Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

wall words
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: wall words Reply with quote

hi all...more than nice to be back...almost back anyway...the places I go................

was reading a magazine article on the alphabet and how it can be used...cut out letters from pastry etc...photos of exquisite bowls and jugs with prose..ahhhhhhhhhh

thought this was fun..and got to wondering what language I'd put where...walls, ceilings, shelves, on the roof! now that would be fun...

Derek Jarman had a John Donne poem on the side of his fisherman's cottage...each letter hand carved methinks..

http://www.wonderfulgraffiti.com/photo_album.php?pid=132

I rather like the idea of "Arrange whatever pieces come your way." (thank you Virginia) perhaps in exquisite calligraphy on a silver bracelet...'twould be an interesting tattoo!...don't really see maself as a tat gal...however am imagining it in fine script around the wrist...it would be a reminder...and pretty at the same time....however don't see maself as a tat gal Wink

any wonderful graffiti ideas?

http://www.wonderfulgraffiti.com/photo_album.php?pid=132
Rachel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure if this counts as graffiti because it was removable, but my first two years at university, I taped a load of my favourite poems to the walls of my room... the advantage being that if I ever got tired of any of them or wanted to change/add anything it was very easy! I think I still have the lot in my closet back home - I don't remember the exact contents but I'm fairly sure they included e.e. cummings' 'since feeling is first' and Yeats's 'The Cat and the Moon' (those two I will NEVER get tired of!).
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Rachel ma dear, perhaps these two might like to re-appear...poetry loves to be visable..and think of the visitors who will be drawn to the wall words...

I've a copy of Constantine P. Cavafy's "Ithaca" taped to a wall...am now imagining it as full on calligraphy drawn on the wall....oh yes methinks..oh yes ~ now, what type of font...oops a late night pun!

will ask the calligraphy angels to send me a scribe who works with walls 'n paint 'n such!

As you set out on your journey to Ithaca,
pray that the road is long,
full of adventure, full of knowledge.
The Lestrygonians and the Cyclops,
the angry Poseidon -- do not fear them:
You will never find such as these on your path,
if your thoughts remain lofty, if a fine
emotion touches your spirit and your body.
The Lestrygonians and the Cyclops,
the fierce Poseidon you will never encounter,
if you do not carry them within your soul,
if your soul does not set them up before you.

Pray that the road is long.
That the summer mornings are many, when,
with such pleasure, with such joy
you will enter ports seen for the first time;
stop at Phoenician markets,
and purchase fine merchandise,
mother-of-pearl and coral, amber and ebony,
and sensual perfumes of all kinds,
as many sensual perfumes as you can;
visit many Egyptian cities,
to learn and learn from scholars.

Always keep Ithaca in your mind.
To arrive there is your ultimate goal.
But do not hurry the voyage at all.
It is better to let it last for many years;
and to anchor at the island when you are old,
rich with all you have gained on the way,
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches.

Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage.
Without her you would have never set out on the road.
She has nothing more to give you.

And if you find her poor, Ithaca has not deceived you.
Wise as you have become, with so much experience,
you must already have understood what Ithacas mean.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad to see you Madame! Thanks for the poem--it sounds very much like yourself.
(This Internet is instant grafitti, all grafitti, all the time.)
I'm crazy for stencilling--my walls always kept plain white for that purpose! Mostly pictures, but phrases too:
My heart stood still.
I'd give anything to see you again.
Sun lights up the daytime, moon lights up the night. I light up when you call my name... (All bits of song lyrics-- the Mamas and Papas, Linda Ronstadt, Peggy Lee.)
Rich ( my SO) is embarrassed by love talk on the walls hee hee. He would not let me put "Ricardo y Rosamaria" in the kitchen, however, with doves. He pointed out we're Swiss and Irish.
georgia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame, you are in good company...If I'm not mistaken, Caroline Kennedy read "Ithaca" at her mother's funeral. It was one of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis' favorites...
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok wall word folk...how about these! from Derek Jarman's imagination...he decided to place a John Donne poem on an outside wall..and here are snaps for thee all

in a rather scrumptious way I've felt part of that environment from the moment I saw the photos....the joy of a poem wall...dear Derek...talk about a complex soul...merci Derek for sharing this precious place with us ...(it isn't Derek on the ladder)

golly I'm in the mood to play with the alpabet and surfaces of all kinds...I can remember when the kids were little finding oblong stickers "It's fun to read."...I stuck them on the stairs

now there's a game...what words on what buildings....there's an enormous house being built at the end of our street...perhaps a gigantic BIG with !!! alongside Wink

words on the front door would be lovely...

gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think what you could do with empty rooms and blank walls and Beatles songs -- Strawberry Fields.. She Came in through the Bathroom Window! what fun to carry out the theme..
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno why these came to me:

We don't need no education
We dont need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.

'n imagine a field of tulips with a winding mosaiced "tiptoe through the tulips" path Wink
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about ...

An Englishman's Home is his Castle... But I'm not English and this isn't his Castle!

Or
... Love fled
And paced upon the mountains overhead
And hid his face amid a cloud of stars.

Or

You think it horrible that lust and rage
Should dance attention upon my old age
They were not suck a plague when I was young;
What else have I to spur me into song?

Both from Yeats.
minty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The famous French writer Michel de Montaigne used to write his prose on the walls and the ceiling of his libray...
he asked for the following text to be added there after his death ! Very Happy

« L’an du Christ 1571, âgé de trente-huit ans, la veille des calendes de mars, anniversaire de sa naissance, Michel de Montaigne, depuis longtemps déjà lassé de la servitude de la cour de parlement et des charges publiques, mais encore dans le plein de ses forces, s’en vint se reposer sur le sein des doctes Vierges où, dans la paix et la sécurité, il passera les jours qui lui restent à vivre. Puisse le destin lui permettre de parfaire ce séjour des douces retraites de ses ancêtres qu’il consacre à sa liberté, à sa tranquillité, à ses loisirs. » Michel de Montaigne
Cette inscription, aujourd’hui disparue, fut peinte, à sa demande, en sa librairie.
georgia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In college I had a boyfriend (briefly) who had written "Abandon all hope ye who enter here" above the door to his bedroom. It was the only thing poetic about him.

Does this count??? Wink
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends, did you enter there... and if so, did you actually abandon hope?!!

I would have over my bedroom door, Enter this world, leave your mark before the mark leaves you. Mainly because my room is my own little world - a world of books which in themselves are little worlds and in which I have slept and dreamed... in my own little worlds...

If it were my brothers bedroom it would most likely be, I can hear music. Because apart from being good at drawing, he loves his music, both playing it and listening to it.
georgia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaa...didn't enter. No poetry to the guy, remember? Besides, that was his idea of "funny". Didn't want that regret in my memory bank.

This thread has got me thinking of what I'd want on my walls, but I need more time.

Later...
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A caution: almost everything clever/funny/cute painted on a wall will eventually become simply not seen, or trite or old, so make it classic and simple or well loved or easily painted over!

"The truth works"

"All you need is love is all you need is love is.. " (this is nice in a circle.)
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgia, of course it counts!...wall words...maybe a blackboard wall Wink

we had a fabulous graffiti wall many years back...doing house extensions...and a wall had to come down...whenever friends came over they could write away...by golly it was fun....wish I'd taken photos..too busy to think at that time..

hugs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: