cut pictures into jigsaw puzzles...just fabulous stuff...

have a feeling you might enjoy this site...

envelopecollective.com

let's start a snailmail ball a rollin'...

this forum is such a treat
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a girl in my class in college...Laurel Appleyard...yep...that was her name

Now THAT'S a name to have! I am sure there's a novel with her in it. The Loves of Laurel Appleyard perhaps? Laurel Appleyard's Delight. Or perhaps she'd be an Aussie PI, This Laurel's no Poison?

I have got to write a story with her in it... I just gotta!
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madameshawshank wrote:
oh what fun! I can remember years and years back...a girl in my class in college...Laurel Appleyard...yep...that was her name...she would decorate envelopes so beautifully....cut pictures into jigsaw puzzles...just fabulous stuff...

It's funny you say that, Madame. My dearest friend just sent me a wonderful letter with one of the most beautifully decorated envelopes I've ever seen. It was such a treat!
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Lady,

I have an Origami 'recipe' for an envelope, which I altered slightly and got a purse. Madame has seen my old one, which was made from a one sheet leaflet for the Robin Hood Experience in Nottingham. Since then, I've made one from three sheets of paper from a magazine. I made it about three/four weeks ago and I still have it.

It's a lot easier than it looks to make, tho' describing it could be difficult. The paper 'locks' so that it is reasonably secure, but it only has the one pocket. An artist friend suggested I use fabric with bondweb to stiffen the fabric. I have yet to try that one, but once the money comes in, who knows?!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any photos, Griffin? It sounds intriguing.

I had a browse through a book in the US recently which was all about folding US money to make pretty shapes. I guess that would come in handy for sending cash as gifts, or tipping in restaurants. Didn't buy it, though.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy- I got that for one of the girls' Christmas stocking a number of years ago. We had lots of frog-shaped currency around here for a while and they could actually be made to jump.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://members.cox.net/crandall11/money/

look at the boots!!!!!! Jude, if you were in a restaurant in Lapland, methinks the staff would be tickled ......

ah, the joy of the internet...I doth love it
Griffin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jude I will try to send Madame some and then she can let you have one. I'll try and photocopy the 'recipe' too. It's not too difficult to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: