Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Knitting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweetbabyjames-- I have not myself made a computer pattern, but many are made that way now. I bought one online--it's from a *black & white* photo of the Beatles, so the list of embroidery floss required is a long list of about 30 shades of gray! I'm sure it will give me the blind staggers..

Debbie, your Irish wool is--muted colors? bright colors? pastels? one incredible color? How about a one-of-a kind long sweater--almost a dress?

Judy, yes I immediately saw the needlework in the background of Madame's photos! (Always peer at the details (behind/beside the subject) in pictures--it's reading between the lines, sort of, and very revealing!)
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't you love a C&Z home tour? Nosing around in everyone's crafty nooks...

Gingerpale, do you just cross off the squares on the cross stitch pattern as you go? I'm wondering why it's called "counted", unless that's it.
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandmother tried to teach me how to knit and crochet.
Once.
After doing a scarf better described as resembling the profile of a tornado, she quite simply said to me... "Don't knit. Stick to cooking. Its safer.".

Go, Baby James!

Gingerpale, you are a very industrious woman!!!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all...Jude, the days have been sort of sort of..if ya get ma drift....layers of life 'n such..that about covers it!

so, here I am...amongst thread and wool and needle folk...am as happy as a pig in mud! today spent a few gorgeous hours at the NSW Embroiderers' Guild

a friend of mine is a member and some of her work was on display...26 April will see us revisit...an evening lecture on Italian lace...examples ..'twill be scrumptious...you should have seen the chair covers in the library...exquisite!

darlin' Soph is the knit princess...breathtaking work...she tends to finish her work...rather promptly! moi on the other hand...easily distracted Wink so the beautiful shawl I began last Winter (periwinkle) will hopefully be finished THIS Winter...

'n quiet work on Barbara's waratah...the meditative joy of needlework...

somewhere somewhere I've a photo of a couple ..perhaps from an old Victoria mag..yes..that's it...a couple dressed in Winter coats ...on a railway station...elegant suitcases...sort of '20sish....I wondered what it would be like to cross stitch the design....Soph fiddled around with the image....on the computer...it was fun....I could have 5 colours or what seemed 500...the 5 almost looked like a watercolour...where oh where is that photo? anyone out there know Wink Wink Wink

this thread has me all inspired...ummmmmmmmmm to sift through the Victorias! I was sad when that mag folded...a sign of changing times....I enjoyed the pretties...

hugs
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame, it's been ages since I've thought of Victoria. I used to love that rag...or shall I say hankie? There was one December issue I loved in particular featuring lots of red velvet. So handsome I could bite it!

Even though Victoria's gone, I'm happy to notice the new trend among designers toward intricate, handmade designs. It seems part of an ongoing aesthetic cycle - from sleek, sexy, metal modernism to tangles of voluptuous, bohemian nature-inspired motifs...from classicism to modernism to art nouveau and on. Only we do cycle so fast nowadays...maybe it becomes less of a cycle than a daily balance...toasters and tea cozies.

And so many women I know comment on the meditative benefits. It's a shame more men don't knit or crochet or spin. Imagine the world where soldiers, generals and presidents make their own socks!
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBJ,

Although my father does not have a knack for thread arts as in the conventional sense, my dear old Dad is the GO TO GUY for zipper installation and other mysterious feats on the old Singer sewing machine.

Having been an old school Marine, Pop was never one to thrust forth an armload of mending at my mother. He would do his own chores: mend, repair, patch, re-cover things (his firetruck seat cover was awesome to me as I recall), and place zippers in backpacks, jeans, etc. .

He would probably actually love the process of knitting, but being a Marine, well, you know how that goes...
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a set of cross-stitched pictures once--4 merry-go-round (carousel) horses--color!--lots of beadwork, metallic threads, each one different--all glowing and impressive. I started to ooh and ahh and say "she" and "her", but the shop owner quickly corrected me--they were done by the father of 3!
Men tie flies, those tiny and intricate feathered artificial insects used as bait when flyfishing. Scrimshaw (isn't it beautiful!) and just plain whittling I suppose are traditionally men's crafts. Then there's surgery, of course, men are good at that, women are what percentage of surgeons now? Diamond cutters and dentists do some careful carving, too!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

men used to knit jumpers years back...bones as needles...

this is a lovely thread...rather like an exquisite balm for the soul...merci all...
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am a good knitter and an excellent quilter - but I would always rather be reading a book! Or hitting a tennis ball. So - aside from a scarf for my son this Christmas - a lovely sage green ribbed wool scarf, I never knit anymore . And now that I am past the age of making quilts for my friend's babies (probably made 15 baby quilts within a 2-3 year time span)(which would be BEFORE my baby was born, immediately reducing my available time to NOTHING), I won't be doing that again - until it's time for grandbabies! Laughing

My grandmother taught me to crochet, but I gave it up when she died. I only liked doing it, because I could spend time with her! I was not any good at it. She however was amazing!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a gorgeous image...Donna 'n her grandma
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knitting! I've missed a few days of knitting & 'puter time due to Real Life. Wonderful to come back to this discussion. Avid knitter here, everything from socks that really fit my feet to lace, intarsia (love Kaffe Fassett designs), and arans. I design knitting too, but not patterns to sell.

Currently on the needles:
- 2nd sock of "Meida's Socks" in handpainted green merino -- lacy leg, eye of partridge heel & stockinette foot.
- "Grape Arbor Shawl" from Wendy Johnson's book, in plum Zephyr wool/silk blend
- "Cider House Rules Vest" in 100% alpaca, a very heathery gray teal. Stockinette, with nice couture details.

I want to knit Alice Starmore's "St. Brigid" pullover & a fair-isle cardigan before the year's out. I could go on and on about knitting. Y'all PM me if you want to talk more or ask questions.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...where oh where oh where oh did you find Alice Starmore...my daughter is impressed..."just beautiful stuff"

..Soph showed me this site...

http://wendyjohnson.net/knit/brigid.htm

knitted hugs
georgia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. That settles it. I'm moving next door to Brighidsdaughter, wherever it is that she lives. Or maybe even next door to Sophie. This k1, p1 knitter is green with envy. Just finished a size 2T cardigan for the granddaughter in a beautiful Italian yarn, but it was nothing but a garter stitch. NOBODY I know knits the way I'd like to learn to knit Crying or Very sad , so I guess I'm at the mercy of the local yarn store and their classes. Meanwhile, keep talking about your beautiful projects. I need the inspiration!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgia Darling...here's a true story...

Sophie taught herself to knit...no classes...she taught herself the flute...bought one on ebay and took herself off to the local library....she's teaching herself Latin...

when I bow in wonder she can't see the point...in her eyes if you want to do something you simply do it....she sees it as step by step...not "I can't"...

there's an exquisite shawl she made...a big circular thing in red yarn...fine...the border she patterned as alternate French flags (all red yet somehow flagish) and Eiffel towers...it's quite something else again!

there are fabulous books around..with clear as a bell instructions...go for it Georgia...either that or I could suggest Soph take a flight...she's THE most patient teacher you could ever ever imagine....

knitted hugs in the finest soft-purple yarn
georgia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, madame...thank you for the words of encouragement...the books have gotten me this far (happily so), so i'll just continue and see where the journey heads...might just push me to pick up those piano books again!

...your sophie sounds wondrous, indeed, for reasons far beyond knitting...i've got a couple of those daughters myself and know how it feels...beyond my wildest and best dreams of the adults i hoped they'd become...

...an eiffel tower border, eh? hmmmm...k1, p2...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: