Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Portuguese cookbooks (in English)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rachel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Portuguese cookbooks (in English) Reply with quote

I just got back from my first visit to Portugal and one of the greatest revelations, along with the landscape, the architecture and the music was, you guessed it, the food! Although I think I've reached my limit on salt cod prepared countless ways and pasteis de nata for a little while, I'd very much like to try my hand at Portuguese cooking sometime soon.

I saw loads of cookbooks in bookshops throughout my travels, but let's just say that my Portuguese is not appreciably better now than it was two weeks ago. Embarassed So, I'm wondering... can anyone recommend a good Portuguese cookbook in English? (or at a pinch, French?)

Looking forward to your suggestions!
Saudades

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once you develope a taste for Pt [wines] you may find you want nothing else.....Wink

actually there are quite a few Engrish versions out there...and i've got all those i wanted. the one i use all the time is by Jean Anderson whose passion for Pt food brings a tear to my eye. as does -Pt's answer to Delia Smith- Maria de Lourdes Modesto's traditional PT cookery book, which is a fantastic read if you have a love affair with Pt and things in it. others i have to check my shelf later as they're not within reach at this precise moment.

i recently picked up a couple of Macanese cookery books in Macau which i thought were quite interesting as they also combine Pt ingredients with local home cookery. we, people who love to eat have the Pt to be thankful for [well who do you think brought back spices from distant lands and introduced them to countries that have cuisines as we know today? Smile] i know i am thankful.

cheers

was there over the holidays and came back a pig and a drunk as planned Twisted Evil i have some photos of the food and wines archived here with names of dishes [i took better notes this time] but stories that go with the photos are found somewhere else

Last edited by Saudades on Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
David

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely delightful Saudades! I know nothing of Portugese cuisine--your photos have me salivating!
Saudades

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, David. you're most kind, as always. i regret the photo are compressesed quite a bit but since it's a free account i can't really do much Sad that's why i post them somewhere else first.

can't wait to return at the end of the year again. the train rides right through endless vineyards are absolutely wonderful! Very Happy

cheers
Rachel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Saudades (love your name)! I'll check out your suggestions.
Coco

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudades wrote:
once you develope a taste for Pt [wines] you may find you want nothing else.....Wink

You aren't kidding! I don't even drink, yet over the course of the 2 weeks I spent in Lagos in the Algarve, my Portuguese friend and I went through 10 bottles of wine! Cheap and delicious local wines!

The food there is beyond scrumptious! Orange yolks in the eggs, the fresh cheeses are to die for... Ummmmmm.... lovely!

Cool
Saudades

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel, don't let saudade get a hold of you. once it does it will never let go. cheers Very Happy

------------------------------
Coco, 10 bottles in 2 weeks, eh. pretty good for a beginner Laughing

i don't have a sweet tooth but this is my favourite breakfast in Portugal Embarassed

one of my 'weaknesses' is the fresh cheeses. omg omg! i could eat an entire meal of chewy bread [rustic Pt breads are fantastic], fresh cheeses, and a bottle of vinho tinto, and nothing else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: