Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Italy in May

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Italy in May Reply with quote

We're travelling to Italy in May...first trip to Rome and a few points south. We'll be in Rome on both ends of the trip, also in Umbria and Sorrento. In Rome we'll be staying near the Spanish Steps, then across the river near Piazza Cavour. Any dining recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Rachel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you, Georgia, you're in for a treat! I've only been to Rome once, seven years ago, but I still have fond memories of several places and according to a couple of reliable guidebooks, they're still going strong:

Fiaschetteria Beltramme, near the Spanish Steps - a lovely traditional Roman trattoria. It's not cheap, but given the quality, the prices are reasonable.

Da Giggetto, in the Jewish quarter, is a good place to sample Roman Jewish food (don't miss the fried artichokes, whatever you do).

For coffee, Sant'Eustachio (between the Piazza Navona and the Pantheon) is reputed to be the best in Rome and I stuck to it faithfully, but one of my friends swears by Tazza d'Oro (near the Pantheon). And for snacks while sightseeing, there's a wonderful bakery off the Campo de' Fiori called (I think) Antico Forno de' Campo de' Fiori which has a vast selection of Roman pizzas which you can buy by the slice to take away (my fave being the potato, garlic and herb, which is nowhere near as heavy as it sounds).

Hope that helps!
georgia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, Rachel. I find guidebooks are a good start, but nothing beats a personal recommendation. I'll search out at least some of the places you note. I'm mentally there already!
Rachel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention it in my first post, but if you find yourself with the common traveller's affliction of being starved for a big salad, there's a mini-chain called L'Insalata Ricca (the original one is near the Pantheon/Piazza Navona and I'm afraid I don't remember where the other two are) which does a huge variety of delicious and interesting salads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: