Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

A Le Creuset Pause
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: A Le Creuset Pause Reply with quote

My best friend's wedding is next month, and I was lucky enough to be the first one to hit her Williams Sonoma registry, so I scored the best thing on it...a lovely red Le Creuset 5.5 qt dutch oven, which just arrived here today. Only...I really want to use it! It's going to be a long six weeks.

I need to think of go-withs, like utencils or ingredients...any ideas?
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go foraging for local, unique or exotic goodies, color coordinated mitts and such to fill that bright, shiny new Dutch Oven!

Here in Montana I'd toss in a pound of frozen bison burger, two bottles of Moose Drool beer, my own personal recipe for chili printed on swanky stationery with a love note for the happy couple on back, a box of Moonstruck truffles for dessert and two engraved glasses to toss in the freezer while the chili cooks.

If I were back home in Portland, I'd collect a nice bottle of Pinot Blanc, some artisan chevre logs, a bag of hazelnuts, a bit of salmon from the local smokehouse, fresh pasta from the farmer's market and a recipe for (you guessed it) pasta with salmon and hazlenut cream sauce, and of course, Moonstruck.

Go with your guts, and if you have to give in to temptation, tell your best friends that you lovingly broke in their dutch oven, and that it will bring good fortune, hearty meals and lots of good karma to their marriage!

Then go treat yourself to a new pot!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 weeks with a Le Creuset pot in the house that you can't use? Impossible!!

I saw the most stunning Christmas display of Le Creuset in a kitchenware shop in Mt Vernon, WA. It was a graduated set of red and green dutch ovens, ranging from the largest size, then smaller alternating red and green pots up to a little red tomato-shaped one. I don't think there would be that many red and green Le Creuset pots in all the kitchenware shops in Adelaide. I wish I had taken a photo of it.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
woodstocker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you need to find the same amazing bargain my mom did, a bright orange le creuset dutchoven for US $5 at a yardsale! such a find will never be repeated. Somehow I never felt bad for the people selling it, obviously, they had no idea of its true value. Shocked
Clearly it is not the lovelorn sufferer who seeks solace in chocolate, but rather the chocolate-deprived individual, who, desperate, seeks in mere love a pale approximation of bittersweet euphoria. Sandra Boynton.
Judy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could anyone actually sell a Le Creuset anything? Mine are my most treasured possessions. I don't even lend them to anyone except my mother.

I hope you have your name written on the bottom of your Mum's Le Creuset, so she passes it on to you, woodstocker.

woodstocker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most probably idea for how my mom landed such a great bargain is that whoever was selling it didn't buy it brand new (its that '70s shade of orange) and therefore, thought that it was just another cast iron pot that they didn't need. The plastic handle is slightly melted on the edge, but who cares when the rest of it is in great shape? Any way it happened to leave them and reach us, I'm not complaining!
Clearly it is not the lovelorn sufferer who seeks solace in chocolate, but rather the chocolate-deprived individual, who, desperate, seeks in mere love a pale approximation of bittersweet euphoria. Sandra Boynton.
Melly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably fairly obvious, but how about some of the le creuset silicon spatulas or spoonulas. I love mine. Does le creuset publish a cookbook?

I have a new 5 qt Staub cocotte dutch oven. I'm having fun with it. I can see why it would be difficult having it in the house.
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the ideas. Knifethrower, I love the thought of including a special recipe, elegantly presented with local ingredients to go with it. It made me wonder if I'd be able to buy another copy of MacGourmet so I can give her a whole collection of tried & true recipes to start out with...

I never thought of Le Creuset utencils, I'll definitely look for some of those. A "spoonula"? Intriguing!

It's shaping up to be a right thoughtful gift.

Woodstocker, your mom did not land a $5 bright orange Le Creuset!!! Quelle chance! It's like Antiques Roadshow foodie fan's dream. Smile That melted handle just tells you it's been well loved.

Judy, the only tricky question about the red & green set would be, does it get packed away with all the rest of one's Christmas paraphenalia for the other 11 months?
gisele

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to pick up a volcanic orange Le Creuset for NZD$20 (not sure of the exchange rate, but maybe $10-15 US?), but last year from a second hand shop. I suspect they had no idea what it was either. Not a thing wrong with it, no chips, melting, nothing. Best kitchen bargain I've ever had!

But $5US, fantastic bargain!
UptownGirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: New friend? Reply with quote

Sweetbabyjames and Knifethrower,

Want to be my new friend? Seriously, you two are great gift givers...I have some weddings coming up for some really close friends and you two have given some creative ideas, thanks!

I always love throwing in a classic/general reference cookbook, like Joy of Cooking or something, but your true foodie friends probably already have the classics!

This could turn into one of those times where I pick gifts for others that are more my style than theirs...uh oh!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow $5 USD for a Le Creuset Dutch oven! I thought the sale price I got my giant could sear an entire giant fish on it skillet was good. Lousy $100.

Oh and I also agree that you are a great gift giver. In fact, I have an un-birthday coming up.....hint.

"It's hot ham water."
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBJ,

You are a great friend, and the happy couple is sure to cherish everything you bestow upon them!
Do let us all know how it all goes- what you decided to throw into the pot!

Uptown Girl- ANYTIME!

Very Happy
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all your input. The recipe + ingredients + utensil ideas were perfect.

After much deliberation, I've settled on three stew-y, dumpling-y recipes I know my friend will love. I'm putting them on recipe cards for that handmade-with-love look and also in a custom copy of MacGourmet. She's not a totally committed foodie yet but it's one of her ambitions, so I hope this will set her well on her way. The gift includes:

shiny red Le Creuset dutch oven
    pretty wooden spoons in a variety of shapes & sizes
    a sack of fleur de sel

recipe for hearty vegetable fricassee with puff pastry
    dried wild mushrooms

recipe for veg curry with idli
    homemade curry powder (good reason to buy the spice grinder I'd been wanting)

recipe for ratatouille with polenta gnocchi
    20 yr balsamic

This is by far the most fun I've had putting a gift together. I'm so excited for my friend (getting married...on top of getting the awesomest present in the world).

Can't wait for the big day!
tea leaves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: speaking of le creuset Reply with quote

Has anyone in the states seen the new Satin Blue color? it was advertised in the UK over 2 years ago, I became obsessed as I have that color everywhere, but cannot find in states or for that matter UK/ Ireland or France. Any thoughts? Regarding the red and green pack/use debate from the christmas display, you can use red for valentine's, 4th of july, columbus day and christmas, green for st. patrick's day, Easter and spring and summer. I say leave them out!
Judy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree totally, tea leaves. There's no way I could pack away Le Creuset and not use it. My largest LC cooking pot is red and it's in fairly constant use all year round. I love it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: