Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What are you currently reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin Darlin'..all ya gotta do is ask...

http://www.randomhouse.com.au/authors/Default.aspx?Page=Author&ID=Magenta,%20Emma

someone's take on Emma:
Emma Magenta : Issue Eight : Introduction
Emma Magenta is many, many things - many, many unexpected things… Artist, Bjork-impressionist, author, fortune-teller, Capoierista, mother of pet rabbit and that rare, rare thing, a true individual. She also works part time in a bookstore in Paddington, Sydney (Berkelouw Books on Oxford St, Paddingtonand Smile how can I tell you how much I (Mme) love this bookshop) for years her drawings on butcher’s paper have adorned its walls and windows. Many a time walking past the store they have provided us with a little slice of sanity and a chuckle - always seeming to express ever-so-succinctly that thought, that experience, that oh-my-god moment with perception and humour. Then one day we found out that after being ‘discovered’ Emma had published a book of her drawings - ‘The Peril of Magnificent Love’ - which has now been reprinted multiple times in America and Australia and is treasured by many. She has also just completed a second book. When a mutual friend brought Emma along to Dumbo feather’s first birthday party she gave us a paper bag, an ‘anxiety bag’ in case we felt a little overwhelmed on the night. We felt like we’d known her for yonks… Df
Deste

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bye-bye, Henry James. I gave up.

Back to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and really liking it this time around. Fickle reader!

This is your kind of book, is it not, Mr. Griffin?
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deste,

I loved Jonathan Strange and Mr, Norrell! She wrote a recent book too called, 'The Ladies of Grace Adieu', which is good too. Short stories instead of a novel, but with the same flavour.

Madame,

I'm just going to have to look up Emma Magenta now... sigh, yet another book to buy!
David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no one can say you didn't give it a good ol' college try Deste!

I'm about to start Don't Do This At Home, a collection of chefs' memories of kitchen disasters which showed up along with some very interesting salt in a surprise parcel from Donna! Very Happy Very Happy
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah for Donna... and is there a sequel titled 'What do you mean you tried it at home?!!'

I intend to have another go at Toibin when I am more relaxed and have more time to give it my full attention. It was interesting, but I was too distracted... but I ain't done with him yet, dahgunnit!
David

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there boy-o!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betrayal by Karin Alvtegen

It finished oh too soon. A book I couldn't put down...you know the kind you continue to read even though your tired eyes are thus: Shocked

Writing like a river ...I felt as though I was on some kind of literary raft...unforgettable. There are sentences I can recall, wordperfect.

Will now find Missing
Griffin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished the Complete Don Camillo stories, which were lots of fun. They are set in the late forties, early fifties and have dated in some ways, but lots of the time they are quite fun to read.

I have, waiting for me, the most recent Boris Akunin novel, 'Special Assignments'. I love these novels, 19th century Russian thrillers with a good strong sense of the period. I'm hoping to get the lot of them. Tracey Chevalier has a new novel coming out too 'Burning Bright' around William Blake, so I shall have a go at that too when I can.
tea leaves

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: "reading in 3 mediums" Reply with quote

Well, I must look up Emma Magenta now...
I have the luxury or addiction of reading in 3 mediums due to a 150+mile round trip commute each day, so much of my "reading" is done via audio...hence

on the bedstand: The TeaHouse Fire by Ellis Avery, only 3 chapters in but very good to be followed by a book on my beloved Boston Red Sox and Maeve Binchy's new book

on the laptop: Northanger Abbey ( for the 3rd time) courtesy of dailylit.com ( you can ask for books to be sent in installmentst to your pc or laptop via email. Small manageable doses and who doesn't love a dose of Austen on a daily basis

on the car audio:
podcasts: KCRW Good Food, The Restaraunt Guys, Travelling to Italy (even though I'm not currently) and the Satellite Sisters and Women and Wine Radio
books on cd: just finished the Nanny Diaries ( cute and fast) and am working on "Deception of the Emerald Ring" by Lauren Willig

Such a fun thread!
David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acclaimed American modern poet Mark Doty occasionally publishes a prose work........and he should equally be lauded for his prose! I am currently reading his recently published memoir "Dog Years" and am, as with his former memoir "Heaven's Coast" quite overwhelmed by the shear beauty of his writing.

P.S-----spring has arrived in Eastern Ontario!! Yahoo!
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished Murder in Montmatre by Cara Black. She's a San Francisco resident who writes mysteries set in Paris. The detective is Aimée LeDuc, a French American woman who runs a computer security agency. However most of her detecting is very basic gumshoe activity - running around Paris. Great descriptions of the areas, so that you feel you are there! The next one I'm waiting for from the Library is Murder on Ile St. Louis. She had a reading at Alliance Francaise in SF last week, but I missed it. Crying or Very sad

I'm currently reading Through the Children's Gate by Adam Gopnik (who wrote From Paris to the Moon - a wonderful ex-pat's description of living in Paris). It's about New York City - essays he's written since he and his family returned to NYC from Paris 5-6 years ago. I'm only on the first essay, so I hesitate to give it a thumbs up or thumbs down. The Nation magazine broadly panned it. I believe they called it "smug". He is writing about raising kids in NYC - and he really seems to be writing about fairly elite Upper East Side families raising kids in NYC. So - I was ambivalent when I bought it, but I do enjoy his writing in the New Yorker so I just went for it! I'll let you know as I get further into it!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started reading 'Influence' by Robert Cialdini. It's about all those tactics salesmen, charity collectors and other people who want something from you use to get something from you.

Partly I'm reading it to see if I can get any tips that I can use in my online retailing, but mostly I'm reading it to try and avoid or minimise the high-pressure tactics used by the above-mentioned people.

I'm good at telling Indian Call Centre callers that I'm not interested in whatever phone plan they're trying to sell, but I'm not very good at face-to-face encounters.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the phone is much easier, for sure. It's so easy to fall victim of your own politeness in stores. Sounds like a good read.

My copy of Amy Sedaris' "I Like You" just arrived from Amazon...it's a hoot with its not-so-flattering pantyhose pics and ideas for how not to entertain. You have to love someone who laughs at herself so freely.
Rachel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working part-time since late January, which means I have to take the Tube to work three days a week, giving me three whole guilt-free hours of pleasure reading per week... doesn't sound like much but when you are nearly at the end of writing a thesis every such hour is gold! I've just finished Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky - a lost AND unfinished masterpiece that was rediscovered a few years ago. She interwove the stories of many disparate characters/families against the backdrop of World War II France, and what makes it truly amazing is that she was writing it in the very thick of things. The reason it's unfinished is that she got hauled off to Auschwitz right after she wrote the second of the planned five parts... the French edition includes all her working notes which make even more poignant reading than the book itself. Highly recommended! (I read it in French but I had a look at the English translation and it seems like a very good one.)
Carla

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello C&Z’ers. I am a bit nervous. This is my first post on any forum, although I have been lurking here for a few months. I love reading the forums and thought I would say hello since I feel like I am getting to know you all.

Books currently on my bedside table:

Hungry Planet –What the World Eats.
http://www.menzelphoto.com/hungryplanet/

Science in the Kitchen and the Art of Eating Well - Pellegrino Artusi . http://www.seetuscany.com/commercial/artusi1.htm

Garlic and Sapphires- Ruth Reichl – Recently finished this book about her time as a food critic for the NYT. I can’t wait to read her other books which I noticed were mentioned in this thread.

The Wonder Weeks – How to Turn your Baby’s Eight Fussy Periods into Magical Leaps Forward & What to Expect the First Year. I have ten month old bundle of joy who is currently napping.

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking –Malcolm
Gladwell.

Donna, I love mystery books, I will look out for the Cara Black books.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 7 of 40

Jump to: