Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

New York Times: Mireille Guiliano -- Why French women...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: New York Times: Mireille Guiliano -- Why French women... Reply with quote

There's a cute interview in today's on-line version of the New York Times (www.nytimes.com) with Mireille Guiliano, the author of the recent book, Why French Women don't get Fat. You need to register with the NYT to read the article -- it takes a minute or so. But, I'll clip an interesting question and her answer to give you a taste. It's is a question about bread on the plate. Notice the seriousness with which she treats the question and the thorough answer.

You have to love the French style and their serious relation to the enjoyment of cooking and eating.

Sarape (Russell)

Q. 9. An etiquette question: why do the French never place their bread directly on the dinner plate? Is there some historical reason for this?- Brooks Doherty, Minneapolis, Minn.

A. It seems to me more gastronomic aesthetics than etiquette. As a rule, the plate is the frame, so to speak, for the course one is eating - a space surrounding a moderate portion arranged as attractively as possible in the center. A French plate is never laden with food on the edge, which is where some non-Frenchwoman would likely place bread. We don't find anything gauche about laying one's bread on the tablecloth. Indeed, bread is such a tactile part of French lives that people are always carrying baguettes and breaking off pieces by hand. It's French finger food. Only in the most formal settings would a bread plate be de rigueur. So, at a bistro you'd get a bread basket and no bread plate and at a fancy haute-cuisine restaurant, you'd get a plate that a waiter comes around and places bread on during the meal, often different breads with different courses.

Q. 10. How to win a French woman's heart?
- Wil, New York

Speaking now as a French woman, let me say that since we cultivate joie de vivre showing an appreciation for that is the key. Respect and enhance the enjoyment she derives using her senses in tiny thoughtful ways - some flowers for no reason, a divine piece of chocolate left for her to find with a sweet note. Champagne is great. All the old clichés…they became clichés because they work and are used again and again. And be sure to be open to the pleasure of the senses yourself. American men can be so joylessly pragmatic sometimes and short of spontaneity, delight in the moment. Above all make her laugh, and that applies to all women the world over.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Speaking now as a French woman, let me say that since we cultivate joie de vivre showing an appreciation for that is the key. Respect and enhance the enjoyment she derives using her senses in tiny thoughtful ways - some flowers for no reason, a divine piece of chocolate left for her to find with a sweet note. Champagne is great. All the old clichés…they became clichés because they work and are used again and again. And be sure to be open to the pleasure of the senses yourself. American men can be so joylessly pragmatic sometimes and short of spontaneity, delight in the moment. Above all make her laugh, and that applies to all women the world over."

A very nice article, Mr. Sarape. Wink

I know for a fact that these work, as I practice them all the time on my beloved Sally. I couldn't stand to be with a woman who didn't like to be pampered and treated like a Princess; it's great that you want to run a boardroom, but damn it....tap into your sensual side and luxuriate in being Female!!!

I make my Love's tea every morning and bring it to her in bed. When I leave for out of town, I'll tuck a note into her sheets, for her to find when she retires for the night. Or, I'll leave a chocolate in the medicine cabinet for her to find when she's putting on her morning make-up.

Years ago, I wrote this homily for a friend who was complaining about her husband. She babied her dogs, but treated her husband like one...and NOT in a good way.

You have my complete permission to use it. I hope it helps anyone it touches.

Thanks for finding and posting this article, Sarape. I registerd and found the entire thing very interesting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to Love Your Pet

1)When you wake up each morning, pat them on the head, offer them something fresh to drink and some of their favorite food.

2)When you go out for lunch, occasionally bring home something special for them, like a small treat that they delight in or a new toy to play with.

3)When you come home at night, be sure to spend quality time with them. Go for a walk or have a small play session where the two of you enjoy laughing and having silly fun together. If you’re still too tired, take them in your arms when you lie down on the sofa and give them a good snuggle along with soothing pats.

4)If they do something bad, like spill their food or make a small mess, wipe it up, and move on. They won’t understand your anger, anyway. Live in the moment.

5)Remember why you got your pet in the first place: companionship, love, being able to do things, outside, and in the home together.

6)Now…substitute your Loved Ones name instead of your pet’s and you have the steps for a happy relationship!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: ...the French... Reply with quote

not to mention the beautiful jacket she's wearing in the accompanying photo...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: