Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Banana-stuffed French Toast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeggiesPlease

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Banana-stuffed French Toast Reply with quote

This is my first recipe posting Smile

This morning, finding myself alone in the house and with some time, for once, to make myself breakfast beyond my usual hastily-scarfed-down yogurt (I am working as an au pair for a family with two-year-old twins and a one-year-old, so my mornings are usually insane), I decided to go all out. The improvised breakfast-food inspiration I ended up with was so delicious and easy that I decided to share it here - I'm sure it would work wonderfully with thinly sliced apples or pears as well!

(A note: as an Ignorant American, I thought most people knew how to make French toast. But the Swiss French family I'm living with, at least, finds it quite strange - so I'm explaining the whole process... sorry if it seems excessive!)

For one serving:
2 slices - not too thick - of day-old bread (or, you know, two or three days old. But if you can, don't use packaged presliced American-style bread, for anything, ever)
1 egg
big splash of milk
1/2 ripe banana, thinly sliced
about 1-2 tsp. butter, plus a bit for the pan
about 1-2 tbsp. honey
about 1/2 tsp. spice of your choice (I used what amounted to pumpkin pie spice: a couple pinches of cinnamon, with a small pinch each of ground cloves, nutmeg and ginger; just cinnamon would be great, too)

Melt a little butter in a frying pan over medium heat. In a shallow cereal/soup bowl, beat the egg and milk with a fork. Dip a slice of bread in the liquid to coat both sides, and leave it for a minute to soak up the "batter"; flip it and wait a bit longer, then throw it in the pan. (Not too violently, of course.) Repeat with the second slice of bread, using up all of the liquid in the bowl. When lightly browned on one side, flip to brown on the other (you want to make sure the egg cooks through, so if it's browning very quickly, turn down the heat under your pan).

Meanwhile, in a little cup or something (I used an espresso cup, and a butter knife to stir - very professional) combine the butter, honey and spices; blend well. Slice up your half-banana, if you haven't already done so. When your French toast is cooked to your liking, turn off the heat under the pan, and remove one slice onto a plate. Spread about half of the honey-butter on this slice, and arrange (quickly) the banana slices on top. Remove the second slice of bread from the pan and place it, hottest side down, on top of the bananas to make a sort of sandwich. Spread the rest of the honey-butter on top of this, wait a few seconds and dig in - the hot French toast will have cooked your bananas a little bit, making them soft and even sweeter.

Enjoy! Experiment! (And make yourself a good breakfast whenever you possibly can!)

~ Melissa
David

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this sounds totally yummy! I like bananas but they generally do not like me however this uses only a small amount of banana set against a good portion of other goodies. I just might give it a whirl! I'll just have to steal a banana from the grandkids.
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have one and only fantastic breakfast joint here in Billings, run by the indomitable Daniel Mc Cormick. He serves up a stuffed french toast that rouses you up from a dead sleep on sunday morning and causes you to set out in robe and slippers like a B-movie zombie, arms outstretched, headed for his door.

He stuffs thick sliced bread (I'd use Brioche, but he uses the local bakery's crusty white) and fills it with sliced bananas and a sweetened mascarpone cheese and sour cream blend.

Its close to a religious experience!

Enjoy wowing your charges!
Welcome to the forum!
VeggiesPlease

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David - definitely give it a try! It's really not much banana. Or use some kind of other fruit - I have to admit, I couldn't resist making the same thing again on Saturday but with apples this time, and it was delicious. The tartness and slight crunchiness of the apples was a wonderful complement to the rest of it.

Jen - that sounds incredible! I've tasted something similar (well, in principle, anyway) before, with cream cheese, raspberries and chocolate chips; the Billings version sounds not quite so heavy and gooey, and absolutely mouth-watering. I worked for a couple of summers at a family camp and fine dining restaurant in northern Vermont, and the chef was totally nuts but very good (I get the impression that this is a not very unusual combination among professional chefs). I spent a lot of time loitering around the kitchen, pissing him off, and in return he'd often try out his more out-there new dish ideas on me. Since I have good things to say about pretty much any food at all, the arrangement worked out nicely for us both. One of these experiments was the cream-cheese-and-chocolate-and-raspberry French toast - it was a bit much, but I thought the overall idea of putting something sweet and fruity inside warm French toast was an excellent one. And of course, I ate it all.

ps. Thanks for the welcome! Very Happy
Expat Chef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Orange Brioche French Toast with Bananas Foster Reply with quote

This one is still in progress. I'll post the final recipe to my site when I have it perfected...

For the Toast
3 eggs
1/3 cup cream
1 tbs. Orange flavor (real stuff)
zest of one orange
3 tbs. juice of orange
1/2 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
1 loaf Orange Brioche, sliced
Butter
1 recipe bananas Foster (follows)
flaked coconut
powdered sugar

Heat butter in skillet. Mix the first six ingredients with a whisk. Dip both sides of the bread slices in the egg mixture. Cook the bread slices in the skillet until golden brown on both sides. Keep warm.

Prepare the bananas Foster. Heat 4 tbs. butter in skillet, add 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and 1 tbs. of dark rum. Heat until sugar dissolved. Saute 3 sliced bananas in this.

Top toast with the Bananas Foster, a sprinkle of coconut and powdered sugar. Someday I will write this out with completely tested results, but this is the working recipe. When I do that I will post it to my recipe blog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: