Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Créme Fraîche
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the ice cream we made the CF for. We're having it after BBQ with fresh blueberries. I added the finely grated zest of the lemons I juiced as well.

Créme Fraîche Ice Cream

• 1 pound (about 2 cups) crème fraîche*
• 2 cups buttermilk
• 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
• 1 1/4 cups sugar

*see recipe at the top of the thread

In a blender, blend together all ingredients, scraping down sides until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Chill until cold and freeze in an ice cream maker.

Makes about 1 quart, serving 12 as an accompaniment to cake.
Gourmet
September 1994

Hope everyone who's celebrating Labor Day will have a lovely weekend.

If it's in your heart, give a thought to how we take care of working people in this country and write to your Senators and Representatives and remind them that the welfare of Americans who keep this country going is the heart and soul of their jobs.
msue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone help please....

I made the classic recipe Rainey posted - 1 cup whipping cream plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk. It has been sitting on the counter for nearly 15 hours, and it is very pourable - slightly thickened but not really thick like I've had creme fraiche in the past.

Both the heavy cream and buttermilk were Organic Valley products I purchased at Whole Foods. One possible problem is that the cream was ultra-pasteurized (they said that was all they ever had??) and the buttermilk was low fat (is there such a thing as non-low fat buttermilk?).

It is slightly cool here, so I moved the container under a bright light, hoping that warmer temps would speed things up.

Question: do I need to keep waiting? Or is this already a lost cause?

I'm so sad because my tastebuds are set for a horseradish cream sauce meant to accompany some roasted beets - recipe from epipcurious.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msue, there is a warning a few posts down from Rainey's original recipe. Georgia says *don't* use ultra-pasteurized ceam, it won't thicken properly.
I don't know if the taste would change, or if there is a way to fix it--at least you know what went wrong..
Deni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Msue, it is possible for the enzymes to take up to 48 hours especially if it is cool in your kitchen area. If the latter is true & you have a gas oven with a pilot light, place the cream in the unlit oven for proper clotting... Here in the tropics that method is not necessary however at the patisserie we often hasten the process by placing it next to our deck ovens…

Deni

Lost no more but still in paradise...
msue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale, I saw that warning, but was unable to find cream that was not ultra-pasteurized. Where is it available? I live in Dallas so you think if it is generally available I should have a resource somewhere.

Deni - I'll try the pilot light/oven method if this doesn't thicken by this afternoon. I wasn't planning on using the creme fraiche for a couple of days, so maybe there is still time for it to come together.

Also Deni, I'm on my way to Kona in a few weeks - any recommendations of restaurants (or anything else) that are off the beaten path (non-touristy ideas welcome). We will have a car so almost anywhere on the Big Island is fine.

Our trip is from April 9-19th. We've been there a couple of times before so we've explored a bit, just looking to relax, eat, and listen to the ocean.

msue Smile
Celia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to finely chop capers, squeeze in some lemon juice and mix with the creme fraiche - only to dollop it onto a slab of pan fried salmon. Crunchy corners compulsory.[/quote]

Mmmm...that sounds so fabulous, scorchedpeanutbutter! I love salmon! I never knew you could make your own creme fraiche--never thought about it. I'll have to do it just to have it with my salmon. I'll have to try that ice cream recipe too!

(It's not a good idea to come to this forum with an empty stomach!)
msue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success!!

A few hours under that bright light seems to have done the trick - the heat source was the under counter light my husband installed a few months back.

The creme fraiche is now thick, almost but not quite the consistency of good Greek yogurt. I'll let it sit out a bit more then put it in the fridge.

Not sure if it was the warmer conditions or the extra few hours that did the trick, but at least it is thick now.

Now if someone will tell me how to consume it without the calories landing on my hips, it will be a perfect weekend.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try eating standing up, msue Wink

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
msue

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent plan, Judy!!

You crack me up!

Smile
Deni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Msue, here it is in a nut shell...

Ken’s Pancake House in Hilo for more than pancakes. True local 'grinds' prepared fairly well for where you are.

The Hilo farmers market, most days 10a.m. – 8 p.m.

Mauna Kea Observatory for sunrise

Merriman’s is a favorite of mine for dining out on island fish 65-1227 Opelo Road, Waimea

There is an orchid farm on route to volcano’s national park from Hilo and of course the Volcano’s National Park (drive down to the ocean and hike along the shoreline to observe live lava)

Puuhonua O` Honaunau National Historic Park, housing King Kamehameha’s temple on the northwestern coast, quite impressive I must say

Quite frankly there is so much to see and do I would need hours of conversation to get it all in.
Please be careful as the locals like to drink n` drive…

Deni

Deni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Msue, these just came to me while I was having grilled onaga for lunch.

Keei Café, Aloha Angel, Quinns almost by the Sea, Fujimama's, Kona Inn
and finally for the upper range - Hualalai Grill at the Four Season's. The Hualalai Grill @ the Four seasons is pricy but well worth the price of admission. Aloha...

Deni

msue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deni, thanks VERY much for your recommendations. My husband is a seismologist and knows some of the people at Volcano NP - we had a wonderful behind the scene visit a few years ago. And that drive down to the ocean is indeed spectacular; hopefully we can go again this trip.

I can't wait to try the restaurants you suggested. I've never heard of some of them, so it will be a real treat. I'm already dreaming of fish and all those incredible fruits.

We are looking forward to this trip, it has been far too long since we totally escaped.

Mahalo! (oh...if you spot a slightly dumpy woman wearing too-new touristy Hawaiian garb, sunburned but smiling ear to ear, it just might be me Smile )

msue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: