Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Home Made Backyard Fireplace Cum Grill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Home Made Backyard Fireplace Cum Grill Reply with quote

On Saturday as I was walking home from the library, I found a big, heavy, old, charred-black, steel fireplace grill. So, I grabbed it and carried it home. (I've got the sore arm now.) This thing will make a nice grill for an outdoor barbeque or fireplace. It's about 0.67m x 1m -- it's big.

I'm thinking of getting some 8" cement blocks and maybe some bricks and making a semi-permanent fireplace for my backyard. Maybe make 2 courses of block, then the grill, and then a 3rd course of block for above the grill. Probably do three sides and leave the 4th side open for adding wood below the grill. I'll likely use no morter, so that this will be just a stack of blocks and bricks.

One question is the top. Haven't figure out a good way to cover the fireplace during cooking. I could find something like a steel dome with a handle which could be placed over the middle of the grill. Or, I could try and create something which matches the shape and dimensions of the grill -- rectangular -- and rests either on the block sides or on the grill itself.

Also, I may want to add a "tray" below the cooking grill which would be use to support the wood logs used for cooking. That may be better than just laying the logs on the ground -- sort of like an indoor, fireplace log grate.

I'd appreciate any ideas.
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy! I wish I could offer something helpful but I'm out of my element and having a very hard time imagining/picturing what you're describing.

I certainly wish you luck with it, tho! Wink
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up camping in primitive style and love cooking outdoors over an open wood fire.

My homemade brick grill from years ago:
You need:
firebrick, 2 metal grids/grills, a piece of heavy sheet steel with a handle welded on for the top
How to:
Scrape and level the area, bigger than your grill will be
Put down a layer of firebrick, bigger all around than the grill
Lay a course of brick to fit your grills
Lay a 2nd course, including "draft" holes that can be plugged to control heat
Lay further courses, then add the metal grid that will support your fuel
Lay a couple or 3 more courses, then add the food-holding grill
Top with a course or 2 more brick, then add the metal lid
Adjust to suit your height & materials available

Drawback to this one is that it's hard to add fuel once you start the cooking process.

I examined the homemade grill of a primitive-living friend & it's much better designed. His firebox opens at the side so he doesn't scorch his legs while cooking, and that opening is covered with another piece of sheet metal with a handle so fuel can be added easily. He also has a cooking area that is offset from the heat source -- good for low-temp cooking, smoking, and keeping food warm. He laid a few courses of solid firebrick as a foundation for the offset area, and has insulated the whole thing with an outer layer of cement block.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Home Made Backyard Fireplace Cum Grill Reply with quote

Hey Sarape,

Any chance of getting a few descriptive images? My meat riddled mind isn't that great at thinkin'.

Senior Biggles
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Made Backyard Fireplace Cum Grill Reply with quote

This is the web page:

http://royrobinson.homestead.com/Cat_Stove.html

It is really more a curiosity item or a camper's tool.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Made Backyard Fireplace Cum Grill Reply with quote

You're going to build a brick stand for a cat food can stove?
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Made Backyard Fireplace Cum Grill Reply with quote

Ooops! Guess I better read more carefully. I don't have a sketch of my fireplace idea. It is a simple design of a few courses of 16x8" cement blocks with 3 sides shapped like a "C" from the top view. The grille will be placed between the 2nd and 3rd courses, for example.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Made Backyard Fireplace Cum Grill Reply with quote

Ah, okay. I feel better now.

Well, there are several ways of skinning this one. You don't necessarily NEED a lid for grilling. Just as long as you build a fire with a cool area so you have a place to move your food to if it gets too hot. In fact, when grilling I rarely use my lid. It makes it nice to shut down the fire to save fuel though. If you do have a lid, you gotta make darned sure you have vents to allow the smoke to exhaust, otherwise it'll condense on to your food (creosote) and it'll make stuff bitter.
If you do want a lid, check around your city and find a scrap yard or recycled building materials yard. Take a walk around and see if there's something there you could use. Make sure it isn't galvanized, Zinc oxide smoke ain't great fer yer food, hey.
What I would recommed is trolling the local fleemarket paper or online equivalent and look for old bbq grills that people are giving away or nearly giving away. Use them for parts that you need.
A suggestion might be to split your grill down the center by using a wall of fire bricks, or whatever bricks you're planning on using. This would give you two grills and allow you to use two smaller lids. Maybe even two round Weber grill lids and make your bricks into semi-circles to accomodate the round lids. That would look COOL.

Biggles
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DrBiggles for the great suggestions. The grate is rectangular and probably not big enough to fit two Weber round covers. But, one would fit. I'll have to think about the partitioning ideas.

Again, since this is going to be built without morter, I can try a variety of designs.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an excellent way to start. See what works. It might be nice to try mortar at some point, you could make a really nice chimney. You could also consider making a baking or warming oven as well. How good would corn bread made in a wood fired oven be? Bread? YEAH !!!

Try looking in to fireplace supply houses for metal swingaway doors and fittings.

Here's what you're describing:

http://doityourself.com/brick/buildbrickbarbecue.htm

Biggles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: