Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

portraits, self or otherwise
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy...stop stop stop this UN business! immediately ya hear!!!!!!!!

spices indeed...or kitchenware....ears of little silver spoons perhaps....

'n don't forget paper....some sheets from your favourite novel woven as a scarf....

when in France...Rouen methinks...saw a fantastic somethingth century (you watch Griffin give us details!)guy's coat design made from big sheets of music sheets....did I faint? Sigi had to pick me from the ground....will try and post it here...given that someone might like to use it in the imaginary portrait..(sorry it's a bit fuzzy...)

now, are we clear on this Ms Jude....erase the "UN"....pronto!

Rachel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Madame, I wish I could post the photo, but it is thousands of miles away at my mum's house. Sad You'll just have to imagine... I shall just add that I have long curly dark-blonde hair which also went nicely with the trunk of a gnarled old olive tree (though didn't provide quite as much camouflage as my brown top!). Have a look at Burne-Jones's Phyllis and Demophoon (or The Tree of Forgiveness) if you want an idea... except of course that I'm smiling and Burne-Jones didn't do happy very much (to say the least)!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed!...although her hair against the blossoms is rather lovely..like a river through...
Griffin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
saw a fantastic somethingth century (you watch Griffin give us details!)guy's coat design made from big sheets of music sheets

Ahem, ok.. looks 18th century style to me, tho' the music sheets are more modern. I wanna coat like that!!!

Hey Jude...

I just thunk, with chocolate, orange peel for the glasses! I don't believe for one minute that you are UN-artistic. Do you perchance have cayenne pepper hair (I love that image!)? Or are you more rose petal complexion with cloves for hair (very tight curls?!) or cinammon bangs with eyes of ground lavender?

Rachel,
I loooove Burne-Jones! You're right tho' he did wistful for very almost happy. Nottingham has an old church which is now a bar/restaurant and they have a huge stained glass window by him of the virtues with Christ at the centre. But my favourite is definitely Love leading the Pilgrim, which first got me into art history and into Burne-Jones himself.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Mr Griffin....find yourself some sheet-music fabric and off ya go......
Rachel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, I had no idea there was a Burne-Jones bar/church in Nottingham! Where exactly? (Not that I'm likely to go to Nottingham anytime soon, but it's nice to know these things...) I have to admit I've never been that keen on Love Leading the Pilgrim, the first of his paintings I really fell in love with was The Beguiling of Merlin...

I was at the Estorick Collection this afternoon and saw a self-portrait in words by an Italian Futurist poet (don't remember his name) - just a schematic drawing of a face with descriptive phrases radiating out of all the features. I thought it was an excellent idea for those of us who are better with words than images (like me!).
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Rachel....we await thy radiating! Smile phrases....key words...nicknames...tickle the funny bone words...
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel,

If you get the chance, come up and see Nottingham some time! The bar is called the Pitcher and Piano and it's in the Lace Market area. If you get the tram from the station, it takes you straight to the Lace Market (the second stop I think), get off there and cross the road, it's practically there. When you open the second, original, church doors and look inside, it's that huge stained glass window at the other end.

I like the Beguiling of Merlin too, but I always wanted to look like a Burne-Jones angel... sigh! I am also better with words than pictures. My brother, the dashed bounder, is good at both, but can't be bothered!!!!

If you like, I could send you a copy of The Silver Path of Love, which is my own pastiche of late 18th/early 19th century literature. It contains an 'educational' bit on the 'Weapons of Love'. There are no bows and arrows or winged cupids involved, I promise.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at that very bar/church/restaurant last spring.

"It's hot ham water."
Rachel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid the only self-descriptive phrase that comes to mind right now is 'overworked PhD student'... *sigh* or if you want to get more specific and describe me at this very moment, 'overworked PhD student listening to Cibo Matto and slacking off from writing her introduction'... Wink And I'm feeling far from radiant - or radiating!

Griffin, I'm intrigued by your 18th/19thc pastiche but I must warn you, I probably won't have time read it anytime soon! Thanks for the info on the Burne-Jones pub - I've been to Nottingham a couple of times, but the first just to see a Pre-Raphaelite exhibition at the castle (if only I'd known!) and the second to go to a conference at the university, so I saw very little of the city beyond those two places. Oh well, someday...!
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame,

I do have patterns for 18th century gentlemens coats... now I just need the nerve and a little knowledge to have a go. I don't quite have the nerve... or the knowledge. Google the work of Serena Partridge. She makes models of costume and shoes - the tiniest shoes, a little over an inch long.

Rachel,
Ooh! You saw the Pre-Raph exhibition!! I was doing voluntary work when that was up! My curator and I put up a small display of Artist Potters to compliment it. I used to turn up early in the morning and once the galleries had been opened up, I took my very own private view of the exhibition... for free too! There are some advantages to working in a museum!!

Next time you're coming up, let me know and I'll buy you coffee at the Castle... unless of course Plymouth museum hires me and I have moved down there! I have an interview for Assistant Curator there on the 8th. Still, there's also an Exhibitions Assistant post at the Castle I've applied for, which would be good. ...and the Curator of Paintings job at the V&A! I'm not fussy, any of those will do me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: