Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Cleveland and Louisville
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Cleveland and Louisville Reply with quote

My time in NY is coming to a close and if Humboldt Bay doesn't work out it looks like I will be going to Cleveland or Louisville. Have any of you ever been to these places? Does anyone know anything about the neighborhoods?

"It's hot ham water."
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin - I've visited Cleveland when friends lived there some years ago. They were in Shaker Heights which was a lovely area. If you didn't keep your front yard tidy the authorities came around, cleaned it up and sent you a bill. I wish our local council did that.
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my research yesterday I came across a little info on Shaker Heights. It seems like it may be kind of a hip little neighborhood, with restaurants and shops within walking distance. I am going to look into it a little more, thanks Barbara.

"It's hot ham water."
bluedog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erin,

I had a friend in college that was from Bay Village on the outskirts of Cleveland. I visited once. it seemed rather idyllic, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it was nearly 20 years ago!

I have only been to Louisville for business, but found some good restaurants, and there is sort of a feeling there that it is coming into its own.

Good Luck - I am curious though, isn't Phil in the Coast Guard? Cleveland is on a rather signifcant lake, so that makes sense, but KY?
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluedog,
The answer to your question is that Louisville is on a river. I asked Phil the same thing. There are stations in the oddest places though for communication purposes. Thankfully there are no positions that would take him to those for more than a week at a time as they are generally in the middle of nowhere. I would have to be committed.
Thanks for the tip on Cleveland, I will research that area as well.

One year and four months until I can blow this pop stand.

"It's hot ham water."
Freya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lived in Cleveland for five years now, and I grew up outside of Louisville.

I haven't experienced much of Louisville as an adult, but I know it's a friendly smaller city. The downtown and riverfront areas have undergone a lot of revitalization lately, greatly improving the appearance of the city. A lot of the desirable housing is on the east side in the Cherokee Triangle and Bardstown Rd areas. I won't be moving back any time soon (it's not a great area for scientific research), but not because it's not a pleasant place to live.

Cleveland has really surprised me as a great food city! The West Side Market in Ohio City offers a wide variety of fresh produce, meats, cheeses, etc. several days a week. The city has a wide variety of immigrant groups that still cling to traditions, so it's easy to explore food from various cultures. Cleveland is also a very easy place to live. After living in Chicago for several years it's a great relief that I rarely encounter severe traffic in Cleveland (except for east side suburbia). Rent is very affordable and there are many options. I recommend Tremont and Ohio City: two areas of town that were economically depressed but now have vibrant art, performance, and restaurant scenes.
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freya,

Thank you for the inside information! I am very excited to hear that Cleveland is a place for food. Can you tell me about the summertime humidity? After three summers in NY I have had it up to my eyeballs with it.

"It's hot ham water."
JLovesVeggies

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Cleveland and Chicago Places to Eat Reply with quote

Just returned from a trip and ate at Socca and Green Zebra in Chicago, both great restaurants. In Cleveland we ate at 3 Birds and Fat Cats - also both I would highly recommend!
________
ecigarettes

Last edited by JLovesVeggies on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Madame M.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Louisville is GREAT! Reply with quote

Erin, I am from Louisville and still visit frequently. It is a lovely town, with lots of green spaces, parks, etc. The arts are strong there; Actor's Theatre has premiered many plays in their annual festival that wind up on Broadway.

The cost of living will be WELL below that of Cleveland. And the climate will be IMMENSELY better.

But it is a wonderful food town. There are several nationally acclaimed chefs there. There are great markets. And the restaurant scene is the best. Wonderful locally owned places. In the annual Louisville Magazine readers poll, the only chain that shows up, as a rule, is Ruth's Chris for steaks, and then it is third.

If you wind up going, or visiting to see if you like it, let me know and I'll make some recommendations for you.
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Mme.M! I have not been able to find much real info so far on Louisville it is much appreciated. If we go I will definitely be contacting you for more insider info. Thanks!

"It's hot ham water."
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Louisville for being a great atmosphere artswise! Actor's Theatre attracts a lot of really cool, diverse people.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Louisville being discussed is the one in Kentucky, right? Near to Cincinnati and Cleveland Ohio?

(The city of Louisville, COLORADO was ranked #1 place to raise a family in 2006.) I don't know if this is a priority with Erin!
Erin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Louisville I am referring to is in Kentucky. If it was Colorado I wouldn't even need to ask because I have spent a lot of time there in my life and I love, love, love it!

I am very excited to hear about the diversity and arts of Louisville. Those things are very important to me, now more than ever after living where I do.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is happening Erin?? We miss you girl!!
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
Hmm.... where do I begin? I have been donating a bit of my time to help victims of spousal abuse, managed to make a connection in publishing, discovered the joy of Tuaca, enjoyed a number of house guests, rededicated myself to yoga and lost 10lbs, am taking care of my husband, my dog and made the best mole this side of the Rio Grande. Seriously though, things have been going pretty well lately and that mole did rock.
I saved the best for last, Phil is being promoted and we are out of here in 15 months!
Happy, happy, joy, joy! Happy, happy, joy, joy, joy!!!!!

How are you?

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: