Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Roasted Chicken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Roasted Chicken Reply with quote

I just had the leftovers of this for lunch. God, it's good!

Save the drippings that come from roasting. Altho they'd make a fantastic sauce, the roasted potatoes already have so much flavor it would be redundant. Nevertheless, stir them over a bowl of ice until they're the consistency of mayonnaise. You can store this in your fridge and use it for a future sauce, rub potatoes with it or roast carrots in it.

Awesome Roasted Chicken
Recipe By: America's Test Kitchen

Brine:
• 1 cup kosher salt
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 quarts water

• roasting chicken, 3.5 - 4 pounds
• 2 1/2 pound roasting potatoes, such as russets or Yukon Golds
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• freshly squeezed juice of one lemon

Compound Butter:
• 2 tablespoon butter
• 1 clove garlic, sliced thin and mashed to a purée
• 1 tablespoon Dijon or coase grained mustard
• 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
• freshly ground black pepper

Place kosher salt and sugar in a 4qt or 4l storage tub with a tight fitting lid or other suitable container. Add about a cup of very hot water and agitate to dissolve. Add cold water to bring the level to 2 quarts. Add chicken and, if necessary, additional water to cover. Snap on lid and brine in fridge for 1 hour.

Meanwhile, thinly slice garlic. On the cutting board, sprinkle salt and pepper over the garlic. Using the side of the knife, rub garlic between the cutting board and blade until there's a relatively smooth purée. Slice the butter and rub with a spatula until it's soft. Top with garlic purée, mustard and thyme. Knead together with the spatula to create a compound butter. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 500?F.

Remove chicken from brine. Cut out backbone with kitchen shears. Use a sharp paring knife to free wishbone. Make a cut on either side of the cartilage at the breastbone to allow the chicken to lay flat. Cut off wing tips. Save backbone wishbone and wing tips for chicken stock.

Laying chicken flat, and working fingers under the skin at the tail and breast ends and at the base of the thighs, create pockets under the skin being careful not to tear skin. Place some of the compound butter in each of these pockets and massage to work it evenly over as much surface as possible.

Slice potatoes about 1/4" thick. Toss with 3/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper. Place 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a roasting dish. Add potatoes and toss again to coat with oil.

Place a rack over potatoes. Lay chicken flat on the rack; the drumsticks will fold inward to just about meet at the breastbone. Place in the hot oven for 20 minutes. Turn the pan around. Pour over the lemon juice and roast another 20 minutes or until the internal temperature in the breast is 160?F.

Remove from oven. Place chicken to rest on a hot serving platter. Cover loosely and set aside.

Pour drippings off of potatoes and set aside. Toss once more to evenly coat with the drippings that remain. Return them to the oven for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Add to serving platter and serve.
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! My mouth is watering!!!

This sounds delicious. I can see why the leftovers would be so tempting.

Thank you for another great recipe Rainey Very Happy
bellebouche

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Roasted Chicken Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:
I just had the leftovers of this for lunch. God, it's good!

Sunday afternoon, 15:45.

Just finished dishing this up as the centre piece for a traditional Sunday Roast... and it was excellent.

The Brining elevates the ordinary into the excellent and the depth of flavour from the garlic/thyme combo does wonders for the roast spuds/gravy.

I dished it up with a lemony/biscuity Muscadet Sur Lie, plenty of acid tang to cut through the richness of the chicken.

Highly Recommended
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad you enjoyed it and so glad I could pass along some of the excellent work that America's Test Kitchen does.

Did you save the drippings? I have most recently used some of mine as the oil to start the sauté for risotto. It added so much more flavor than mere olive oil would have.

And, I have to add, that that simple 1 hour brining does do so much. I'm adding chicken (pieces as well) to the list of other things I now routinely brine like pork and turkey.
eatingbritain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a huge chicken lover this one has gone in the "to cook" bookmarks folder Wink
Expat Chef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Sounds amazing! Reply with quote

I'll put it in the file of things to try when my kiddo is old enough to be more help than hindrance in the kitchen. I just posted a basic Lemon-Herb chicken recipe on my site, it pales compared to the brining and effort here with compound butter, but it's not too shabby for a working mom with a little one:
http://expatriateskitchen.blogspot.com/2007/02/myth-of-super-kitchen-goddess.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: