Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

mexican cornbread casserole
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pumpkingrl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: mexican cornbread casserole Reply with quote

this is my first post here and i'm so enjoying thiss website. anyhoo, thought i would share this cost effective, comforting recipe. gourmet, it may not be, but tast and cheap it is! enjoy!

Mexican Cornbread Casserole

1 lb. hamburger
1 onion, chopped
1 can chopped green chilies
1 package taco seasonings
1 can of cream-style corn
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 box Jiffy Cornbread mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
Jalapenos, sliced
Black olives, sliced
Sour cream/Salsa optional but highly reccommended

Brown meat with onions; drain and add chilies, taco seasoning, and water....per package instructions. Let simmer 15 minutes. Meanwhile, grease baking dish. Mix the cornbread mix with the egg, milk, corn and jalapenos. Place 1/2 the cornbread mixture in the dish. Add olives to the meat and dump all the meat on top of the cornbread. Top with the Cheddar and the remaining cornbread. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, or until the top is nice and golden brown. Could place a spoon full of salsa and a dab of sour cream on top of each slice.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to C&Z pumpkingrl, and thanks for sharing this recipe - it sounds delicious!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect for a cold winter night!!
UptownGirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: YUM! Reply with quote

Welcome....and thanks! This sounds right up my alley for a Sunday evening!
Celia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does sound good! Thank you so much!
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recipe does sound good, but I have a question.....

How do you make cornbread from scratch please?

I was sent a box of it from the US, and made it up and enjoyed it with butter and honey.... but cannot bear to think that it is so difficult that I can only beg friends to send packet mixes of it to me. Surely it is simple to make from scratch?

Hoping for a nice easy and quick recipe so I can make this yummy dish soon... Very Happy
woodstocker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie wrote:
The recipe does sound good, but I have a question.....

How do you make cornbread from scratch please?

Here's a couple of recipes from Food Network and Epicurious... to be "authentic" cornbread, it should be baked in a cast iron skillet, so the outside gets crispy.

Buttermilk Cornbread- http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_13504,00.html?rsrc=search

Tyler Florence's Cornbread- http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_33817,00.html?rsrc=search

Gourmet's Cornbread for stuffing (this might be a little dry for eating straight, but in a casserole, it might actually work better) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/13390

hope this helps some! I'm sure someone around here has their grandmother's recipe.
Clearly it is not the lovelorn sufferer who seeks solace in chocolate, but rather the chocolate-deprived individual, who, desperate, seeks in mere love a pale approximation of bittersweet euphoria. Sandra Boynton.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie, there is also a thread in this forum

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=792&highlight=buttermilk

on the topic of cornbread. Is cornbread an unusual dish in France and Australia?
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a postscript to my post just previous, Clotilde (in 2004) was asking the same question--anybody have a recipe for corn bread?

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2004/06/corn_muffins.php

So now you have many choices.
I think there is some disagreement about corn meal--different kinds in Italy, USA,--maybe it's a matter of different names for the same thing. Very confusing.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale, yes cornbread is an unusual dish in Australia.

I don't remember what's in the threads you have given links for and haven't re-read them, but I gather cornmeal is one of the ingredients in cornbread (well that makes sense - D'OH!).

I went searching in my local supermarket for cornmeal last week for another recipe and couldn't find it. I might have more luck in a Health Food shop or continental grocer.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the links. Silly me... I didn't think to look in the archives, just went with my first thought and asked again.... Embarassed

I had never eaten cornbread till I had it in USA, and then a C&Z friend sent me a package of mix in the mail. It is an interesting texture, and I think it would be delicious in this mexican recipe.
woodstocker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornbread and chili are also a classic combination, if you're looking for something else to use it for. Or dressing (to stuff a bird), or for breakfast, or fried chicken,....now I've got myself excited and I have to go to work. Rolling Eyes Thank goodness Spring Break is next week- no class and no work!
Clearly it is not the lovelorn sufferer who seeks solace in chocolate, but rather the chocolate-deprived individual, who, desperate, seeks in mere love a pale approximation of bittersweet euphoria. Sandra Boynton.
emilyj

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Ok, this is a really stupid question but I thought that polenta and cornmeal were similar- can you substitute one for the other or are they totally different? I just happen to have about 2 kilos of polenta at home that I would love to use up!
woodstocker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polenta and grits are the same thing, that I do know (even if I'm going to be shot for admitting that out loud). Both are cornmeal products, I think the main difference between them and regular cornmeal is the grind. Here's a link from Cooking Light, where they use cornmeal and polenta interchangeably (esp after looking at the link for their supplier) Flavor Profiles- polenta
emilyj

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks woodstocker! Right, I'm off to try some of those cornbread recipes and use up some polenta.

P.S. Judy, you can get cornbread at the Adelaide Central Market (at Dough next to the cheese shops) if you want to buy it ready-made
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: