Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Christo's Central Park "Gates"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fabric geets unfurled tomorrow! I'm really excited!

Thanks so much, Judy, for the day by day from Jok's site. I am really enjoying their pix, their perspective and the joyful writing.
lemonpoppy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I've been lurking on the forum for a while, but this is my first post.

I just saw the gates today, and they were beautiful. I was expecting big gates placed randomly around the park, but it was more like pathways of smaller gates (not that small but you could reach up and touch the fabric). When the light shone the fabric looked.. illuminated. I can't describe it any other way.

The wind also blew through on occasion and the fabric ruffled up like, I don't know it's difcult to describe. It looked almost like slow motion. I'm probably not making sense anymore but that was my favorite part. The way the park seemed to interact with the gates.

So overall it was really amazing. I hope some of you get to go and see it.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, lemonpoppy. I'm so glad to hear about your experience. I'm just now watching Sunday Morning and they have a story coming up about The Gates.

I didn't realize you'd be able to touch the fabric. Well, you maybe; I'm only 5'1" and sometimes I have to stand on a ladder to touch the top of my head. Wink I read, perhaps on the Christo & Jeanne-Claude site, that one of the aspects of the design was that when the wind fluttered thru the panels, one would be able to "see" the wind. I'm also enormously impressed by a photo I saw once the unfurling had begun but wasn't completed. It was a panoramic view of the park from one of the short boundaries. You could see flashes of the saffron-colored unfurled posts from miles away thru the naked trees!

What a joyous and vibrant experience it would appear to be!
Charlotte

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best friend, the ex-Brooklynite and art maven, was so there at 8:45 yesterday (she decided to time one of her semi-regular visits back to the homeland for this) watching the gates unfurl. She says it's wonderful - spectacle, public art at its finest.

Photoessay

(I'm also waiting for a zoom photo of the redtail hawks rebuilding their nest.)

A friend who lives on the Upper West Side was also there and loved it.
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos, Charlotte. Have you seen the link that Judy supplied earlier http://jchurch.net/ ? On one of the days there is a photo of Pale Male flying within the park.

Last edited by Rainey on Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for sharing your friend's wonderful photos, Charlotte - she has really captured the light, and the uplifting mood of the park.
RWR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlotte ... Yes, thank you for your friend's wonderful photo review of the gates. I've passed it on to our group who will be gathering there in a few days. All of this anticipation building is wonderful.

Do you happen to know where the redtails are hanging out & rebuilding? Sure would like to observe them.
Saturdays @ 12:20-1:00 pm MST
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RWR wrote:

Do you happen to know where the redtails are hanging out & rebuilding? Sure would like to observe them.

Try this site. http://www.palemale.com/index.html It will give you current sightings and nesting information and, if you're willing to dig through it, you can probably come up with the address of the building where the nest is located.
Judy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you could watch Eloise running through them skimming her stick on each support as she went it would be HEAVEN!

Rainey, until you mentioned this little poppet, I had never heard of her. Your image of her running through the Gates is perfect!

http://www.eloisewebsite.com/index.html
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finally went to see the gates on Sunday and they were fabulous. Central Park is normally one of my favorite places and this addition gave it a new light. We just spent a few hours strolling around, watching the wind, drinking cocoa getting all doe eyed at each other. It was a beautiful site to take in, but more than that it made us stop doing errands and enjoy the day and each other.

Oh, and I made sure to think of my friends from Oz along the way.

"It's hot ham water."
kiki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Gates Reply with quote

We went to central park at about 10:30am on opening day.

We were very very cynical to say the least, and were wonderfully proved wrong upon walking into the park.

For all the silliness, they are just great! Everyone around us was smiling, excited and just plain exuberant. When the sun was shining on the fabic, it was great because the pleats and the shadows cast by the leafless trees made them look almost like orange camoflague (spelling?)......

Deep into the southern half of the park, once I stood up on a rock outcropping, the view was breathtaking and only made much more interesting with the gates- you were able to really see the different levels of the planned Olmstead landcape and the true depth of the winding footpaths.

Bravo to Christo and wife. Only this would have brough the throngs into the park in the dead of winter!!

-Kiki, Brooklyn, NY
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy wrote:
Quote:
If you could watch Eloise running through them skimming her stick on each support as she went it would be HEAVEN!

Rainey, until you mentioned this little poppet, I had never heard of her. Your image of her running through the Gates is perfect!

http://www.eloisewebsite.com/index.html

NEVER HEARD OF ELOISE!!! Sacriledge! Wink

My parents tended to buy us Little Golden Books (gagging with a spoon!) when I was a kid. My best friend's mother had better taste and bought her Eloise and Madeline. I hung out over there imagining what life could be like as Eloise or Madeline.

When I had a daughter, Eloise was one of the very first books I bought her and I waited impatiently for her to grow a little so I could read it to her. Somewhere around our 8th or 9th reading it occurred to me that I might possibly be encouraging an independence the ferocity of which I wasn't entirely ready to keep up with...

PS Did you notice that the entire book is written as a single sentence? One of my favorite features. ...along with the image of Skipperdee weighing nothing unless he has his bitty turtle sneakers on. Wink
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiki- I have been reminding my Brooklynite, artist b-i-l that they were coming for a couple weeks. He has yet to respond to me. It may be his polite way of letting me know that he is well acquainted with Central Park and he can define art for himself, thank you very much... Shocked

I felt the same way you did before I saw The Umbrellas out here in SoCal. He may still be feeling the same way. ...with or without having seen The Gates. Chaqu'un a son goût.

But I'm glad you enjoyed them. I am enjoying them vicariously through each of you! So thanks, everyone, for every post!!!! Very Happy
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the fun of it, here are various homages to The Gates. http://www.boingboing.net/2005/02/20/christo_gates_parodi.html
Judy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Christo, Jeanne-Claude, a gift of joy for New York

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/20050220-1126-christo.html

Quote:
"The Gates" make people happy. There had to be more smiles per square mile in Central Park during its opening last weekend than anywhere else in New York. Perhaps anywhere else, period.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: