Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

aleppo pepper and bitter orange rinds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lawgirlontherun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: aleppo pepper and bitter orange rinds Reply with quote

hi

i've been a reader of c &z for a long time but have never posted before...

i did a silly thing recently. i had been an avid cook...and then all this crazy stuff was going on in my life...so i hadn't cooked in 4 months (aside from the things that aren't really cooking, so much as just survival). anyway, to revitalize my cooking, i went to the local gourmet market and bought various new things to try to cook new things. (i used to do this, then try to find recipes or ideas on what to do with them. my poor now-ex-boyfriend used to be my guinea pig ! ) anyway, the most recent market excursion left me with aleppo pepper (its red and flakey from syria?), and bitter orange peel sprinkles. does anyone have any creative and yummy uses for these? right now they're just sitting on my spice rack begging to be used....
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used either ingredient. I could imagine using the bitter orange peel with rice either in risotto or a rice pudding. It might also be nice in a chocolate cream. or mousse style dessert. It might be an interesting addition to a tuna dish. The pepper I would use in a spice rub for pork.
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lawgirlontherun.

How about using both in Clotilde's Chocolate Chili Bites?
Richard Leader

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange peel is traditionally used in marinades for meats - so you could do that - or to lighten a beef stew of some sort?
The Chinese use alot of dried tangerine peel in various recipes - many of them beef based I believe.

How big are the pieces of peel? If they are big enough, could you soak them overnight in something like Drambui or Cointreau and then coat them in chocolate??
lawgirlontherun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Leader wrote:
Orange peel is traditionally used in marinades for meats - so you could do that - or to lighten a beef stew of some sort?
The Chinese use alot of dried tangerine peel in various recipes - many of them beef based I believe.

How big are the pieces of peel? If they are big enough, could you soak them overnight in something like Drambui or Cointreau and then coat them in chocolate??

the peel pieces are small...more like sea salt sized. meat marinade sounds good. i'll have to whip something up....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: