Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Truffe de Maroc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Truffe de Maroc Reply with quote

Good evening all!

I am puzzled. When buying my fruit and veges the other day the shop keeper gave me a truffe de Maroc to try. Now I know that truffles are not found solely in France, but had never heard of Moroccan ones! Shocked

While I am familiar with what to do with French truffles, I am not sure if this is of the same family and will taste the same. The perfume is not very strong at all, which makes me inclined to think it is different.

Can anyone tell me anything about them, how they have used them etc please.

The truffe I have is about the size of a walnut and I think it is what would be classified as a "white" truffle (it is pale - not the rich dark colour of french truffles). The outside still has a bit of the sandy dirt clinging to it and I am not sure exactly how to clean it. I do not imagine water would be good for it, but don't know whether to brush it with a dry brush or a damp cloth (as per mushrooms).

Thanking you all in advance.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie, I am intrigued and jealous both--I have never been given a truffle--not by grocer, friend, lover, parent, or pig farmer.
Truth is, of course, I've never even tasted one. Maybe you should carefully lick it clean and buy a very expensive (lots of pictures) Moroccan cookbook before you proceed.

This sort of thing must happen only in Paris, or only to you!

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200205/desert.truffles.galore.htm
(This links to an article called "Desert Truffles Galore" , written by a fellow from New Zealand, writing from Egypt!)
eileen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, debbie,
no, i've never had one of these, although i've heard of 'desert' truffles before. if you think it's like a white truffle, clean it delicately with a (tooth)brush. and, like a white truffle, maybe it would be good shaved upon a risotto, a simple scrambled egg, or a pasta.
my first home experience with white truffles (from alba) was in february; my only advice (besides gently brushing) is to serve it on something that is starchy/creamy and will stay hot. i was happy with risotto and less happy with a very simple pasta that had cooled by the time it got to table.
and that was with a truffle that was pushing its identify into our nostrils! mmmmmmm.....
please let us know how you get on; i live in an area with many middle-eastern shops, so i am now intrigued!
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truffles are now being grown all over the world, and they are not always high quality so you need to be wary if purchasing. Lucky you to be given one. I've read the Truffle book by the NZ expert Gareth but don't seem to remember him mentioning Morrocan truffles. Here's Gareth's site.
http://www.limestonehills.co.nz/Down%20On%20The%20Farm/index.html
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I will research "desert truffles" and see what happens.

I was thinking along the lines of eggs myself. Simply because I think white truffles are so delicious with them. The advice about creamy starchy is good.

Will have a try out and let you know.

Sorry Gingerpale... but it is an "only to me" kind of thing...... Embarassed This shopkeeper is always slipping extra treats into my bag. Quite often if he sees me walking up the street he will give me a few strawberries, cherries or whatever is in season to snack on as I go... my husband thinks it is hilarious. I also get the same at the boulanger - I ask for a baguette and wind up with a small strawberry tart and a baguette.... The fromager calls me over when he sees me to give me tastes of new cheeses.... The charcuterie always gives me extra slices of ham or a small sliver of pate..... Don't ask me why - I have no idea how it happens. Maybe they think I need constant snacks to maintain my (hefty by french terms) size?? Confused
David

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie I am just waiting an opportunity to go food shopping in Paris with you! sounds like an adventure.

Has anyone ever tried a truffle quiche??
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looked up desert truffle and found heaps of info!!!!! Thank you!

Turns out they are only available in March and April and are a different type of truffle to the french and italian ones. Also much cheaper as they are more readily found in the season.

Apparently the flavour and aroma are not as strong as the other types (one thing I had notice) and that they are added to couscous and other dishes to give subtle flavour.

I am still going to try it on eggs first though, as I think that will give me the best idea of its flavour.

Might go back to the shop and see how much they are. If they are reasonably priced I may buy some more to make truffle oil..... or try my hand at preserving it somehow......
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S.

David, you would be very welcome to come shopping with me.

Last time Pestoman and his wife were here the guy at the veg stall at the marche gave us extra veg for free.... my Mum thought it was hilarious that I have to take a carry bag with me when I walk around the shops even if just buying a baguette... simply because of all teh "gifts"... Embarassed Laughing

Maybe some of it will rub off on others (whatever it is??)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: