Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Violet Essence in the USA? (or via mailorder anywhere?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sallyann

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Violet Essence in the USA? (or via mailorder anywhere?) Reply with quote

Hello all -

I am looking for someplace where I can purchase violet essence, preferably in the USA for ease of purchase, but I would also be willing to mail order from overseas.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I am itching to make a violet buttercream to go with a chocolate cake, which sounds perfect for spring, so I need to prepare!

Thank you - Sallyann
monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cannot personally vouch for this flavoring, but, a friend says it's quite nice and has used it in shortbread. however, it is artificial.

i know that you can get rose and orange flower essence at most middle eastern markets, but, i have never seen violet essence there.

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
Deni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: violet essence... Reply with quote

You might try www.auiswiss.com better known as Albert Uster Imports. They do carry candied violets & most everything else for the professional pastry chef.

Deni

Lost no more but still in paradise...
georgia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, I "Googled" violet essence and came up with pages of hits. You might try something as simple as a web search. It did, however, seem as though there were many sources for violet essence oil, presumably for scenting oils, soaps, etc. and not for consumption, so take care.

One comment at one site did ask, "Why? It tastes like soap", which I thought was a fair observation. Aside from jasmin tea (and that's sometimes iffy), I'm not a big flowers-as-food person. Have you actually tasted violet essence? What's it like? This intrigues me, and the mental picture of your chocolate cake with a pale violet cream is lovely. I just can't imagine the taste.
sallyann

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have googled it, but while I got hits, I did not get any places from which to purchase it.

And yes, I am actually a fan of the flavor - I grew up with violet flavored candies at my grandmother's house that I am also tracking down, and can't get enough of violet pastilles when I find them in the shops.

I think that one has to have a light hand in using it - the goal is to infuse with violet flavor in the way rose water or orange blossom water does, leaving your tongue trying to figure out where that scent came from, rather than bowling over a dish with it. That's why the idea of it in a buttercream appeals to me - just the slightest hint of flowers and spring!

Thanks for the info though - Sallyann
monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was chatting with a friend who raves about the violet gelato at a shop called pacugio that started in dallas, texas. if anyone knows where to find violet essence, she would. well, she didn't, but, she wrote paciugo and asked them where they get their essence. while their supplier is in italy and only in bulk, they recommended terra spice company. the essence is under flavored oils and they will ship! their contact information is on their site along with other delights.

hope this helps and i'd love to hear a follow up on the essence and cake when it's completed. (or just tell me what time to drop by your house to sample the cake.)

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
swa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Food411 has a resource Reply with quote

Look at the spice/herb section( under Ingredients)of Food411
http://www.food411.com. They have a resource that sells all the essential oils for baking etc.

Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: